Artistic find in Colorado

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis S

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have often made the trip between Jemez Springs and Colorado Springs. One of the ways you can make that trip takes you through the tiny town of San Luis. San Luis is no tourist town. There are a few hardworking people who scratch out a living in this beautiful place. There is a small coffee shop run by a very pious catholic woman. This is where I first discovered LavAssa coffee. Since being wowed by my first cup in San Luis, I have discovered it is produced in Italy by Luigi Lavazza and distributed out of New York. It is available on the internet, and that alone would be sufficient to put San Luis on my map. In addition to the coffee, just south of San Luis a careful observer can often spot one of the few remaining herds of truly wild mustangs. (One day I had the good fortune to get close enough to the herd to get a few quick pictures, which I believe I have previously posted). Immediately across from the coffee shop is a path to an incredible series of statutes and buildings depicting the "stations of the cross". I have taken the hike several times in the past, but regretfully I did not yet have my interest in photography at that time. I am hoping to get back sufficient strength to make the trip again someday with my camera gear.

This will get you to a you tube video that gives a taste of what has been created. The photography is nothing to brag about, but I found the music moving.

http://youtu.be/gm0VRSb0K5U

But what motivates this post was my discovery of long forgotten art on the north wall of the coffee shop. I have never read anything about this, and the woman who owns the coffee shop where this is found has apparently never felt it was worth pointing out. I wish I had a better picture, but I was surprised by the find, and only had my iPhone with me. I know this is an old work, but I have no idea exactly how old it is. I found it to be very effective in taking my thoughts and imagination back to the ancient times of the Spanish Conquistadors. I hope you enjoy it, and it certainly deserves a wider audience. By the way, this is only a portion of the work, but is the best I could do at that time.

Art in San Luis Colorado.jpg

Thanks Dennis. I always enjoy and usually learn from your posts. I hope you are able to make the hike again, partly for selfish reason's to I would love to see your pictures of the stations, but mainly so you get your strength back to enjoy things you cant do right now.

Is it in stone, Dennis? It is intriguing.
I'm interested in the LavAssa. We have coffee shipped to us once a month, but I've never heard of it. I will do a search and see what I can find out.
Thanks!

I had a recent chance to get back to the tiny town of San Luis, and get answers to some of my questions. First, the art itself is about 20 years old, much more recent than I had expected. Second, the art itself is made from adobe, as is the building. Finally, the artist---it turns out that the building was once owned by the artist who created all of the statues which comprise the incredible "stations of the cross", and he added this artistic flourish to his own building.

Latest posts

Back