Amiodarone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braveheart

After getting a bovine valve on 6/30/09, I went into A-fib in the hospital. The docs gave me amioderone, and the problem resolved itself quickly.

I was told by my surgeon to take the amioderone for a month. I did, and a few days after I stopped the drug, I again went into A-fib.

My local cardiologist put me back on the drug. I stated my concern that amioderone is a dangerous drug, and wanted to get off it as soon as possible. I also suggested changing the drug to something that was mentioned on this forum.

He poo-pooed the whole thing, saying that people become upset about the drug unnecessarily. Yeah, but he gave me a prescription for a chest X-Ray, and pulmonary function to be taken before I see him in December, so I don't think that he is being honest with me.

If it were anything else, I would wean myself off the amioderone, but I am very frightened about going back into A-fib.

It is almost 3 months since my AVR. I understand that A-fib is not uncommon right after heart surgery, but I don't want to "jump the gun" and stop the drug prematurely.

I changed cardiologists after my surgery, and I am really considering changing again. I am not happy with the answers that I am getting with this doctor.

Have any of you been on amioderone for A-fib after surgery, and how long were you on it?

Braveheart, I, too, was put on Amiodarone for a 3 month period after my heart surgery. I didn't suffer any of the rhythm issues that I am now while I was on it. However, I was worried about the side effects as well and asked my Dr. to let me go off it after only 6 weeks, which she did.

You may want to ask your Dr. to switch you to the new "sister" drug of Amiodarone called Dronedarone. It is basically Amiodarone without the Iodine, which is what is thought to cause all the horrible side effects of Amiodarone.

You should be in charge of your health. If your Dr. wants you to take a drug that you don't feel comfortable with, you should tell him you aren't willing to take it. There are alternatives that have less side effects that you can try first.

I was only on Amiodarone in the hospital just immediately post surgery. I believe it is pretty common for tampered hearts to go into A-Fib. That said, A-Fib is very serious. Do not presume yourself to be even remotely well versed in all that it means for your overall health. Sure, we all know from this site to dread the Amiodarone. So? We need to dread death too!!!

If you are not pleased with the level of communication you are receiving with your new cardio, keep searching. But in the meantime, take that Amiodarone! Please.

Remember that the heart does a happy dance once it's fixed! Think about how you are feeling with this Amiodarone corrected rhythm. Feel it. Learn it. Help your heart to calm itself. Put a little element of personal control into the mix and maybe that, the drug, and time will be all you need!

Best wishes.

Marguerite

I was on Amio for about 6 months. When it was found out my cholestrol went to 300 and it totally wiped out my thyroid,I was taken off it. Within 30 days the a-fib returned and despite numerous tries to rid my heart of it, I have remained in a-fib. I am in controlled rate a-fib and will be for the rest of my life. My other meds keep me in check just fine. It is a drug to be leary of and taken very seriously!

I was on amiodarone for a month. I fired the doctor who prescribed it to me, because he also didn't warn me about the side effects, nor about the conflict with coumadin.
But it worked, for a while. Unfortunately, one of the many side effects of amiodarone is arrhythmia, the very thing it's given to prevent. I wouldn't suggest quitting amio quickly, but weaning yourself off it, as you say.
Magnesium works well at keeping the heart regular.

Even the manufacterer of the drug says it is to be used only when everything else has failed. It was never designed for use as the first line defense of choice, but that is exactly what Doctors are doing. There are alternatives to be tried and if your Doctor doesn't want to play ball, find a new Doctor.

My surgeon put me on it for one month after surgery.Why I don't know.I never had A-fib after surgery.I would impress upon your doctor, your desire to try a different drug.

My Cardiologist told me that Sotalol (generic form of BetaPace) "targets" A-Fib and has few side effects.

The information sheet says that it should be started "in hospital" 'just in case' other arrhythmias are triggered as the body 'adjusts' to the medication. There may be some dizzyness at first but it goes away in a few weeks.

SEVERAL of our members report good results in controlling A-Fib with Sotalol.

Tyce was on amiodarone for afib prior to his surgery by about a month and post op for about 5 months....a total of 6 months. He didn't have any problems associated with the drug, but we both wanted him off. Our cardio weaned him off over the course of about a month and he has never, thank God, had an afib issue since. Personally, I think his heart had done it's healing and was back to being happy and in sinus rhythm.

Evelyn

My surgeon put me on it for one month after surgery.Why I don't know.I never had A-fib after surgery.I would impress upon your doctor, your desire to try a different drug.

Tell me it wasn't Jara who did that, please. Jara was my surgeon at McLaren, a very good surgeon.

Afib is very common with OHS, I also had to take amioderone for a few weeks after a AFib attack, I was told to back off of it ever so slowly not just stop taking it. It and me had some bad times I hated that med, the side effects with me were off the chart. It took me two weeks to get off of it. My surgeon did not want me on it at all he told me the only reason I had AFib is because I had gotten dehydrated from a stomach virus, he is the one that told me to get off of it slowly.

After getting a bovine valve on 6/30/09, I went into A-fib in the hospital. The docs gave me amioderone, and the problem resolved itself quickly.

I was told by my surgeon to take the amioderone for a month. I did, and a few days after I stopped the drug, I again went into A-fib.

My local cardiologist put me back on the drug. I stated my concern that amioderone is a dangerous drug, and wanted to get off it as soon as possible. I also suggested changing the drug to something that was mentioned on this forum.

He poo-pooed the whole thing, saying that people become upset about the drug unnecessarily. Yeah, but he gave me a prescription for a chest X-Ray, and pulmonary function to be taken before I see him in December, so I don't think that he is being honest with me.

If it were anything else, I would wean myself off the amioderone, but I am very frightened about going back into A-fib.

It is almost 3 months since my AVR. I understand that A-fib is not uncommon right after heart surgery, but I don't want to "jump the gun" and stop the drug prematurely.

I changed cardiologists after my surgery, and I am really considering changing again. I am not happy with the answers that I am getting with this doctor.

Have any of you been on amioderone for A-fib after surgery, and how long were you on it?

My surgery was on 8/5/08 for AVR and dilated aortic root. I went into A-fib the next day. They put me on Amiodarone in the hospital for a couple days and I went back into sinus rhythm again. Then I went back into A-fib again. They didn't put me back on it, but rather lanoxin before I left the hospital on the 6th day. I was told to see my cardio when I got home. He then put me on Amiodarone right away and in 5 days I was back in rhythm again. I took myself off of it a month later, and was in rhythm for 4 months before going back in A-fib again. I was put back on Amiodarone for 6 weeks and still am. In the meantime in August I changed cardios and he cut the Amiodarone from 200mg to 100mg. He has since ordered blood test for thyroid, liver, and kidney function, which were okay. I just had a C/t scan on friday of my chest and lungs (no results yet). I go for a pulmonary test next thursday. My heart has been very quiet the last 6 months, so I hope to get off the Amiodarone soon. He also took me off the Lanoxin. I am so glad I changed cardios. He seems to be more up to date, and makes me feel like he's there for me, and just not practicing "defensive" medicine!

I am still on this drug 2 months after surgery. I have an appointment with my Cardiologist tomorrow and plan to ask him to keep me on it. This is the first time in my life that I can remember that my heart is beating a steady beat and not jumping all over my chest, and I will take any drug to keep it that way.

Mileena

I am still on this drug 2 months after surgery. I have an appointment with my Cardiologist tomorrow and plan to ask him to keep me on it. This is the first time in my life that I can remember that my heart is beating a steady beat and not jumping all over my chest, and I will take any drug to keep it that way.

Mileena

Be Careful what you ask for....

Have you read the Information Sheet from your Pharmacist on Amiodarone?

If not, you need to do so.
Or do a Search on VR.com for Amiodarone,
or GOOGLE amiodarone.

Also be sure to read the FDA warning.

This drug can have dangerous consequences if taken in too high a dose or for too long.

You may also want to discuss the new alternative to amiodarone which supposedly has similar action but fewer / reduced side effects.

Yep. I have read them all and they are very scary. However, the fact that I can sit and "forget" about my heart while I work or play is a gift thats priceless. The only problem is the "ticking" at night, but otherwise I can't tell its beating and thats awesome! Of course, I have had a ablation and surgery to "fix" my issues, I just hate to mess with a sure thing. I have also had an episode of A-fib and don't want that to happen again.

Mileena

Yep. I have read them all and they are very scary. However, the fact that I can sit and "forget" about my heart while I work or play is a gift thats priceless. The only problem is the "ticking" at night, but otherwise I can't tell its beating and thats awesome! Of course, I have had a ablation and surgery to "fix" my issues, I just hate to mess with a sure thing. I have also had an episode of A-fib and don't want that to happen again.

Mileena

I understand that, but you won't be happy when your liver is dying or something else is ruined because of it.

Mileena

Mileena, I don't know how old you are, but unless you are elderly, I would be surprised if your Dr. agrees to keep you on this drug long term. I also had the same effect when I was taking it. My heart behaved beautifully and I literally couldn't feel it beating at all for the first time in my life. However, every Dr. involved in my care (both locally and at the Mayo clinic, including the prescribing Dr.) all told me that there was no way they would keep me on this drug long term...just too risky. Even now, after having over a year of heart rhythm problems, Amiodarone is NOT an option.

Kimmie

Let me put it this way... My EP is known as "The" A-Fib guy in the DFW metroplex (or so I'm told). And when I had documented A-Fib he discussed my options with me. He said he didn't want to give me Amiodarone because of the side effects. He mentioned 3 other drugs. Dronedarone (aka "amiodarone light"), Tikosyn, and Sotalol. The second two require a 3 night stay in the hospital to start. After discussing it with my cardiologist, who presented my case to a team of heart experts, it was decided that I would start on Tikosyn. I started it on September 1st. I've had no problems (knock on wood).

When I came home to tell my husband (a nurse on a telemetry floor) about the visit and options the EP presented he said "Oh, I love amiodarone! Works like a charm!" I was aghast that as a cardiac nurse he was unaware of the nasty side effects. Of course, he only sees patients when they're in the hospital, so how would he know the long term effects? He only knows what the docs on his floor ALWAYS prescribe. This is sad to me. I don't like that even nurses think it is a first resort drug. It shouldn't be. There are other options.

Please, don't just stop the drug, but do find yourself a doctor who will listen to your concerns and perhaps switch you to another drug if you still need something. I assume you have an electrophysiologist if you had an ablation? If not, get one. Perhaps he (or she) will be more aware of the long term effects of Amiodarone. Good luck!

I was on amiodarone for about 6 weeks after my AVR. I read the insert and told the surgeon to take me off. I guess it stays in your system for awhile. Anyway, he did take me off. That insert worried me.

Latest posts

Back