A little advice, please? (WARNING - kinda gross)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcia58

OK, friends, here's what I'm asking....

I'm sick, really for the first time since my OHS. Some kind of respiratory "thing". It started two weeks ago, with a horribly congested head, fever, stiff and achy body, sore throat, and a little bit of a cough. I felt almost over it within 48 hours. I still had a runny, stuffy nose, but the stuff I blew out was clear. A few days ago, the cough came back. but now its a hard cough, with sticky mucus that's greenish-yellow and hard to bring up--to the point of gagging sometimes.

SORRY IF THIS IS TMI!

Anyway, anything I should be on the lookout for? Any precautions I need to take? I have a doctor's appt on Monday for something else, so there's that.

Thanks, Marcia

Marcia, if you lived in Southern Indiana rather than Northern Indiana, this would be an easy diagnosis....Ohio Valley Krud. Mention it to your doc on Monday, but it probably is some kind of seasonal allergy.

Sounds like your nose could be draining to the back of your throat. I had the same problem and my cough sounded like one who would have bronchitis or croup in children. Docs thought I had COPD after having a cold. Well I don't have COPD (and you probably don't either) and was put on an inhaler and later a nose spray (expensive stuff) to help with that "sticky" stuff that was stuck in the bronchial tubes.

Is your nose still dripping and won't dry up?

Marcia:

I was real sick a couple of weeks ago too which started out like yours. By the second day it had already made its way to my chest. Definitely get it checked out. I was put on biaxin 500mg and a cough syrup with codeine. It took atleast 5 days after starting the antibiotics for me to start feeling better.

Be careful taking OTC meds without consulting your doctor. Cough suppressants can do more harm than good for a "productive" cough.
You may need an expectorant to break up this stuff, maybe even an antib.
Best wishes.

There is a respiratory bug going round. Were seeing it here. You need some antibiotics, preferably Avelox, but your Doctor can figure out what's appropriate for you.

Mucinex is really really good for breaking up chest congestion; get the plain Mucinex, you don't need the stuff that has additives for other cold symptoms. From what I've read it doesn't interfere with Coumadin, if you're taking it.

I am glad you are seeing the Doctor soon. Anything greenish is likely an infection, but as to whether it is from sinuses and draining to create a secondary infection in lungs, or just is in lungs, you definitely need a Doctor to figure that out! Just remember, any infection needs to be treated, as there is too much risk of either impaired lung function making your heart work harder, or chance of infection becoming systemic instead of localized. Keep us posted, and I hope you will have a speedy recovery!

Mucinex is really really good for breaking up chest congestion; get the plain Mucinex, you don't need the stuff that has additives for other cold symptoms. From what I've read it doesn't interfere with Coumadin, if you're taking it.

My ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) Doc is a Big Believer in using Mucinex to break up Heavy Mucus.
It WORKS !
Be sure to follow the directions (drink a Full Glass of Water)

Crud

Crud

The crud is the crud and it makes its rounds. A visit with your doctor is appropriate if you aren't seeing any improvement as your body tries to fight it off. Hopefully, you've got a good doctor. One of my teachers had something for a couple of weeks and her local doctor refused to give her any meds for it; she ended-up visiting an emergency clinic in another town and the doctors there gave her some meds that cleared things up immediately.

I actually started coming down with some kind of nasty nasal crud earlier this week. My blackberry brandy cure cleared it up very quickly. The sneezing and runny nose stuff quit overnight.

-Philip

Marcia, if you lived in Southern Indiana rather than Northern Indiana, this would be an easy diagnosis....Ohio Valley Krud. Mention it to your doc on Monday, but it probably is some kind of seasonal allergy.
Gee..you are making me homesick for the 'ville:)

Marcia: It sounds like a sinus infection at worst...but as already said, mention it on your appt anyway.

Latest posts

Back