Anyone had the Shingles?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several days ago notice I was itching in a small spot above and around eyebrow/eye lid. Couple days later notice it had swelled, was red and sore.

Yesterday went in to see the doc, said it was probably Shingles. Well, I was vaccinated for Shingles last year. He said that was good, that I would probably have only a mild case. But was concerned it was so close to my eye. Asked if I had an eye doc. He started me on 20 Acyclovir capsules a day for 5 days and Cephalexin for 10 days.
With all the other pills I normally take, I'm now taking 31 a day. :eek:

Went to my eye doc this morning, it's yet not in my eye but says let him know if my vision changes. He was surprised I had shingles after having the vaccination but agreed it was shingles.

Best wishes with this. I've had several friends who came down with the shingles over the years and evidently getting the necessary medication early on is very important for optimal results.

Ohh, so sorry to hear that Dayton! My sister, & my mom both had shingles & they were in terrible pain. Both of them had it on their back & chest area.

Eventually they got over it although it lingered with my sister for almost 8 months! :eek:

I've never heard of shingles around the eye or face area but I guess it could happen.

Best of luck to you & I hope the medication works for you.

My late Mom had it on her face and it spread onto her neck....stayed a very long time
because she had a suppressed immune system from a kidney transplant.
Most people get over it quite well.

Hi Dayton,

My husband had the shingles years ago. I believe it was on his torso. It was pretty extensive, but did not spread to any other area. He did not get vaccinated. I don't believe they had one 24yrs ago. He went to the Dr. I can not remeber his recomendation. It went away in a matter of weeks. I do remember that the Dr. said stress can help bring it on.

Good luck and try to have a good weekend!

My mother-in-law has shingles too and was told to put Calamine(sp) lotion on (plus she was put on some kind of meds)
Google it - and keep and eye on eyes and keep things clean and dry

Dayton,
I had it near one of my ears last year and was prescribed the newer drugs which I think are the ones you listed. Those medications seemed to knock it out fairly quickly, but the main thing is to treat it early and take the full course of the Rx.
Best of luck,
John

Several days ago notice I was itching in a small spot above and around eyebrow/eye lid. Couple days later notice it had swelled, was red and sore.

Yesterday went in to see the doc, said it was probably Shingles. Well, I was vaccinated for Shingles last year. He said that was good, that I would probably have only a mild case. But was concerned it was so close to my eye. Asked if I had an eye doc. He started me on 20 Acyclovir capsules a day for 5 days and Cephalexin for 10 days.
With all the other pills I normally take, I'm now taking 31 a day. :eek:

Went to my eye doc this morning, it's yet not in my eye but says let him know if my vision changes. He was surprised I had shingles after having the vaccination but agreed it was shingles.

I had the vaccination three years ago after annual outbreaks of the shingles.
In my case, sun exposure and stress are the triggers for the attacks. Anyway, I was told it was possible to still have an outbreak, even if I was vaccinated, because I was 53 when I had it and they recommend it only after the age of 65.
The medicine should take care of it, but the doctor's right, it can cause major problems if it spreads to your eyes.

I had the vaccination three years ago after annual outbreaks of the shingles.
In my case, sun exposure and stress are the triggers for the attacks. Anyway, I was told it was possible to still have an outbreak, even if I was vaccinated, because I was 53 when I had it and they recommend it only after the age of 65.
The medicine should take care of it, but the doctor's right, it can cause major problems if it spreads to your eyes.

Pardon me for butting in, but Mary you mean to say you can have more than one out-break of shingles?

Joe had a very bad case of them in about the same area you have them in right around his eye. He hadn't had the shot, I don't think it was available at that time. Fortunately, it never got into his eye.

He did have lingering pain ever after. It just never went away.

So I am hoping that the shot will give you some protection and you won't get too bad a case of them.

Pain and recurrence? I have two friends who still have significant pain from the shingles (one still has the pain in her eyebrow, forehead, and top of scalp) and I have a sister-in-law who gets the shingles recurrently. I'd never heard of that before.

Thanks everyone for your interesting input.

I'm already much better, the slight pain I had is almost gone. The first spot has formed a scab and the swelling is much less. My eye brow was sore yesterday but it's not today. The doc said it would take couple days before the Acyclovir to start working and he seems to been right.

Yes, I fully believe being vaccinated has kept my case mild. We decided on getting the shots last year after a person we knew had a severe case of the shingles. I was vaccinated at VA but wife couldn't find any vaccine here or at Little Rock. There was a vaccine shortage for couple months.
At VA, they wanted me in the room and ready before they removed the vaccine from the freezer. Then immediately gave me the shot. I had to hang around for about 15 minutes to see if there might be a bad reaction. Wife got her shot at Kroger's Pharmacist, it was handle the same.

Strange, my parents lived to be 76 and 95, neither had the shingles. Both of wife's folks had them and suffered.

I know a lady that had the shingles at age 17.

I've lived with shingles periodically for several decades. It occurs mostly on the right side of my scalp but can also be on my right side. Like some of the other comments, it usually appears a couple of days after some type of stress either physical or emotional. I have actually been surprised that it did not occur after the AVR. Perhaps the improved bloodflow helped prevent it. The only thing you might keep in mind is that during an outbreak of shingles, one can give chicken pox to unvaccinated people. I do appreciate your note because I didn't know there was any treatment for shingles. I'll ask my Doctor when I show up for my physical next month. Thanks for the info.

Mentu, I'm surprised that you haven't seeked medial treatment before now.

Last year after I saw what shingles did to a person and how much pain they were in I knew did not want shingles. I was vaccinated in a couple weeks. They first tested me to see if I had chicken pox as a child, I couldn't remember if I had. If a person hasn't had chicken pox the shingles vaccine will give the it to them.

From the Mayo Clinic site.
An episode of shingles usually heals on its own within a few weeks, but prompt treatment can ease pain, speed healing and reduce your risk of complications.

Antiviral drugs
For best results, start these medications within 72 hours of the first sign of the shingles rash. Oral antiviral medications include:

* Acyclovir (Zovirax)
* Valacyclovir (Valtrex)
* Famciclovir (Famvir)

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. Anyone who's had chickenpox may develop shingles. After you recover from chickenpox, the virus can enter your nervous system and lie hidden for years. Eventually, it may reactivate and travel along nerve pathways to your skin — producing shingles.

The reason for the encore is unclear. But it may be due to lowered immunity to infections as you grow older. Shingles is more common in older adults and in people who have weak immune systems.
I'm on a bucket full a day of Acyclovir! :D

Mine has been minor but both doctors were concerned for it was so close to my eye.
Maybe my immune system is weak but not been having any problems and feel great. As far as stress, that's not been a problem since I retired 20 years ago. ;)

Good luck with getting relief.

Dayton, Thought I had shingles about a month ago. Went to the dr and he said no that it was'nt shingles. So they did a biospy and waiting to hear the results. Itches like crazy and spreads like fire and feels yucky!!
Good luck with yours I hope it does'nt get bad for you. Keep us posted.

I had shingles some years ago and very painful it was too. As I was in France and Spain on holiday at the time I didn't see a doctor and didn't even have any painkillers with me - not recommended. By the time I got home it was clearing up so pointless to see a doctor.

This is the first time I heard about any vaccine.

Dayton:

That's great to know about acylovir. I keep a bottle of 200mg caps on hand for fever blisters. My PCP said he gets them frequently, too, and he said taking about 4 caps at the first sign of a fever blister, then 4 more caps about 6 hours later will nip an outbreak in the bud.
It has worked like a dream!!!!!!!!!!!!
So every year, my PCP gives me another Rx for acyclovir.

I've never had shingles -- never had a bonafide case of chicken pox but have tested + for the virus in the last year -- but I know it's painful.
However .... I do have to share a family story about one of my mother's aunts.

Aunt Ruth, who had become a little hard of hearing in her 70s, went to a new doctor. Had to give him her health history. She had recently been under the weather, so she related about her latest illness.
"Well, I've had syphillis :eek: in my ear," she told the doctor. Who probably died of suffocation trying to resist bursting out laughing.
Then she realized what she said, and corrected herself: "I mean, I had shingles in my ear." :D

CThrock, they never checked me with a biopsy but felt sure it was shingles. Although the doc hadn't seen it before in a person that had been vaccinated. Good luck with what ever you have.

Sue, the vaccine is quite popular here. Wife was on a waiting list for months.
Either the vaccine or acyclovir has cured me. I take my last acyclovir today.

Thanks Marsha. That's interesting about acyclovir working on fever blisters. I don't have a problem with fever blisters but now and then one pops up.

Good one about your mothers aunt!:D

I got shingles 2 months before my OHS and the dr. said it was because my immune system was so compromized and the Dr. had not found my heart valve problem yet. I got the shingles after getting severe pnemonia 3 times in 4 months.

Back