Blood pressure Grrrrr....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbutcher

Getting on for three months since my AVR now. Aches, pains, itches and twitches all seem to be improving. I'm walking every day for an hour or so with no problems or tiring.
But... My blood pressure is up ! Why ? Any ideas. I'd be grateful... Eating well, not over weight, no clogged arteries etc, but still since before my operation it's crept up from a steady 120/70 to I'd say an average of 150/85, often higher than that by day and always lower than that morning and evening ?
Could this be related to my heart settling or changing since my operation I wonder. It was having to work much harder when my AV was down to just 0.5cm2 I should think ?
Going to see the doctor for a chat later, I'd say he'll want me to take something for it.

be patient, it could be simply part of the healing process. Before my surgery I was pretty consistent 100/65 or so. Post surgery and for about 10 months my BP was 120/75 to 135/85. Here in the last two months I've been back down where I was pre-op. I go to the clinic in a week or so, I will try to remember to post this thread with those results.

hey my friend hows it going? my bp also went up after op,after a couple of months there but me on bp tablets,i was already on a small dose of beta blockers as well,it took them 5 month to finally get the dose right,but at last my bp has been 117/75 for the last 2 month,hope there get you sorted.

My BP has been "elevated" ever since my OHS. My Cardio says it's bordline high but he's had me on Atacand since my surgery. I never had BP problems before. Of course, I didn't have any history of heart problems either, until out of no where they told me I needed a mitral valve repair.

Thanks Scott, Neil, Bina and Wayne. It would seem quite normal to have higher bp after ohs then ?
Just got back from visit to Dr, a new one, turned I knew him from surfing, so after talking boards, breaks and weather for a while we got down to my bp. He took it at 144/85 and I showed him my chart of similar figures. He didn't seem worried at all and didn't want to put me on anything either, just said it's high of normal but maybe I should just let my body mend some more and keep an eye on it for a few weeks ?!
I'm delighted not to be on more than one drug a day still, but cant help but wonder !?
He also told me not to test my bp more than twice a day, else I'll be thinking about it too much.... Zen and the art of Blood pressure......

Doc is right about only testing BP twice ,or even once a day.
Our BP will fluctuate often throughout the day during different activities, and there is no need to get "neurotic" about it.
You are wise to keep a written record of your readings.
I eat a low salt diet and it really helps my BP stay low.

Who rattled your cage Dundee !?
neurotic...That's what I'm trying to avoid Bina, but cant help but keep looking ! That's the trouble with being off work, too much time to think about stuff... Still dont have nearly enough energy to start work though, lumbering wood about ....
Thanks Neil... I think you're right, his thoughts on the subject do seem to make sense ? You really do have to read between the lines though dont you ? I've never in my life had so much contact with doctors, they all have the same training yet they all have a different take too ! Makes things difficult and leaves us rightly or wrongly just listening to our bodies and deciding which one to listen to ?
Trying not to get neurotic though ! Sends the blood pressure up !

Back to BP from whatever-you-two-are talking about.

I am prone to high BP anyway, but found my BP rose after OHS. No doctors made a big deal about it, I am guessing a temporary rise is typical. I do take my BP meds, however.

Cheers,
Maryka

hey,

just my oppinion, but when you have a severe aortic stenosis your heart, more specifically, your left ventricle has to push against that stenosis, this causes more work, thus your ventricle gets stronger (hypertrophy) to keep your blood pressure normal, when you relieve that stenosis the same amount of ventricle is working to pump the blood around your body through a bigger valve, there's less stress going on, more blood is getting through, so your heart has less work to do to to keep your blood pressure at normal levels. . . it doesnt know this, its still doing the same amount of work against a bigger valve, so your blood pressure goes up (its like opening a dam), you probably feel your heart beating stronger too, right? just an educated guess, but as your heart realises it doesnt have to work as hard (starts remodeling) your BP will go down, and you will stop feeling a stronger heart beat consistantly

Hi Justin,

I was asked to avoid salt after surgery...now since I stopped Beta blocker 2 weeks ago, I am more careful not to eat any processed food as they are high in sodium and I use lemon juice and herbs when I cook instread of salt. I notice when we go out to eat, my BP goes higher and so my weight due to water retention. My doctor approved to take a small dose of dieuretic when I bloat from restaurants salt/msg.

Good luck:)

Thanks Mary, Trinity and Eva,
I'm kind of thinking and hoping it's like what you say Trinity, that would make sense to me. So I should maybe not worry too much. My heart dose pump pretty hard, when laying in the bath I can see the pulse in my arms quite clearly.
Interesting to see that other peoples bp went up post ohs.
Same school as Hogen hey Andy, that's a pretty good claim to fame !?

Another one here. No problems with bp before surgery. My son as been taking medication for high bp since he had his surgery in July. Hope things work out for you soon. Tc

Latest posts

Back