Can Anyone Recommend an At-Home INR Testing Kit?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rush20

Bradenton/Lakewood Ranch, FL. (Heart Still In Chi
My cardiologist suggested that since I have now been on Warafin for 5 years, I might consider an at-home machine for weekly tests vs. my current once per month clinic blood draw.

I have to confirm whether my insurance will help and at what percentage. Now is the time of year I can plan for out-of-pocket expenses for 2010 that I can utilize tax free if necessary.

I was hoping someone could recommend a specific brand or model. Per my initial on-line research, I have seen models range from $1000 to $2500.

Thanks!

There are just a few pro-time monitors available at this time, and I think they are all quite acceptable. We have the INratio monitor and it has been good for us...(We both test weekly.) We used to have the ProTime Microcoagulation monitor, but let it go when we could not deal with the internal battary...which wore out.

THe monitors that are approved for consumer use seem to be quite fine. I would easily use any of them.

Kind regards,
Blanche

I love my Coaguchek XS, it is easy to work and very accurate! I had a little problem at first getting it in all together and timing right on my stick to the machine, but I have zero problems now! It has been a great piece of mind for me and really makes all of this easier! Good luck!

Is it true that each testing strip costs about $20? If so, it seems like the ol "Razor Blade bait and switch" whereas the cool razor is only $5.00 but the packs of razor blades are real expensive. :rolleyes:

Where the heck are you looking for testing supplies? At the very worst, strips, at least for the INRatio are $13 and I've seen them as low as $6 a piece.

Test Strip Cost

Test Strip Cost

The catch on InRatio test strip cost is that one can greatly reduce the price if strips can be purchased in bulk rather than in 12 packs. The savings is pretty dramatic if bulk purchase can be made. Purchasing in bulk saves me about 50%.

Many "approved" medical supplier companies won't sell test strips directly to home testers in bulk. It seems these companies are more focused on the profits they can make by selling 12 packs.

My cardiologist actually writes me a prescription for test strips in bulk and I work with suppliers who will accept prescriptions for strips in bulk.

I've seen posts from others who actually have bulk prescriptions sent to their doctors' offices. My cardiologist offered to do that for me to help me cut expenses associated with home testing.

Others have had greater success with getting their health insurance to cover the cost of test strips. My company refuses to cover test strips. The company has no problem paying $75.00 for a lab test at the local hospital, but won't pay for a $6.50 test strip...go figure?

-Philip

The 12 packs and 10 packs actually have to do with reimbursement. When the distributor gets reimbursed for results they have to include the past XX results. Many of the times it's 8-9 results. Once they get reimbursed they essentially get their profit. Until then every box of 12 strips sold is almost a loss. This is why they are packaged the way they are. The box of 48 test strips is intended for Dr.'s offices where they are submitting their own reimbursement info. Thus the profit gained from the distributors is only by the sale of more quantity.

Re: reimbursement

Re: reimbursement

How does this work for people who pay for their own strips?

We own our INR monitor and have purchased our own strips, out of pocket, since 2001. It seems to me that the vendor is "reimbursed" at time of sale.

I would venture to guess that there are more than several of us on this board who have purchased monitors outright. Actually, over the years we have purchased two monitors.

Kind regards and welcome to the board.

Blanche

The question would come up, do you get reimbursed from your insurance for the strips? If not, then the distributor just doesn't the get same sort of reimbursement with you as a customer. This is what I understand.

Another reason that there are two different packagings for the strips is the sheer test volume. A patient may have a prescription for once a week, once every two weeks, or even once a month testing. Thus the 12 pack of strips could last 3 months, 6 months, or a year. The strips generally have a 1 year expiration, so anything more than that might be actually wasteful for some patients.

Latest posts

Back