Aortic valve pickin tommorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsidster

Off to London Ontario tommorrow morning at 7:30 am to meet the doctor who will be performing my AVR and double bypass.After much reading and soul searching i am going to request the ON-x valve if she has expirence with this valve.Of course I will listen to her recomendations and make my choice from that and what I have learned from this fabulous site.Hoping to get this done sometime in November so that I am healed up enough to drive my m/home to Florida mid February.Wish me luck,and thanks for all the info.:thumbup:

Choices?

Choices?

The only bad decision one can make when it comes to valve choice is deciding not to get a valve replaced when replacement time rolls around.

-Philip

Met with the heart doctor today (Dr.Mary Lee Myers) Oct28. She explained that my heart was functioning on the right side normally and at about 70 percent on the left side.She plans on correcting this by replacing my aortic valve with a mechanical valve.I requested the ON-X but she has only done a few of these and is more comfortable putting in the St Jude valve.Her opinion is that they both function the same and should last a lifetime.She will also be doing a double bypass.One bypass will be accomplished by seperating an artery that is attached to the aorta and runs along the chest wall and rerouting it to the left coranary artery past the blockage.She uses this vein because she only has to attach one end ,the other is already attached to the aorta.The second bypass will require removing a vein from my left leg and grafting it to the center coranary artery.They are trying to set me up a cat scan in Windsor but if it cant happen fast they will do it in London.Looks like maybe pre op visit next week in London and then surgery a week or 2 after that.

Sounds like things are moving along well and you're happy with your surgeon. That's very important. Hope they are able to schedual the Cat Scan at which ever place is easier for you.

All sounds well on track...All the best with the surgery!

For what it's worth, I also needed one coronary artery bypass and the surgeon also said he would try to use the left internal mammary artery (LIMA), with its perceived advantages, and saving me the cut in the leg. Alas, once in there he found that this internal artery was too short to reach across the blockage so he had to do the vein graft thing from the right leg. Granted my blocked coronary artery to be bypassed was the circumflex which is further away from the LIMA than the left coronary artery, as in your case.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back