Almost 3 weeks post-op and doing great!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiley2000

Hi there VR friends ;)

I am almost 3 weeks post-op (Sternotomy) and just had to pop in and report: I am doing great! The incision has healed very well and I can sleep on my sides now without a lot of discomfort!

There is a big difference between the OHS I had last year to fix the valve (being on bypass) and this OHS. I have a lot more energy this time. Being on bypass has a huge affect on your heart and lungs.

The "reveal" (Cardiac loop) is just moving around a bit and that is sore - my friends with pacemakers will relate to this - and I am still trying to get the thing to "grow" on me.

But other than that, I am really doing great.

To all our new valve-friends: just hang in there, this to shall pass and then you'll be so glad that you did it!

Take care. Hugs:D

What a great update. What a relief it must be to not have the pain. How has your esphogus pain doing?
Do you mind me asking what they had to do? Did they have to reopen your entire sternum? what did they do to close it? Did you have chest tubes? I'm only asking because Justin will be having another surgery on his sternum too, but his is for an infection, and I hope it is a little better than last time. He was in much longer for that than his OHS, mainly because of moving the muscle and his 3 chest tubes were draining for a while.

And STILL so positive and upbeat!!! You are a peach!!

So glad that things went well for you. Please keep us posted on everything and know that you can come here for anything.

Best wishes for continuing and speedy recovery.

Marguerite

Smiley:
After all the difficulties and problems you had before, it is so refreshing to see that, this time, you are doing very well.

You have such a positive approach to this and a positive attitude to other circumstances that I believe that you will prevail this time. Thinking of you and sending all sorts of positive thoughts your way.

Blanche

sternotomy

sternotomy

hi smiley

it is great to hear you are making a good recovery.

but, maybe i have mixed you up with someone else, but i thought you were having a proceedure just to remove the wires etc around your sternum. now i read you had another sternotomy; just to remove the wires???

anyway, you seem amazingly cheerfull for someone having yearly ohs!

hi smiley

it is great to hear you are making a good recovery.

but, maybe i have mixed you up with someone else, but i thought you were having a proceedure just to remove the wires etc around your sternum. now i read you had another sternotomy; just to remove the wires???

anyway, you seem amazingly cheerfull for someone having yearly ohs!

That was the first plan, but it turned out her part of her sternum didn't close http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33358
"RT scan shows that there is a huge gap as sternum did not attach. He will have to go in again, remove all the wires, clean the bone from tissue and this time he will put clips on and not sternal wires. So it is basically open-chest surgery?"

Thank you Lyn for clearing that up for Westie... he sounds a bit confused.

It is so nice to read the replies on my posts and to hear that I encourage people and that it shows that I have a positive attitude - that inspires me to stay positive.

And when I have my moments and feel sorry for myself, I just think of people like Justin - he and his mom is amazing!

Yes, Smiley!
I concur that your positive attitude is an inspiration and glad you are doing so well! Of course, that doesn't mean that you can't have those 'feel sorry for yourself days'. You are human...

Take good care,

Thank you Lyn for clearing that up for Westie... he sounds a bit confused.

It is so nice to read the replies on my posts and to hear that I encourage people and that it shows that I have a positive attitude - that inspires me to stay positive.

And when I have my moments and feel sorry for myself, I just think of people like Justin - he and his mom is amazing!

Now to ruin your thread. I'm still here! :D

Latest posts

Back