Choosing either the On-X or St. Jude Regent...opinions?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my surgeon started me out at 2.5---3.5 for INR and 81mg aspirin........after the first year we dropped the aspirin and I am comfortable with my existing range. It is super easy to maintain and has a bit of wiggle room too.

Bina, Luana and Phillip B (or anyone else with a Regent), it sounds like you all got the Regent like I did. Just out of curiosity (if you don't mind sharing) what is your recommended INR range?

Yes, I have a St. Jude Regent. Recommended range is 2.0 - 3.0 and for the last 3 months I've been coming in at 2.5.

Andy....glad you're doing great....I'll let you know what my doctor sets my INR numbers at after my AVR next Wednesday June 9th.....and ill also asking him why he is using the numbers her is and what medical info is the basis of his decision.....and I am SURE you don't have a quack doctor.....you are living proof of that........Mike

Andy...i meant to ask you because you are the man to know.....Is the St Jude REGENT valve the one that is usually used in the US now days? I see on the St Jude Professional site that they also have a St Jude MASTERS Series valve and the St Judes MASTERS HP series valve.......Is the REGENT a new updated valve compared to the MASTERS series valves? Im curious and thought you may know......thanks Andy

Mike, all I know is the Masters series has been around longer - maybe 30 yrs or so? I think it's still used, but now the newer Regent has been around for a few years - long enough to have a good track record though. I don't know when they use which one. I got the impression it's more of a surgeon preference kind of thing. In other words, if you work with the same valve all the time, you get used to the little things about it and get comfortable with how "install" that particular valve. My surgeon said he prefers the Regent, and most of the time that's what he uses, but sometimes gets in there and finds he can't make one of them fit right (apparently there are diff. sizes of it), so he always has a backup plan (or two) which includes a different valve or two. I can't remember what his backup plans were for me - he told me, I just can't remember. What he told me (and again, don't know how true this is, but he seems to know his stuff) is the Regent is similar to the On-X in that it tolerates lower INRs... Please keep me posted on what your surgeon says, and I'll do same after my appt. early next week! I

Heartman, I think that the St. Jude Masters valves go back to the late 70s. The Regent is the newest valve from St. Jude.

Andy, the valves do come in sizes, just like people; they range from 19mm - 29mm and you can tell what size your valve is by the model # of your valve. The first two digits are the size of your valve. If you don't already have the model # and serial # of your valve, you can get them from your CT. They are needed to get your ID card from St. Jude, which, I guess is a good thing to have. Also, St. Jude will be glad to send you a demo of your valve if ask for one.

Thanks Luana! I got my ID card a while back but didn't know how to interpret it. Now I know I've got a 19mm one! I've been wondering what size I got because my primary care physician told me the other day that I got a pretty small one for such a big guy, but it depends on what fits in the opening. I'm sure 19mm is bigger than the opening when I had my stenosis (which I'm hoping to find out tomorrow - never got my records, but asked for them the other day and hope to get them tomorrow at my visit). Thanks for the info - very helpful!!!

Oh my God Bina, I can't believe you said that! Or, I mean thought it , and didn't say it ;)

19mm St. Jude Regent Valve - $4500
250 lb dude's AVR - $250,000
Dude saying "My doctor said I had a small one for such a big guy, but it depends on the opening" - PRICELESS

I can't believe that slipped past me!

Hey Andy.....my surgeon told me Friday that from the tests they had done on me that he will use a size 23 valve for me.....and even mentioned how in Europe they are doing the .." up thru the groin and into the heart valve replacement surgeries" as long as the first valve you had put in was at least a 21....BUT he said they are finding that the valves inserted that way...are only lasting about 5 years and are only used for older more frail patients who wouldn't survive traditional open heart surgeries. So like you my buddy...its a ST Judes Regent and 5 days to go before becoming bionic :) take care my friend....Mike

Well, goodness, I think I am speechless, too!
Andy, I don't know how to tell you this but mine is bigger than yours, and so is Bina's and we're girls.

Hey Andy.....my surgeon told me Friday that from the tests they had done on me that he will use a size 23 valve for me.....and even mentioned how in Europe they are doing the .." up thru the groin and into the heart valve replacement surgeries" as long as the first valve you had put in was at least a 21....BUT he said they are finding that the valves inserted that way...are only lasting about 5 years and are only used for older more frail patients who wouldn't survive traditional open heart surgeries. So like you my buddy...its a ST Judes Regent and 5 days to go before becoming bionic :) take care my friend....Mike

To the best of my knowledge the catheter placed valves are TISSUE and they can only be placed inside either your native (tissue) valve or a prosthetic tissue valve. It is my understanding that a Mechanical Valve must be removed by normal surgery before another valve can be implanted.

'AL C'

Bina & Luana, are you saying size matters??? Well, what happens in VR.Org stays in VR.Org... No need to go publicizing any of this to any prospective girls I might be dating later ;)

Mike - stay busy for next few days to keep your mind off things. A lot of us found we were at peace the last few days - figuring, not much I can do about it, so might as well just go with the flow. But I think it also helps to stay busy. And like I kept telling people before surgery - I'm coming back as the bionic man - stronger, faster, more stamina, etc... Of course now Bina & Luana have knocked me down a peg or two ;) And yes, Luana, I did take my valium, it just hasn't kicked in yet ;) Mike, let me know what INR range your doc recommends - just curious.

Andy...as we all know.....many a man of great girth has not a clue how to use it for optimum......um...er.....heart function.....we were talking heart valves right? lol ...and i had to laugh...i told my buddy after weds ill be bionic also....Ive been keeping busy....any day the financial markets are open my mind is preoccupied....and good friends of mine are returning from Florida on Saturday after the winter so ill be over there catching up.....it was kind of ironic..that when i told that particular friend ...who is 67......that i needed heart surgery....he replied that HE always thought he would be next. So you just never know....AND....LOL....I found a real nice Tee Shirt that has a diagram of the heart and the words..." I SURVIVED HEART SURGERY" ....It is currently on sale and i found a discount code on www.couponcabin.com that brought the price down further to $15....they come in mens and womens and are a nice little boast of what everyone here has been through......i had to order it LOL.....I will check on what INR range my doctor recommends and let you know for sure Andy...take care my friend.

Al...you are 100 percent correct....artery inserted valves are tissue and can only be implanted inside the existing ring of another tissue valve......the expected longevity of only 5 years is the disappointing aspect. If it was good for another 10-15 years it would make tissue valves a very attractive option for younger people...Mike

Haha, mines bigger then yours is and believe it or not, they've mentioned a possible mismatch from my echo report. I have a 25mm.

Ross, I've always heard it's not the size of the wand, but the magic in the wand that matters. Assume same is true for heart valves ;) Mike, I'm ordering that shirt right now! Thanks! Only question is what size to get (assuming size matters).

Back