Another Check-up. . .

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epstns

Premium User
Supporting Member
Well, yesterday I had my (slightly late) 18-month check-up with my favorite cardio. We reviewed my last echo and discussed what all I've been doing and how I've been feeling. Basically I'm doing all that I was doing before surgery, and then some, and I'm doing very well, thank you. His conclusion. . . "Steve, you are rockin' and rollin'." Not only do I get to continue without restrictions, but we also once again have reduced my beta blocker dosage by half. Now that I'm self-paced more of the time (pacemaker only working about half of the time or less), the effect of the beta blocker is to limit my maximum heart rate to about 130 or so. My pacemaker is set to allow up to 160 BPM, but as long as I'm self-pacing, the B/B keeps me from ever getting that high. This limits my exercise and work ability. So we dropped the dosage to see what change it allows. I was originally given the beta blocker to prevent afib post-op, but (fortunately) haven't had any recurrence of afib for almost a year and a half. Maybe eventually I'll be able to drop it completely.

So, although I'll likely never be an elite-class athlete, life is good. As long as I can continue to do it all and maybe improve a bit over time, it doesn't get much better.

Steve, congratulations on a great check-up. If you don't mind my asking, what dosage of beta blocker are you on? I take a small dose of metoprolol (12.5 mg) daily and it does not keep my heart rate down at all. When I run and really push it, I go up into the 180s.

Always great to get a good report. Congrats on a good check up and best wishes for continued improvement.

Simply awesome! It’s always a good thing to get positive medical feedback from your cardiologist. And sounds like your perseverance, positive approach and exercising routine played a supporting role in these results—at least it couldn’t have hurt. Time to celebrate?

It still seems a little strange to read a "Check-up" thread, started by you, that deals with post-op issues rather than issues relating to your ongoing wait for valve replacement!

Anyway, it's great to read that all is well and you continue to make progress even 18 months after your surgery.:smile2:

Thanks, everyone!

It is sort of different for me to be speaking "from this side of the mountain." I was in The Waiting Room for so long.

Garserin - My new beta blocker (metoprolol) dosage is 25 mg/day. I started at 100 mg/day after surgery, then at about 6 month post-op, we reduced it to 50 mg/day, and now to 25. I'm hoping that this helps both my ability to raise my heart rate during exercise and my general energy level. While I've been feeling good since the first few months post-op, I often found that I would be tired during the late afternoon and that working on home projects in the evening was really pushing it. We'll see how the new dosage works out. Yesterday in the gym I found that I was able to increase my heart rate to the 150's - which I haven't been able to do since just after surgery when I was 100% paced and my pacemaker would allow heart rates of up to 160 BPM. Back then it felt like work - now I felt fine. Hoping that this means a return to my pre-op workout levels. I won't find out until next week, as today's work-out has been canceled due to a dinner engagement.

Carry on, class! There IS life after valve replacement - even if you hit all the bumps in the road, it does get better with some time.

Great news - thanks for the update. I hope the lower dose of the BB helps the energy levels as you hope. I too was given beta blockers for the first six months, but, as they decided I needed a pacemaker, the electropysiologist flayt out oredered me to stop it. I don't miss it.

As a fellow class of 2011 member, it's always good to hear one of our own doing well. Thanks too for all your support to fewllow valvers and sharing of your experiences on the forum.

Steve,
What an awesome update, thank you for sharing. It's so encouraging to all of us when good news is posted. Keep up the good work!

What a great update, Steve! Onward and upward. It is great to get a good news report. I, too recall you being one of my 'waiting room' mentors. Yes, it is nice that there IS life after AVR!

All the very best,

Great news Steve! I'm happy that your checkup went well and I hope that you continue to get even better. I hope the new dosage helps. I always enjoy your postings and positive attitude. Here's hoping every day is better than yesterday for you!

Tom

Latest posts

Back