Consequences of low heart rate (bradycardia)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lance

Has anyone experienced a low (46 BPM) heart rate and vision problems simultaneously?

When I was in the hospital after surgery my heart rate dropped to 39. They ended up having to put a pacemaker in and I was told that if they hadn't my organs would have started shutting down. Can't really help with the vision part of your question. As all I did was sleep when my heart rate was that low. But I would definitely bring up your low heart rate with your cardiologist and see what they say.

My heart rate stays around mid 50s, but my cardio has me on Metoprolol tart to slow my heart rate down. Alot of times...i feel weak, and tired also. The vision is still good though.

Joe had to get a pacemaker implanted for bradycardia. It helped to keep his HR rate at 60BPM

He didn't use it all the time, but prior to getting it, he was fainting with no warning, just dropping over.

The pacemaker stopped that.

I was overprescribed BP meds for a couple of months that resulted in my heart rate often being in the 40's (among other ill effects).

That is simply too low. It can lead to unexpected fainting, falling asleep uncontrollably (happened to me at work several times), loss of consciousness danger while driving, blurred vision and other vision issues, difficulty breathing and/or SOB, and other issues. In my case, two valves were affected and began leaking, when they had not leaked at all prior, and I developed both AFib and "pauses" in my heart rhythm, neither of which was present before.

Does your doctor know your heart rate is that slow? You need to get off of or to a lower strength of whichever medications are causing this. Contact your doctor and get it arranged. If your doctor doesn't agree, I wouldn't hesitate to get a second opinion as quickly as possible.

Bradycardia means a heart rate lower than 60 BPM. I never had much problem when mine was in the 50s, but very few people are fully capable with their heart rate in and out of the 40s.

Best wishes,

Is that a resting heart rate? What kind of vision problems? I ask because my resting heart rate in usually in the mid-forties, and I'm not sure if the sensation I have sometimes is a vision problem or lightheadness.
I've also been wondering if that (and the BP meds that I assume cause it) are part of the problem I have trying to get in condition for hiking. I'm breathing hard on the treadmill with a heartrate about 90.
I just saw Tobagotwo's post...

If someone mentions blood pressure or heart rate without specifically mentioning exercise, it should refer to a resting heart rate or BP.

Let's see...

Lightheadedness, visual problems, shortness of breath. Those would be things that were mentioned. None of these things should be normal parts of the average person's existence.

I would revisit your above issues with your cardiologist or general practitioner, and mention the BP drugs. If there is no concern from them, then I would seek a second opinion. There are lots of BP drug combinations, and the one you're on sounds too severe. Sounds like it could be less quantities or different drugs. BP meds are not intended to damage your quality of life. If they affect your day-to-day living, you need to question the point of them.

Best wishes,

Thanks folks .................

Thanks folks .................

for all your helpful input.
This is the second time in a month that double vision occurred. Luckily I was at home watching TV and took my blood pressure--140 something over 70 something. It was the double vision and light headedness that caused the concern. I've been taking the same strength blood pressure meds for about 8 years. When the double vision occurred previously I wasn't in a position to check the BP which automatically gives the heart rate. I put my heart monitor and the pulse stayed low for about an hour. Hmmm

So I'll be contacting my PCP in the a.m.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
May be time to find different BP drugs. They tend to lose effectiveness in individuals over time. Fortunately, there are a ton of them, and there is going to be a combination out there that will get your BP lower than it is now without sacrificing your heart rate.

It's also worth it to check out your INR, as extended double vision or other vision issues can be a result of a TIA, which is basically a temporary stroke that may be a warning of a situation that can lead to a regular stroke.

Also, visual migraines are not at all uncommon with valve issues. You can search the site for "migraines," as there's a lot already written about it. That may explain some of your visual issues.

Best wishes,

I have long had a low heart rate, typically in the 50s. With Beta Blockers at low dose, I had a Holter test for 24 hours. Asleep, my heart rate dropped to 39, but at work during a very stressful negotiation, my HR was 104. During exercise, it was 90s but I only do brisk walking for half an hour. Am 39 with BAV and some aortic dilation. Keeping my BP lower like 110-70 and HR in 50s was part of cardiologists plan to have my heart surgery be prolonged. Despite some light-headedness or dizziness, my echos show my situation has been stable for 18 months now... so for me, i'll take the side -effects. Maybe if it affected my vision, I would mind though.

Hope you get to the root cause of the problem and they may or may not be related, vision issues and HR.

Best wishes,

Rick

Rick,
While asleep your heart rate dropped did this continue in the morning. Yesterday mine was low in the a.m. and fine in the p.m. dropping again this a.m.. Maybe sleeping isn't healthy;)

Sue
What is a complete heart block?

Nancy, PCP has ordered some tests and has referred me to a cardiologist. Hopefully it doesn't lead to a pacemaker. No thank you, wires inserted into heart--I shudder to think.:eek:

Prior to my surgery with my leaky valve and some left ventricular hypertrophy, my resting HR was in the mid 70's and my BP was in the prehypertension range. Had a lot of light-headedness, double vision and ocular migraines pre-op in the last few months before my surgery.

Nearly nine years post-op with my St Jude in place, my resting HR is in the low-to-mid 40's and my BP is 118/72. No meds other than my Coumadin. I still get the ocular migraines on rare occasions, mostly after I have a lot of caffiene.

I added a lot of aerobic exercise to my regimen after my surgery which has helped my numbers, but I think the major factor is that my heart just pumps a lot more efficiently with the new valve in place.

Mark

My husband always had a heart rate in the 60s. Over time, it went slower and slower, to the point where his typical rate was 55, and had gone down to as low as 48. He also complained of vision problems, and lightheadedness.

Last week he had a pacemaker installed, and his heart rate is a consistent 75.

Jerry's pulse runs in the 40s most of the time, with little or no ill effects that we know of. We had kept a BP log that also included pulse rate for several weeks which was reported to the cardio's nurse every 10 days or so. Nothing was ever said about the pulse and when a nurse in another dr's office commented on it last week I called the cardio's office and was told that apparently that's just normal for Jerry. He has an app't this week for BP issues so we'll discuss it with the cardio.

Has anyone experienced a low (46 BPM) heart rate and vision problems simultaneously?

Yes - I have. Just recently I was having vision problems that came on suddently. I was surfing the web and then all of a sudden it seemed like the 'white's were brighter and I was seeing swirls of black. Kind of hard to describe, just a rather light headed feeling. I also had a sudden onset headache. I don'tknow my precise heart rate at the time, I got up to get my heart rate monitor and when I checked it then it was 50 something, so I assume it was a bit lower when completely at rest. I laid down, fell asleep and when I woke up all was OK.

After reading what tobagotwo had to say I am going to make sure to discuss with my cardio in my follow-up this week. Often at work when sitting for long periods of time I'll check and my heart rate is 45. I have felt that overwhelming urge to just lay my head down and sleep.

I was put on Metoprolol about 6 weeks ago - a very low dose, but maybe it needs to be lower.

Rhena

Bradycardia, as others pointed out above, is a heart rate below 60bpm. It is so named because it varies significantly from the norm, and specific symptoms are associated with it.

My HR is in the 50s mostly, without problems. That seems to be the case with many people with HRs in the 50s.

People who are highly atheletic (MarkU) and those who are slight of frame may have less trouble with a resting heartbeat in the 40s, but most people will experience difficulties and symptoms from it. As it can affect consciousness or cause visual disturbances, it's a danger to most of those with that issue. As seen above, it's sufficient cause in most people for reassessment of their prescriptions or even a pacemaker.

While people may feel that the low pulse isn't an issue for them, the famous incident when George Bush choked on a pretzel was partly blamed by some White House physicians on his low, atheletic resting pulse, apparently listed as being in the high thirties to mid forties, which may have been a cause for him fainting.

Most people should be looking to their physicians to either rework their prescriptions to bring their pulses up from the forties (if you are taking BP meds, the pulse in the 40s is not likely to be all your body's idea), determine if there is some other action that needs to be taken to bring the heart rate up, or determine that it's a safe rate for them as an individual.

Best wishes,

But Mark, you more than make up for it in the first part. You're a source of hope and strength for those who are just starting their journey.

And studies have shown that those who have a little more weight as they age tend to fare better healthwise than those who become somewhat underweight.

Be happy,

Lance,
My HR at 39 was while I was asleep. Upon waking it is usually in the mid to high 40s and goes up in my first hour awake as I start activity. I dont think that sleeping is an issue: I understand rest and also nighttime lowers people's HR. I understand my rate is in the bottom range of what my cardiologist will accept so I cannot increase Beta Blockers or anything that lowers HR without his OK.

Hope all is well.

Rick

Latest posts

Back