Back!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate_c

Hi, All.

Just a quick follow up on my pre-surgery post last week. I had AVR with a porcine valve a week ago exactly. While I've had a couple unexpected set-backs in my recovery (who doesn't, right?), overall I think things have gone very smoothly. I've been home for two days and every day I feel a little better. I was a bit humbled today at just how exhausted I feel after even simple tasks, and I'm completely dependent on the support of others. Since I fancied myself to be in pretty good shape, I have to admit that I wasn't fully prepared for just how exhausted I would feel. But on the flip side, I'm on the mend now, the old ticker's working great so far, and all things considered, things are going very well. Thanks for all the pre-op support!

Nate

Wonderful to hear you are home already! I remember the tiredness and inability to do even simple things for one self. Hope you keep on improving day by day. Walking was my best medicine. I had lung problems and that helped a lot.

Nate, glad to hear you are on this side of the mountain and already home. Hopefully you'll have smooth sailing from this point forward.

Kim

I am 5 weeks tomorrow on my second replacement valve. This time is going so much better and I credit that to being in "pretty good shape". I had ridden my bicycle only 750 miles this year. You will do great. I was at work a week ago.

Don't let the exhaustion get you down, just think about it as a hurdle you need to get over and you will!

Scott

It's great to hear you're already home. Don't worry about the fatigue, it will pass. In the meantime, take a lesson from our feline friends....cat nap, cat nap, cat nap :)
Best wishes,
Lisa

YEP, feeling Totally Wiped Out for the first week or two is pretty typical.
Your stamina will increase Very Gradually for several more weeks.
On Good Days, you may push your walking a bit until you body tells you to Rest. LISTEN to it!
Judge your progress on a Weekly Basis.
As long as you have more Good Days than Not-so-Good Days, you are heading in the right direction.

'AL Capshaw'

Nate,

Tuesday will be my 5 week AVR anniversary. The 2nd and 3rd week for me was the worst. I also went into surgery in pretty good shape but I felt like I wasn't making progress and found that very frustrating. Week 4 was a huge step in the right direction and I can't wait to have another month behind me.

I think we just have to be patient and let time work her magic!

Doug

Isn't it frustrating to have to WAIT to HEAL? I'm almost to week 3, can do lots around the house (except lifting, etc.) but tire easily, and still have some wonderful aches. 10 minutes on the treadmill results in a nap.
It will get better a little at a time. Just keep to the mantra: eat, sleep, walk, breathe.

Latest posts

Back