Amiodarone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, my Cardiologist said there was no way he would keep me on 400mg a day! He did let me keep 100mg and I have to go to a clinic that can check me all out for any effects of the drug. He made my appointment today. Now, I am worried about what my heart will do on 100mg! I did kind of mention that if I went back into A-fib because he was taking 300mg of my drug away that I would beat the crap out of him. (My doctors all love me!)

My Cardiologist seems to think that with my VERY enlarged left Atrium that I can pretty much EXPECT to go into A-fib! This worries me because I hated being in A-FIB! It was horrible.

Mileena

Right, my Cardiologist said there was no way he would keep me on 400mg a day! He did let me keep 100mg and I have to go to a clinic that can check me all out for any effects of the drug. He made my appointment today. Now, I am worried about what my heart will do on 100mg! I did kind of mention that if I went back into A-fib because he was taking 300mg of my drug away that I would beat the crap out of him. (My doctors all love me!)

My Cardiologist seems to think that with my VERY enlarged left Atrium that I can pretty much EXPECT to go into A-fib! This worries me because I hated being in A-FIB! It was horrible.

Mileena

(Some) Cardiologists at The Heart Center in Huntsville, AL are now prescribing Dronedrone instead of Amiodarone because of the reduced side effects while maintaining most of the 'good' aspects of Amiodarone.
(per discussion with a couple of Nurses at that facility)

Other Cardiologists (at The Heart Center) even prescribe Sotalol which they claim targets A-Fib and has WAY FEWER side effects. As I have said before, Many Members here report good control of A-Fib with Sotalol.

You may want to have another discussion with your Cardiologist.

Mileena
Find out if you can switch to one of the above mentioned alternatives.

Hope you stay out of A-Fib!

My doctor did mention the new drug but also stated it was VERY expensive and since I am uninsured I cannot afford to buy it. I mentioned maybe I could go on something else if 100mg doesn't work or he decides to take me completely off next visit....he didn't mention the sotalol. I guess if I DO go back into A_Fib then we would discuss something else.

I know there are people who stay in A-Fib and you guys must think I am a big baby, but it is truely one of my BIG worries. My heart will also accelerate and I sweat a LOT as if I am running! I just want to avoid that.

Mileena

Before my Medicaid I got all my meds free through programs directly from the makers. Sometimes the doctors office is not aware you have a need so you will have to speak up. My doctor didnt know much about it,but,the nurses are all kept informed and handle the details.

It's no secret. If you cannot afford your drugs, have no insurance, check www.needymeds.com

Nearly every drug is listed, both brand name and generic with links to the applications and guidelines to the manufacterer's product. They all have different guidelines, so don't assume that you don't qualify for a specific drug. ;)

I plan to make an appointment with my cardio, tell him my concerns, and ask him how long he plans to keep me on the amiodarone. If I don't like his answers, I am going to look elsewhere for another doctor.

Wish you the best Braveheart and if he opts for Amiodarone
there are better alternatives

This was a horrible choice the surgeon made for me without
my knowing,til after i was on it pumpheaded and all after surgery
I had alot of effects on it,everyones different but i know never for
me again and i dont feel my surgeon was sincere by telling me when
i was going home from surgery and had no idea how it would effect me
and knowing the effects afterward can be too late for us,the drug
did its job for me but down the road what else has it done for me:eek:

Make your Doc listen to your concerns if he doesnt....Dump him
you have choices,mine left me in the dark

Zipper- So far I am not noticing any untoward symptoms, but I have no idea as to what the drug will do to me down the line.

I really need to look for another cardio. The problem is that there are not very many top notch ones in my area. Originally, I was impressed with this doctor. He appears very bright, but I am beginning to see that his "bedside manner" leaves somethingto be desired.

Yesterday, I had an ultrasound done on my arm, to see if the clot was still there. (It IS getting better). I had promoted this procedure myself, and had called a doc that I know, who is a vascular surgeon,and an excellent one. In five minutes, I got more information from the technician, than I had gotten from my cardio.

Latest posts

Back