Back from first post-op check-up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epstns

Premium User
Supporting Member
I just got back from my first post-op check-up. We decided to do one this soon as I've been having some breathing issues and have noted increased fluid retention in my legs and ankles.

They did X-Ray and Results not bad. . .

When I came home from the hospital, I had minor pleural effusion around my left lung. That has decreased. Not gone, but less of it.

NO pericardial effusion. This was the one I was worried about, so this is a big finding.

Conclusion is to increase my lasix dosage until my next check-up next Wednesday, and see how things progress.

I guess I'll go on sleeping in my recliner, but as long as there is no preicardial effusion, I'll not panic about it unless it worsens,

Out and about most of the day, and still feel OK. Not energetic, but not falling asleep either.

Onward we shall go. . .

Wow!

Wow!

Steve,

You really give me hope. Being in the waiting room has been life changing for me. Reading all your inspiring posts are such a help. I hope you feel better soon. Ill be renting a recliner when my time comes.

I'm glad you had a check up and tests, and things are looking better as far as the lpueral effusion and NO pericardial, at least you don't have to worry about it now. Did they do an echo too or just the Xray? Just being able to be out most of the day and not be wiped out is a big plus.

As you know, Steve, it is often the things we worry because we don't know what is happening that engender the greatest anxiety. Knowing that you don't have any pericardial effusion should make it easier to sleep and the fact that your lungs are clearing up is also good news. Hopefully, your recovery will now progress more rapidly as you feel better.

Larry

Steve

I am so relieved you have gone for your first check-up and with comforting results. Did they say why you felt like you were having breathing problems? Or explain the edema ? Keep your feet/legs elevated, that helps reduce edema too and make sure you eat/drink things low in sodium. How comfortable are those chairs ? Does it really help getting up, vs trying to use your arms to push out of a bed ?? How long do you think you will need it, before you return to your bed ? I am asking my MD to give an order for one, when my surgery is completed, so it will be waiting , when I arrive home.
Your energy will return, your body has just gone through a MAJOR surgery ( they say it takes a year to fully recover from major surgery) , it just needs some time to rest and get use to your new normal heart. You did Great , keep up the good work !!! Sending positive thoughts your way.....and a caring hug.....Go Team 2011 !!!!!
Renee

Thanks again, everyone, for the wishes. I am on the road to recovery, even if there are more potholes than I expected. . . this, too, shall pass.

Renee, My surgeon's assistat said that many of their patients have various reasons for breathing difficulties, most of which are not life-threatening (such as mine appears to be). She said that many patients have breathing or sleeping problems for the first month or so after surgery, and that many report only being able to sl eep comfortably in recliners for a month or more after surgery.

So far, the only explanation for the edema (other than the fact that it is common) is that my heart is not yet operating at its normal potential, so the fluid builds up until either my heart can resolve it or, temporarily, until meds do so. We are watching it on a daily basis, with my next check-up scheduled for next Wednesday to evaluate. Don't know what's next if the increased lasix isn't enough, but I'll wait and see

My recliners have been quite comfortable. Much easier to get in and out of, especially compared to a large, high bed. They are firm, and I use an assortment of pillows to augment the shape of the chairs. This is another place where my doc's assistant says that some patients need the recliner for the first month or two after surgery. Some of the reason is the growing efficiency of our hearts, so compromised during surgery, and part of the need is probably emotional - knowing that it just "feels better."

Thank goodness on percardial effusion! You don't need that! Your symptoms sounded so similar to mine. Was really concerned for you.

Keep doing what you are doing! Godspeed!

Hi Steve,

Congrats on the positive report. Now, just "Keep On Truckin'", or as Buzz would say.. "To Infinity and Beyond!"

Cheers,
Rob

Day by day, life is beginning to feel more like a participant sport than a spectator sport right now. I'm very thankful for that, as I was beginning to worry a bit that things were going too slowly.

Hi Steve,
Big sigh of relief for you (and a virtual *high five* to a fellow March 2011 graduate!). I've been reading all of your updates and am so glad to hear that you are on the upswing! Let's hope this keeps going!

Day by day, life is beginning to feel more like a participant sport than a spectator sport right now.

Steve,

Well put my friend...that is exactly how I have felt from the time I got home until now. I'm glad your post-op checkup turned out to be a good one with no major problems. It sounds like the bumps are starting to smooth out with time. We are getting close to the part of the recovery where we have to be careful not to overdo it as we start to feel even better. :)

Day by day, life is beginning to feel more like a participant sport than a spectator sport right now. I'm very thankful for that, as I was beginning to worry a bit that things were going too slowly.

EVERY DAY Itell others that I am getting stronger and that soon I will return to the workforce the pectoral/diaphram flap is getting less bothersome and i am here for the LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG HAUL

WELCOME to the calmness of the foothills on the way home :thumbup:

Thank God, Steve!!! I am so happy things are looking so positive. You are truly an inspiration to me. I see my surgeon tomorrow to set a date. I am not nervous....I just want it to be over and I want to be where you are. I hope he goes for the tissue valve idea for me. I will keep posting. Thanks to all of you. Prayers continue for you as always, Steve.

Jeri

Back