am I light headed?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enudely

My cardiologist has told me I have "symptomatic aortic stenosis" *(this diagnosed at the treadmill test). We're looking to have my aortic valve replaced (again) in early December. He has told me it's very important that I report any possible symptoms because this would clue us in that the valve is getting worse faster. Well, now that I know how bad the valve is, I feel like I'm constantly feeling light headed and sometimes it seems like I have to try to take a deep breath.
I can't tell if I'm imagining this, or if I'm just noticing it more. I basically feel lightheaded, and sometimes even dizzy, a lot of the time. I am a mother of 2 young kids and also a nanny to a 3 month old baby. I'm terrified that something is going to happen when I'm alone with the kids/babies. Am I just being paranoid? I almost don't want to wait 2 months for the surgery, I'm so freaked out that there will be an emergency.

Hi there! I had a 12 month old baby and a 5 day old baby when I was diagnosed with my heart condition. Then yes, of course I noticed the "symptoms" however I think now looking back it was just anxiety! I had the same fears as you. I was afraid before having the surgery I wouldn't make it to surgery and I was afraid to be alone all day or drive or go anywhere with my babies because I was scared something would happen to me! I don't think you are being paranoid, it's a real thing that can happen. Will it happen? Most likely no. You are being monitored closely and your doctor would have rushed it along if he was super concerned knowing you are with the kids all day.

I know that doesn't help much, but please know I felt exactly the same way you did. I had surgery 5 months after my diagnosis which came out of nowhere. If you need to talk about how to deal with all of this and the kids please feel free to PM me anytime!

My cardiologist has told me I have "symptomatic aortic stenosis" *(this diagnosed at the treadmill test). We're looking to have my aortic valve replaced (again) in early December. He has told me it's very important that I report any possible symptoms because this would clue us in that the valve is getting worse faster. Well, now that I know how bad the valve is, I feel like I'm constantly feeling light headed and sometimes it seems like I have to try to take a deep breath.
I can't tell if I'm imagining this, or if I'm just noticing it more. I basically feel lightheaded, and sometimes even dizzy, a lot of the time. I am a mother of 2 young kids and also a nanny to a 3 month old baby. I'm terrified that something is going to happen when I'm alone with the kids/babies. Am I just being paranoid? I almost don't want to wait 2 months for the surgery, I'm so freaked out that there will be an emergency.

I would suggest you follow doctors orders let them decide what is importatnt................THAT in itself will ward off any "emergency" and you will feel better partnering in your health care

I agree that some of our symptoms "can" be caused by stress or thinking we have them because we are asked. I also understand that sometimes we live with unknown symptoms for so long we don't know what "normal" feels like. It is a difficult tightrope to walk. After years of not knowing (I had regurgitation rather than stenosis) when it got worse I definitely knew! The saying the worse it gets the quicker it gets worse was definitely true for me.

Could be anxiety. Also do you have a home monitor to check your blood pressure? Could be low bp. Are you on any meds? My docs give me meds to deliberately keep my bp low to protect the heart device. Yesterday afternoon, I took mine after taking my wife's, and mine was 84/52, almost half hers. Low bp can make you light-headed at times, so would be a good idea to check it. Also, of course, check with your doctor's office.

I agree with Greg. Let the doctor determine what's what. Perhaps you can kind of befriend someone at the doctor's office. Usually the cardio will have his/her own particular assistant who fields the calls. Find out who this is. Let that person get to know you. Let them know that you are not able to discern the difference between possible symptoms and possible anxiety. Let them know that you will probably be calling them from time to time as you need them to help you figure this out. DO NOT BE SHY about calling the doctor. After all, your doctor said to!!! He means it!!

You say you are looking at surgery in December. You will not be able to take care of your children, or be nanny to an infant for several weeks post surgery. You will need some help. Perhaps you can get that help started now?? If you were training someone to take your place, or help you, then they could be with you now and ease your concern over what could happen while you are with these precious children day after day. Please act on your own concerns -- that way everyone stays safe.

Best wishes. And welcome to this wonderful community!!! We are here for support! Come often.

Marguerite

Probably the best thing that you can do right now is not to over-exert yourself.
The summer before my surgery I was supposed to continue to help a neighbour with her toddler, and I told her that I was waiting for surgery and couldn't do it for the sake of the safety to the baby and myself.
It was a hard decision to admit that I just couldn't keep up anymore, but I was having dizzy spells, trouble breathing, etc.
Take some time to relax, maybe with meditation or gentle yoga, you deserve it.

Being extremely dizzy at times was a BIG symptom for me. I know it wasn't all in my head...I think if you ever had a major dizzy spell you probably wouldn't have to ask if you are imagining it. A few weeks before surgery I had two episodes of rotational vertigo that I put down to inner ear....was even seeing an ENT. I have daily dizzy spells and odd vision things......double vision, halos, black spots. ALL of these have gone away since surgery. The only vision problems I have now are floaters.

Mileena

Anxiety may increase the intensity of the symptoms in some of us -- heart patiens, and may cause similar symptoms in other people with no heart issues. But in your case, I humbly think your symptoms are real and you are simply more aware of them now, which is somehow better than pushing them away and denying their real cause!

Keep your cardio informed and take deep breaths and try hard to relax. You need to be strong if you will have the surgery in December. I am curious if your cardio referred you to any surgeons or discussed any other matters about the surgery!

Good luck and keep us informed.

Latest posts

Back