AVR selection

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thanks again to all the recent posts. I have considered that the percutaneous replacement could be a viable option for a second AVR if I select the tissue valve. That is where I am leaning but I will make final decision after I discuss it with cardio and surgeon. Has anyone here had their surgery at UPMC in Pittsburgh?? Just curious!! I do feel better hearing from the friends here with mechanical valves. You all sound so positive. That is really a God-send to hear if I have to go that route. I don't mind being on it temporarily but I have to play the cards I'm dealt when it all happens one way or the other. You are all so helpful. There is a lot of positive energy going on here. I am so thankful I was referred here.

Jeri

More Misconceptions

More Misconceptions

First, as far as I'm concerned there are no bad choices when picking a valve which is going to save your life. Second, this said, at least make sure you're making your choice based upon fact rather than misconceptions.

I eat what I want; when I want. I just finished eating two rather large bowls of spinach salad with a liberal sprinkling of dried cranberries. It's the first spinach salad I've had in two weeks. Will this sudden intake of spinach mess-up my INR? I doubt it. I really enjoy wine and that's a good thing because both my cardiologist and surgeon told me a glass or two every day is good for my health. I've never noticed a glass or two of wine impact my INR either.

I wouldn't hesitate to ride a motorcycle if my wife would let me buy a Harley and I've had a love of small aircraft since I was a kid. Time permitting, I'll start working on my sailplane license after the first of the year. I'm a bicycle junkie and ride as frequently as I can.

When I was preparing for AVR surgery I asked my cardiologist and surgeon a lot of questions about life with a replacement valve. I was concerned about potential restrictions which might be imposed by being on coumadin. Both doctors told me that this kind of surgery was simply about getting a problem fixed so I could get on with my life. The idea that coumadin was going to slow me down or prevent me from continuing interests and activities I had always enjoyed was laughable to both doctors.

Good luck with your choice.

-Philip

Jeri, regarding percutaneous I checked FDA Clinical Trials website and only found one study at: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01051310 Small sample size but due to complete in 2014. Not sure what the performance and safety of a percutaneous implant is versus a regular tissue or mechanical valve. I'd be careful banking on something that is out in the future (and unproven).

Probably the most important part of the choice is making a decision (as informed as reasonably possible) and being OK with it, in your own mind and "heart" applying your own values and priorities. I've seen a study comparing AVR patient longevity either way, as a function of age at the time of the op. As I recall the lines crossed right around your age, but it might be worth checking. Mind you, the stats are pretty good (and pretty close to the population at large) either way, and they don't change very sharply with a few year's age. And there are "expected" or "most likely" lifestyle costs and benefits on both sides, too.

To some extent you get to "choose your poison", but there are no gurarantees either way, and so there's always a risk that we'll get the downside of our choice, either way, but miss out on the benefit. E.g., you or I could go for mech to avoid the re-op but end up needing one anyway, or we could go for tissue to skip the Coumadin and end up needing that anyway. If possible, it would be good to make peace with your choice so you're psychologically OK even if one of those nasty outcomes happens to materialize, God Forbid.

I've posted a link to a new study on the Hancock II (pig) valve that shows remarkably good valve durability, though still less in the 19-60 year-old group than in the 60-70 group. Of course, you're not a typical 19-60 year-old, at 58, so your estimated numbers are pretty good. The CEP (cow) valve seems to also have almost as good durability and better hemodynamics, according to another study or two. And the prospects of non-surgical "valve-in-a-valve" AVR in the near-ish future may make the prospect of a re-do less daunting.

On the other side, the On-X mechanical valve is now being tested (in several countries) to see if it produces good results with much lower ACT or even (in some of the studies) with only an Aspirin a day. Self-monitoring has already improved ACT significantly, and it's possible that other developments will improve it further.

Lots of info, but no certainties, so I think it's important to make a choice and be OK with it. As many have said, both choices are much better than your valve that needs replacing. And both have happy super-active recipients, as well as some not-so-happy ones.

Good luck to all of us! (P.S. I'm going with "porky" in a few days, at 65 y.o..)

On the other side, the On-X mechanical valve is now being tested (in several countries) to see if it produces good results with much lower ACT or even (in some of the studies) with only an Aspirin a day. Self-monitoring has already improved ACT significantly, and it's possible that other developments will improve it further.

The On-X Clinical Trial you are referring to is found at: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00291525
This comes up every so often. It is NOT aspirin-only. It is for reduced anticoagulation or for a combination of Plavix and aspirin. I am not aware of any other ongoing studies in other countries for aspirin only (which would not be applicable in the U.S.). Plavix does not require the monitoring that Coumadin requires.

It is a tough decision, isn't it? Whatever you choose, embrace it. There is no wrong decision. Any new valve will be better than the one you have.

I've labored over the valve type decision for years and have decided the On-X mechanical is the best choice for me (I'm 46). I'm not worried about the daily coumadin, but I do feel the On-X valve is the best mechanical valve option on the market day for potentially being able to reduce coumadin dosage in the future. The On-X is also showing less issues with pannus growth (scar tissue that can impede the leaflets).

Thanks to this site, I am very comfortable with the idea of self-monitoring my coumadin dosage and playing an active role in my health in regards to long-term coumadin monitoring. I think coumadin complications often happend because the patient was mismanaged by doctors/nurses who didn't fully understand how to manage it or because of non-compliance of the patient.

GOod luck!

Jeri, regarding percutaneous I checked FDA Clinical Trials website and only found one study at: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01051310 Small sample size but due to complete in 2014. Not sure what the performance and safety of a percutaneous implant is versus a regular tissue or mechanical valve. I'd be careful banking on something that is out in the future (and unproven).

That study is for the Medtronic CoreValve trials they are doing in a few countries in Europe where they are replacing older tissue valves with percutaneous valves (They can NOT replace mechanical valves percutaneously and I can't imagine that happening any time soon)
That will be starting Corevalve trials for first time replacements in the US soon http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01240902?intr="Medtronic+CoreValve+System"&rank=1
Trials for Edwards "Sapien" Aortic valve have been going on for a few years (07) in the US, http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00530894?term=sapien&rank=1 for people to high risk for surgery, they released some of the results so far, if you search here for sapien, there are a few threads about it. Most of the major heart Centers in the US and Canada are taking part in the trials. They hope to be approved for High risk patients in 2011 but as you said until it is approved don't count on having a tissue valve that you get now replaced percutaneously until it IS approved. These are the 2 main percutaeous Aortic valves right now, but quite a few companies are trying to make their own (since it SEEMS like they will be pretty common, so will make lots of money for the valve companies.)

The Melody, pulmonary valve has already been FDA approved in the US.

As for "Aspirin only" mechanical valves, I don't know how to copy 2 post in 1 reply but as Dan said
"The On-X Clinical Trial you are referring to is found at: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00291525
This comes up every so often. It is NOT aspirin-only. It is for reduced anticoagulation or for a combination of Plavix and aspirin. I am not aware of any other ongoing studies in other countries for aspirin only (which would not be applicable in the U.S.). Plavix does not require the monitoring that Coumadin requires."

The ONLY "aspirin only" ON-X trial I ever heard of was the one that they were doing but stopped in Germany a few years ago. ON-X says they stopped that trial after a couple years so they could focus on the US trials, or something like that, that one of the legs I believe is aspirin and plavix.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone...

Once again I appreciate all the updates. The On-X valve sounds like a good option as far as mechanical valves go. It's good to know that Coumadin therapy can be monitored at home. I would very interested in obtaining information on that when the time comes. I hope my Doctor would be willing to allow me to do that. At least it wouldn't prevent me from traveling at a moments notice as we do sometimes. These business trips aren't always planned. I just want the freedom to enjoy my new valve. I look forward to working out without getting SOB so quickly. SO I will
continue to read and learn as much as I can so I can make the right decision for me. Thanks everyone.

Jeri

The On-X Clinical Trial you are referring to is found at: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00291525
This comes up every so often. It is NOT aspirin-only. It is for reduced anticoagulation or for a combination of Plavix and aspirin. I am not aware of any other ongoing studies in other countries for aspirin only (which would not be applicable in the U.S.). Plavix does not require the monitoring that Coumadin requires.

Also IF you choose an ON-X valve in hopes of someday being able to switch to Plavix and Aspirin, the FDA put out a Box Warning on Plavix last year that 2-14% of the population can't metabolize Plavix, so should use another drug. There is a test, to see if you can metabolize Plavix, maybe it would be a good idea to ask if you can have the test done while you are still making your valve decision. I don't know how much it cost ect, but thought it might be better to know before surgery, instead of finding out if Plavix and Aspirin are approved for On-X for people that can use Plavix down the road.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm204253.htm
FDA Announces New Boxed Warning on Plavix
Alerts patients, health care professionals to potential for reduced effectiveness

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today added a boxed warning to the anti-blood clotting drug Plavix (clopidogrel), alerting patients and health care professionals that the drug can be less effective in people who cannot metabolize the drug to convert it to its active form.

Plavix reduces the risk of heart attack, unstable angina, stroke, and cardiovascular death in patients with cardiovascular disease by making platelets less likely to form blood clots. Plavix does not have its anti-platelet effects until it is metabolized into its active form by the liver enzyme, CYP2C19.

People who have reduced functioning of their CYP2C19 liver enzyme cannot effectively convert Plavix to its active form. As a result, Plavix may be less effective in altering platelet activity in those people. These “poor metabolizers” may not receive the full benefit of Plavix treatment and may remain at risk for heart attack, stroke, and cardiovascular death.

“We want to highlight this warning to make sure health care professionals use the best information possible to treat their patients,” said Mary Ross Southworth, Pharm.D., a clinical analyst in the Division of Cardiovascular and Renal Products in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

In May 2009, the FDA added this warning to the drug’s label. After reviewing more data, the agency felt it was important to highlight this risk in a boxed warning.

It is estimated that 2 percent to 14 percent of the U.S. population are poor metabolizers. The FDA recommends that health care professionals consider alternative dosing of Plavix for these patients, or consider using other anti-platelet medications. Tests are available to assess CYP2C19 genotype to determine if a patient is a poor metabolizer.

Patients should not stop taking Plavix unless told to do so by their health care professional. They should talk with their health care professional if they have any concerns about Plavix

Does anybody know whether the Plavix focus on the On-X is a reflection of the On-X's state-of-the-art lowest propensity to form clots, as opposed to a state-of-the-art eagerness on its manufacturer's part to push the envelope and study the acceptability of lower ACT approaches?

Put another way, is there independent evidence that the On-X is better than the competition in the factors that require ACT?

It seems like spiffy technology, and I've been "connecting the dots" to conclude that it was the best mechanical valve, but it's recently occurred to me that I'd never actually seen a study that established that -- just design-and-materials "reasons to believe" (from the manufacturer), and the PRESENCE of these tests. . .

Argualbly, the On-X should be the least likely to throw a clot. However, I don't know if they've proven that yet. On thing that can be said is that they have the only system for avoiding pannus (scar tissue) growth interference with mechanical valve functioning. As that is one of the two most common issues requiring explantation (of an otherwise perfectly good valve), it seems a major step forward to me. It would be my choice if I were in the market for a mechanical valve.

Let's add some more confusion to the mix. There are two new anticoagulants on the market, and I believe another one trying to come in fairly soon. (As well as one that didn't make it.) One has some gastric issues for some people, but the other looks to be well-tolerated so far.

So there may very well be acceptance of other anticoagulants for valves in five to ten years (there is a lot of time involved in trials before we find out). So Plavix would not be the only drug to look at. These other drugs do not require constant monitoring like warfarin, or variable dosing, and are diet-independant. One of the biggest issues will be whether they will be covered by insurance, as they will cost more than Coumadin.

I am not aware of any of these drugs being in valve trials yet, but they have been trialed for AFib. While you can never count on anything until it has truly come to pass, if you're looking at maybes, these should be considered as well.

Best wishes,

Does anybody know whether the Plavix focus on the On-X is a reflection of the On-X's state-of-the-art lowest propensity to form clots, as opposed to a state-of-the-art eagerness on its manufacturer's part to push the envelope and study the acceptability of lower ACT approaches?

Put another way, is there independent evidence that the On-X is better than the competition in the factors that require ACT?

It seems like spiffy technology, and I've been "connecting the dots" to conclude that it was the best mechanical valve, but it's recently occurred to me that I'd never actually seen a study that established that -- just design-and-materials "reasons to believe" (from the manufacturer), and the PRESENCE of these tests. . .

I THINK it may be a little of both. It is a very good valve, and is built on learning from the experience of earlier valves, but the oldest ones are just reaching 15 years in people so it will be interesting to read long term studies when they can do them. They also seem to be very good at marketing.
From what I know alot of the reason they were able to do the trials with lower anticoagulation was because of the results from a 2006 study in South Africa that showed good results in poorly anticoagulated population.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16480016
BACKGROUND AND AIM OF THE STUDY: The study aim was to evaluate the clinical performance of the On-X heart valve in a socioeconomically disadvantaged population. Most patients were from an indigenous, poorly educated and geographically dispersed segment of the population where anticoagulation therapy was generally erratic.

METHODS: Between 1999 and 2004, a total of 530 valves (242 mitral valves, 104 aortic valves, 92 double valves) was implanted in 438 patients (average age 33 years; range: 3-78 years). The most common reason for surgery was rheumatic valve disease (57%), followed by degenerative valve disease (11%) and infective endocarditis (9%). Follow up was 95% complete for a total of 746 patient-years (pt-yr). Among the patient population, 40% were either not anticoagulated or were unsatisfactorily anticoagulated.

RESULTS: Hospital mortality was 2.3%, and none of the hospital deaths was valve-related. Mean (+/- SE) actuarial survival (including hospital deaths) at four years was: AVR 73.8 +/- 8.1%, MVR 83.4 +/- 5.7% and DVR 60.9 +/- 10.3%. Linearized rates (for AVR, MVR and DVR, respectively) for late complications (%/ pt-yr) were: bleeding events 0.6, 1.0, and 2.3; thrombosis 0.0, 0.2, and 0.0; endocarditis 0.6, 1.0, and 2.3; paravalvular leak 0.6, 0.2, and 0.0; systemic embolism 1.1, 1.5, and 3.5. Most systemic emboli were related to infective endocarditis. Among patients there were seven uncomplicated, full-term pregnancies"

The abstract says Among the patient population, 40% were either not anticoagulated or were unsatisfactorily anticoagulated.
I don't know if that means all the time or when they checked their INR ect.

BUT 2 years earlier there was a study by 2 of the same Authors in the same Hospital, that compared the performance of 3 different mechanical valves (Carbomedics, Medtronic Hall and On-X) in the poorly anticoagulated population that didn't show much difference in the Aortic valves.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15383051

"METHODS: In the Carbomedics group 140 valves were implanted in 126 patients (aortic 30, mitral 82, and aortic and mitral 14), 39% were adequately anticoagulated. Follow-up was 89% complete for a total of 216 patient-years. In the Medtronic Hall series 224 valves were implanted in 198 patients (aortic 50, mitral 122, and aortic and mitral 26), 39% were adequately anticoagulated. Follow-up was 93% complete for a total of 459 patient-years. In the On-X series 252 valves were implanted in 200 patients (aortic 44, mitral 104, and aortic and mitral 52), 58% were adequately anticoagulated. Follow-up was 94% complete for a total of 2217 patient-years.

RESULTS: Hospital mortality was 2.4% (3 patients) in the Carbomedics group, 3.9% (9 patients) in the Medtronic Hall group, and 2.0% in the On-X group. None of the hospital deaths were valve-related. The linearized rates for late complications in the mitral position (percent per patient-year) were, respectively, for the Carbomedics (CM), the Medtronic Hall (MH), and On-X valves-thromboembolism: 1.4 (CM), 1.1 (M.H.); 0.0 (On-X); bleeding: 0.0 (CM), 0.4 (MH); 0.0 (On-X); thrombosis: 6.5 (CM), 2.0 (MH); 0.0 (On-X). In the aortic position, the linearized rates of late complications were, respectively-thromboembolism: 0.0 (CM), 1.6 (MH); 2.2 (On-X); bleeding: 1.3 (CM), 1.0 (MH); 0.0 (On-X); thrombosis: 1.3 (CM), 0.0 (MH); 0.0 (On-X).

CONCLUSIONS: There were no significant differences in the performance of the three valves in the aortic position. In the mitral position the linearized rate of valve thrombosis was significantly higher in the Carbomedics group (p = 0.002)."

These are both the Abstracts, so you can't see the details and graphs, I noticed the On-x patients were adequately anticoagulated 58% compared to both the Medtronic and Carbomedic that were only adequately anticoagulated 39% of the time and I don't know if/how they took that into consideration.
Also It would be interesting to know how the St.Jude valves, especially the Regent would do.

I did read a midterm 5 year study on On-X the other day http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20546795

RESULTS: Early mortality was 2.5% (n = 10) for aortic valve replacement and 3.2% (n = 9) for mitral valve replacement. Late mortality for aortic valve replacement was 4.8% per patient-year and 6.0% per patient-year for mitral valve replacement. Five-year freedom from major thromboembolism was 96.5% ± 1.2% for aortic valve replacement and 97.7% ± 0.9% for mitral valve replacement. Five-year freedom from hemorrhage was 93.6% ± 1.8% for aortic valve replacement and 95.7% ± 1.5% for mitral valve replacement. Concomitant coronary artery bypass grafting was predictive of major thromboembolism after aortic valve replacement (hazard ratio, 5.3; P = .02) and antithrombotic hemorrhage after mitral valve replacement (hazard ratio, 4.7; P = .03). No other independent predictors of major thromboembolism or hemorrhage were identified. One thrombosed mitral prosthesis was observed after deliberate discontinuation of anticoagulation. The major thromboembolic events occurred with variation of international normalized ratio levels inclusive of subtherapeutic levels. The majority of hemorrhagic events occurred with high international normalized ratio levels.

CONCLUSIONS: The On-X mechanical prosthesis provides favorable intermediate-term results with regard to major thromboembolism and hemorrhage"

I don't know how they compare to other valves at 5 years.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting all of this Lyn. It is alot to read and absorb. It sounds like a really good option to consider. It's such a huge decision.

Jeri

This is a difficult choice. I choose a tissue valve because of lifestyle issues and some experience with coumandin when I had some afib issues.

A year ago, I was in a bad bicycle accident. The surgery to repair it was pretty messy and I was in a wheelchair for 8 weeks. I'm ok now, but it was a rough recovery.

I'm back on my road bike and intend to ride it as long as I can. The odds of me having another accident are high enough that I am afraid of coumadin. I don't want a closed head injury, even with a helmet, or a bad bleeding episode.

The only thing you can do is get educated and make the best decision you can. I'm sure hoping I get more than 7 years out of my valve; I thought they were having pretty good results out to about 18 years, but maybe things have changed.

Good luck!

I agree. I met with my cardio last week and she felt I would be better off with a tissue valve. She indicated that I was far too active to have a mechanical valve on Coumadin. I was very relieved that she felt this way and she felt certain that the surgeon agrees. I met with him in February. Surgery should be in March. She also said that by the time I should be needing a replacement, a less invasive procedure would probably be approved of in USA by then. It is all if this and if that, but that is OK. I am willing to take the risk. I like to ride also. We always wear helmets but a helmet can only do so much. I dont mind ACT for a short term but long tern is not for me. Thanks for your input. Good luck to you too.

Jeri

I agree. I met with my cardio last week and she felt I would be better off with a tissue valve. She indicated that I was far too active to have a mechanical valve on Coumadin. I was very relieved that she felt this way and she felt certain that the surgeon agrees. I met with him in February. Surgery should be in March. She also said that by the time I should be needing a replacement, a less invasive procedure would probably be approved of in USA by then. It is all if this and if that, but that is OK. I am willing to take the risk. I like to ride also. We always wear helmets but a helmet can only do so much. I dont mind ACT for a short term but long tern is not for me. Thanks for your input. Good luck to you too.

Jeri

It sounds like you made your decision and are at peace with your choice. It's always such a relief when I feel in my gut that something is the "right" choice and don't keep 2nd guessing myself. March sounds like a good time to recover from surgery, hopefully the weather will be nicer so you can get all your walking in when you get home.

Just gonna say that I have a mechanical valve and am on the On-X study taking Plavix and Aspirin daily with no ill effects to report. As for the Aspirin only study....I heard they canceled that.....Germany......may or may not be true.....don't know.......

Jeri,

Making a valve selection is one of the hardest things i have had to do. After much back and forth I decided to get a Ross Procedure with a bovine tissue valve as a backup if the surgeon didn't feel the RP was right for me once he got in there (I was 43 at the time). Well that was supposed to last me 20+ years and possibly indefinitely but my aortic root has dilated extensively and my aortic valve is leaking moderately. I will be up for another surgery the minute I can get financial assistance (have been on no work restriction for over a year and now have no insurance). The surgeon said there is a chance my aortic valve will not have to be replaced but he gave it about 50/50 odds at best.

So I am looking at my 2nd surgery and I am still having a hard time deciding whether to go tissue or mechanical if they need to replace the valve. I had A-Flutter this spring/summer and was on Coumadin for 3 months and I found it a non-issue so that part of the equation doesn't bother me (i had successful catheter ablation and have had no issues with A-Flutter since). My pros for a mechanical would be hopefully no 3rd surgery (I am 50 and if I live long enough a tissue valve would need to be replaced). At this point I have no other medical problems that would contradict taking Coumadin. The 2 negatives that make me hesitant about going mechanical would be if the valve was loud (with my personality traits that would drive me crazy) or if the mechanical valve needed to be replaced it would automatically mean OHS again. The drawbacks of the tissue valve in addition to possibly wearing out before I do is that there is no guarantee that percutaneous valve replacement will be done on a routine basis by the time I need the tissue valve replaced and with a history of A-Flutter there is a reasonable chance that either A-Flutter or A-Fib might return and I would end up on Coumadin anyway. When I went into the hospital the first time for A-Flutter they were going to do a carioversion but they found a blood clot in the left atrium in my heart, so if you have A-Fib/Flutter you will be on Coumadin. I am lucky it didn't dislodge before they discovered it or I might not be here typing this post.

In other words there are pros and cons to both types of valves, and even though I have been through this process once already it hasn't made it any easier.

--------------------

Aortic root measured 5.4cm at top end of root on 11/9/10
Surgical Consult 11/19/10 pretty obvious he said I need surgery
Still waiting on a decision from SS disability so I can get financial help
Newest symptom periodic chest pain

Latest posts

Back