Are you ready for the digital TV transition?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you ready for the digital TV transition?

• I need a digital converter box

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I'm hooked up to an antenna system

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I'm hooked up to cable or satellite

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • I'm planning on buying a new HDTV

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Don't need anything, I already have a digital HDTV and tuner

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I have a DTV Converter Box

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

Ross

Just wondering how many of us are ready for the transition from analog to digital signals on February 17th.

Please check off all that apply to you.

I'm working with a tv that has only half a tuner. I'm missing the other half. I'd like to get an HDTV, but the prices are going to have to drop significantly before I'd consider it. I'm just hoping my current set doesn't lose the first half or I'm in trouble.

Us Canucks are waiting to see how it goes in the good ol' USofA before we do anything - I think our date is scheduled for August, not sure if it is this year or next . . . We've got cable, so we're OK.

I went and got to converters about 8 months ago. If they keep raising the price of cable, I'll go back to the old antenna and the heck with it. When your cable bill exceeds your electric and heating bills, then something is wrong with the picture.

How about a box for "I have a DTV Converter Box" (and am getting a VERY GOOD Picture on my OLD analog TV Set - i.e. NO MORE multi-path ghosting!)?

I'm on AT&T UVerse, so I'm okay, I think. We had to replace our 17 year old TV last summer and did so with an HDTV, so the game room is fine. The TV in our bedroom is not digital, but is hooked up to UVerse, so I think it's okay. We are considering replacing it with an HDTV model because it is small (13") and our eyes are getting older. We have a converter box for the television in my son's room that is not hooked up to UVerse, even though he uses it mostly for his game. My daughter's TV isn't connected, but she uses it primarily for DVDs and she'll be going off to college in August, so we're not worrying about it.

Am I the only loser who is still hooked up to antenna only?? LOL
No, actually we are very happy with it.
Since we pick up the signals for East Ontario, West Quebec, and Vermont, we have lots of channels to choose from.
We also watch some french channels and PBS.
I don't see any point in throwing any money in Bell's direction for their crappy satellite service.
Those ugly dishes don't even work when they are covered in snow or ice.
Anyway, our ancient Zenith tube TV was starting to have some issues, so this changeover to digital TV
was a great reason for hubby to get the new TV that he SO deserved.

Leave it the Government to set a cut off date that falls right smack dab in the middle of winter. Most people will procrastinate and you'll find them out on a cold, icy and snowy roof messing with their antenna...

Leave it the Government to set a cut off date that falls right smack dab in the middle of winter. Most people will procrastinate and you'll find them out on a cold, icy and snowy roof messing with their antenna...

Can you say "Increased emergency room traffic". :eek::D

How about a box for "I have a DTV Converter Box" (and am getting a VERY GOOD Picture on my OLD analog TV Set - i.e. NO MORE multi-path ghosting!)?

There ya go buddy, have it or tell me what to add where and take away from where.

If your hooked up to cable or satellite systems, your good to go. It's just the folks with old Analog sets and/or Antenna's that have to worry

Please don't waste any time or endanger yourself on your roof. No need!
The only necessary change is to:
1) buy a converter box; plug your antenna coax into the back of it and then connect the box to the TV input.
OR
2) buy a new HD TV

There was an article in the paper here about it yesterday. Apparently if you are on antenna and currently have fuzzy reception on a particular channel, you may only get a blank screen with the converter box. Unlike analog, digital is either a clear signal or no signal. They said that you may need to turn your antenna to point toward where the signals are being broadcast. In Houston, that would be Southwest.

Bina, we were on antenna for quite a while, but when my kids were young, there was absolutely nothing for them to watch in the afternoon and evenings. They were outdoor creatures and normally only watched a little each day, but on rainy days, which we have lots of, they were stuck inside for hours. For a while, videos and games were fine, but I finally splurged on satellite. When I had my surgery, I was glad of it. There is nothing on network stations at 3 in the morning! Even with satellite it was difficult to find something to watch - shopping, shopping, shopping, nekkid people, nekkid people, shopping, boring documentary on rashes, nekkid people, shopping, really old western......

I bought a new HDTV in anticipation of this happening, and I'm glad that I did.

There was an article in the paper here about it yesterday. Apparently if you are on antenna and currently have fuzzy reception on a particular channel, you may only get a blank screen with the converter box. Unlike analog, digital is either a clear signal or no signal. They said that you may need to turn your antenna to point toward where the signals are being broadcast. In Houston, that would be Southwest.

Bina, we were on antenna for quite a while, but when my kids were young, there was absolutely nothing for them to watch in the afternoon and evenings. They were outdoor creatures and normally only watched a little each day, but on rainy days, which we have lots of, they were stuck inside for hours. For a while, videos and games were fine, but I finally splurged on satellite. When I had my surgery, I was glad of it. There is nothing on network stations at 3 in the morning! Even with satellite it was difficult to find something to watch - shopping, shopping, shopping, nekkid people, nekkid people, shopping, boring documentary on rashes, nekkid people, shopping, really old western......

I guess I am somewhat fortunate in my particular location that I pick us so much on regular antenna......and YUP,
nightime is for shopping, nekkid ppl, and weird re-runs.
No wonder hubby has trouble sleeping:rolleyes: I sleep just fine.:D

I think it's pretty awful that the govt did this. what is the reason? I just don't understand how/why this is being done at all. we were all pretty happy with what we have had all these years and suddenly it's all going to change! How come nobody is yelling about it? It will affect everybody in some way.

We are ok because we had a direct lightning strike in the summer and it got lots of stuff in our house, including the TV. We had to get a new one and it's already bringing in the HD. Plus we are on satellite for all but one local station.

I still think, tho, that this was just shoved on us without considering the inconvenience to American households.

Latest posts

Back