Back to life - sort of. . .

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epstns

Premium User
Supporting Member
Well today I check in at the anticoagulation clinic at my local cardio's hospital. As long as I'll be taking warfarin at least for a few months (post surgical afib, temporary I hope) I need someone to manage the process. Since it is a 3-hour round trip to the hospital where my surgery was done, I'll have my "local" cardio's group watch it.

Yesterday was my first official day at work. I'm presently "authorized" by my cardio for part-time office work, 2-3 hours/day, as tolerated. It sure feels good to get back to the usual routine, if even for short periods of time. Kind of makes me feel more connected and that I'm once again adding value to the world.

I've been walking for exercise. Have been doing 1 mile daily, on an indoor track since we are still having winter-like weather. Yesterday I did a whole mile and a half, in about 30 minutes. It felt good, but I won't push it until I have more direction from my cardio and from rehab, though. I may walk more, but won't try for faster until I'm at least evaluated for rehab, which is scheduled for May 18.

All in all, I'm disappointed to have had the complications I did, and especially disappointed to be so pacemaker-dependent, but it is what it is and it will be what it will be. Now I just want to get back to feeling that I have a life and that I can regain some control over it. I've been doing some fun things with my wife - shopping, out to eat occasionally, and maybe even a movie. Nothing wild, just "normal" things that make me feel more like the life I had before all this madness. I just hope the progression continues as it has for the past week or so, as things have begun to creep back toward normal at a more noticeable rate.

Hooray for life! It isn't over-rated at all, and I'm glad to be in it!

Happy to hear things are normalizing for you, Steve.
There is no minimizing the trauma we experience and while we all experience it differently, getting back to 'normal life' is everyone's goal and sounds like you are well on the way.

Continued good wishes for a rapid, smooth continuation to your recovery.

What a great thing to read this cold and yucky morning. I'm glad things are getting better and you are starting to get back to a more 'normal" life. Justin is always so glad when he doesn't feel like a 'patient" anymore. Even tho he'll always be a heart patients with 6 months check ups, when he gets to the part of recovery where he can to "normal" things like school, movies shopping and the last surgery work, that when things really seem to "take off" in the recovery.
I think it was a good idea to start back to work in the middle of the week, since you only have to work a couple days then have the weekend.
Looking forward to more great updates

Hey Steve.....so nice to be back to work....so happy for you. I can't wait to be where you are now...lol. I know I have a ways to go.....Hooray for life!!! I love that!!!! April 20th is my day to get this "thing of getting on the road to recovery".... I am looking forward to it being over....I feel very positive about it. As I have said, "positive attitude and positive people bring us positive energy". Thats why I love this forum!!! Everyone is soooo positive.....especially you!!! Hope you're having a wonderful evening! Thanks for sharing your great news.

Jeri

Welcome back to the road to normal! Glad that you are taking it sensibly.

I think it is a lucky lesson we all get when we experience normal as something precious.

Best wishes for continuing success. Continue to be patient. It's a hard thing to be, but honestly the body does have it's own time table and you just have to accept it.

I love that Greg repeated your closing comment! It does bear repeating and thank you for saying it out loud!!

Marguerite

Good the hear, Steve! I know my recovery has taken a turn for the better as well. If you had asked me just one week ago when I would be ready to go back to work, I probably would have said May or June! However, this past week has been very good, with less soreness in my chest, more stamina, and in general a better attitude towards everything. I am certainly not 'normal' yet, but I do feel 100% better than last week this time! Sounds like you are very similar, if not farther along, and that helps me to have something to look forward to. I so agree with your comments regarding it will be what it will be; it took me a while to understand that I can't control everything, regardless of how much I would like to!

Hi, congrats on going back to work :)
My fiance is heading back to work in a couple of weeks, neither of us are sure if he feels ready as it will be full time, but he really wants to feel like he can be 'normal' again, and get back to some sort of routine, we will see how it goes. It sounds like just doing a few hours each day is a perfect way to ease back in to it.
We know how you feel re the pacemaker, my partner had a Bentals procedure and ended up pacemaker dependant also, was a huge shock for both of us and has taken quite a toll emotionally but we are getting more and more used to it each week. He is hoping to get his own heart beat going again so he dosnt rely on the pacemaker, but we have no idea of the chance of this happening.. did they tell you if you can get your own beat back?
We are also going out and starting to do a few nice 'normal' things like doing some shopping and walks, still havnt ventured to the movies but its on the 'to do' list!
Anyhow all the best, its nice to always remember there are people all around the world going through this, thinking and feeling the same things :)

sunonwaves,
I really don't know if I will ever regain normal heart pacing - they didn't really try to explain much the first time my pacer was interrogated. I have another appointment in a few weeks, and I will try to get to see the electrophysiology doc to ask what to expect. I do know that sometimes after surgery there is enough swelling that the heart cannot pace itself, so pacing may be temporary. I also know, since I had my aortic valve replaced, that the main nerve bundle that paces the heart is very close to the aortic valve and may have been damaged during surgery. At the moment, I choose to have faith that having had the #2 surgeon in the country do my valve that there is still a chance that the problem is due to swelling. If McCarthy can't save the nerve bundle, who can?

So great to hear Steve. After surgery, it's very normal for processes to consume life as you knew it. Rest assured, this too shall change. Keep up the positive thoughts!

Take care my friend! Hope to see you sometime this spring:)

...and especially disappointed to be so pacemaker-dependent...

*sighs*

I know this feeling all too well. I'm STILL unhappy that I've become reliant on the pacemaker much more than originally anticipated. But, not much I can really do about it....

Very glad to read this post from you, Steve. Getting back to "normal" is good. Thoughts/prayers for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery. :) Hope to see you this year!

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * CruiseNites_2011_Chi.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"The stars might lie, but the numbers never do" __ Mary Chapin-Carpenter __ 'I Feel Lucky'

Latest posts

Back