7weeks post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michellemar

Live near Santa Barbara, California, treated at US
Whoo! Whoever said time could crawl was exaggerating the speed, grass certainly grows faster!
I think I'm taking too darned long to recuperate. Only THIS week am I walking around the house w/o sob spells. Very nice, actually!
Dr. Vaughn Starnes put in my porcine St. Jude aortic valve...and all I was given was 1/8aspirin daily! The Doppler tech said she could not see where his work began and my heart ended(!). So I have a Jewel in there to treasure. And the aortic size went from under .8cm...to a 2.3cm!!!!! Now could drive an elephant through there!!!! A problem IS that I still have fluid in my lungs and boy can I do coughing jags. Productive however. Have had a fever (under100degrees) for over weeks, and legs that compete daily for the elephantiasis award, but my sister says I can't see the reduction, but she can. Starting to sing again...as it's my main contact with that wonderful world...got a 4 July concert ,hope I'm not overdoing,,,but it feels so DARNED slow!!! our music director is a genius and dedicated. Not alot of solid food gets eaten...cottage cheese, apples sauce, lots of vita and food supplement. Eyes closing on me.... do I need any redirects..? Thanks. Michellemar

But if I am on the road to recovery....why this constant on/off fever, why the water...I must be carrying 15lbs of it, why can't I even just go out for lunch with friends...I keep not feeling up to it. I've got "read, sleep" down... But I add anything more and I'm throwing up or something....
Is it REALLY this hard for everyone else? I live alone, so it's a God send when someone calls to go shopping for me... AND the constipation thing is not turned around sorry to sound like such a wimp... Am on just water pills, mucinex as far as just the Cardio meds. If I'm just being a wimp I can handle that. And did people have this kinda constant mucous flow ? Thanks for anyones help, here ! Michellemar

Michelle, it sounds slow and unpleasant to me, but at least it's been going steadily in the right direction, which is better than some of the "bumps" that some of our pals here have experienced. Good luck. If (as we all hope and expect) your progress continues and speeds up, you'll soon hardly remember how long this part took. (At least that's how it works with my memory! ;) )

Michelle
I am 7 weeks post-op as well ! It does seem we all recovery at different rates, probably based on several factors. #1 How much repair/replacement was done in the surgery #2 If you had any complications during your surgery ( I woke up 3x in surgery, my MD just informed me last week....glad I have no memory of that) or hospital stay ( had no complications). #3 How your over all physical health was to begin with...if your a diabetic or had problems with a low immunity, due to another health issue #4 If we are over-weight and did not have a routine exercise program, before our cardiac issues started #5 Our emotional well-being/attitude #6 our diet prior to surgery # how much stress we have in our life....to name a few. Everyone's body is different. I am sure others here know alot more reasons.
I gained over 20 pounds of fluid in the hospital, started losing at first when I came home, but suddenly in one day, added 10 pounds, then 11 pounds the next week....I was so swollen..... I had "Kankles"....thats the name my daughter came up with, for how my ankles looked. My heart just needed time to recovery....to get strong.......a AVR/Triple bypass....was hard for my body to adjust to at first, I guess. I have been taking Lasix 40 mg....and suddenly...............all the fluid is gone....my heart finally started to get it right. I have now lost 38 pounds, which makes everything I do easier.
Have you looked into Cardiac Rehab ? I start June 7th.........as I know that 3x a wk for 12 wks....will strengthen my heart, my body and.....help my emotional well-being. I still get tired easily too.............but I am confident with my heart now repaired, I can look forward to feeling better than I ever have. My goal is to go hiking in Yosemite, August 30th, for my 60th birthday. Set a goal.............even a small one........get to that one, then set another....and keep doing it.............till you feel your new normal.
If your low-grade fever is present.......remember...you can even run low-grade fevers from constipation. Fluids, Fiber in your diet ( add fruits and vegetables,wheat or oat bran ), exercise and elevating your feet on a box, when you are on the toilet ( Dr.Oz said it makes your body be like in a squatting position, thus straightening out your bowels) which makes it easier to defecate. There are several meds on the market....MOM, or ones which contain fiber are good, such as Metamucil.
I came home from the hospital on antibiotics for a sinus infection, so I understand about the coughing....I have just within the last week, finally been able to sleep in my bed, without coughing . ( used a medical recliner, previous to that)
It will get better, I promise you that..........each day is a step forward.............to a healthier life. If your symptoms continue.....always discuss your concerns with your Doctor.
Sending you kind, caring positive thoughts...............You Can Do It !!!!! Best of luck and many hugs.
Renee
Go Team 2011 !!!
Dx BAV with severe stenosis and 3 arteries 75% plus occluded 11/2010 Surgery 4/14/2011 AVR with a Edwards "Magna" Bovine Tissue Valve and a Triple bypass.

Wonderful post, Natina. Very helpful to those in the waiting room and proceeding through their own recovery. Great attitude. Hope your recovery continues on a bump free course.

Nandina, I very much appreciate your post. I think you nailed it, you called out every little nasty that tries to hide from the light...ESP when you went backwards on your water retention so I'm not so nuts!
I'm an organic freak, yet bad as casein should be for me I've been totally hung up on lactose -free milk (hot)...in bed as I read. Root beer...of all things...probably settles my stomach. Other than that I'm gluten and corn-free, simple pieces of fruit, fish oil (ugh) and other assd vita...raw if I can get them.
My immune system has taken several hits, and going it alone without family is difficult. Recently, though,two sisters have been checking in on me...the gratitude I feel for that! And friends willing to go shopping for me. A tear maker for me but a new housecleaner (8hrs she works!) tucked me into bed when she left last time. What a strange, new life.... It is so new.
I've had double hip replacements (twofers) but nothing touches heart surgery. Thank you for your post. Michellemar

Michellemar - I'm glad Natina was able to help. I can chime in here and tell you that I had many of the same issues during my first month at home after surgery. I had that nagging cough (I called it "kennel cough" because it only started when I was in the hospital), for which I was advised that it was OK to take Mucinex DM. That helped enough that I was able to at least carry on a conversation during the day and sleep at night.

Constipation (and the related low-grade fever) were with me seemingly for the entire first month at home. For me it was so bad that I was actually re-admitted to the hospital to sort it all out. Once they figured out what was happening, they gave me a good dose of magnesium citrate (a drinkable liquid laxative - must have been industrial strength) and things began to head back to normal. They sent me home with instructions to use Miralax for the first week or so. This worked well, and I was able to gradually reduce the dosage so that after a couple of weeks I didn't need any help in that area.

I'm glad you've found that no matter what you run into, somebody here has had the same experience and is not self-conscious about discussing it. That's one of the beauties of this site.

Michellemar, I'm 9 weeks post op tomorrow. And I've was hospitalized again week before last... coughing so bad I vomited. Today I'm still coughing off and on and it's productive. I still feel like I have stuff running down my throat. When i was in the hospital the cardos found out that something happened to my heart since my OHS in Apr. So, like everyone says, it just takes time and we all have our own bumps.

Carol

Rosebud (Carol),.....
You said when you were back at the hospital the Cardios found out that something happened to your heart since your OHS. That has me wondering... What happened to your heart... Too much pressure somewhere, pulled stitches...I hope you don't mind my asking.... It's just that my cardio said something, and now I'm wondering if I should have been paying a little more...attention... Hope you can get back to me.... Michellemar

HI, Michelle-
Hang in there, baby. :) I remember feeling around month 2 so frustrated that recovery was going too slow. I thought I would be back at work at week 8, but it took 12 weeks. Just get your rest and walk when you can. It will help with the swelling. Are they giving you Lasik? That really helps. Avoiding sodium also helps. When I was "kennel coughing" and had "kankles" from fluid retention, I did notice I felt much more tired.

Hi Michellemar,

No I don't mind sharing. I went to the emergency room for terrible coughing (BTW still coughing today...7 weeks now) anyway, as soon as they did an EKG they told me my heart was not working as well as when I left the hospital 7 weeks prior. My heart is not pumping very well. NonIschemic Cardiomyopthy they called it..they say it could have come from the surgery...it's call Mycardial Stunning (or as they explained "your heart is pissed off due to what was done to it". However, Mycardial Stunning usually happens within two weeks of surgery and I was at 7 weeks, but it's not unheard of. They put me on additional heart meds and I go back to get checked on 27 May to see if my heart pumping has improved.

Carol

I remember around 7 weeks feeling like recovery would never end. I am a widow with a teenage son still at home and the lonliness was terrible. Too much time to think and no one to dispute my thoughts. My surgeon said it would be 12 weeks before I could go back to work and he was not kidding. Find something to keep your mind busy, I read, became a CNN addict, and talked to certain people daily by phone. Some days it was too much to take a shower and go out for lunch or shopping. Check in here daily, the positive spirit you will find here will make you feel better as well as some answers from people who have been there.

Thanks guys. Yesterday I had to put down my cat Pio, who was the gentlest, sweetest cat I ever had. He still thought his daddy was his mum and when he'd had too much(?)he would put his head under his daddies' chest like an ostrich. His daddy, good old Joseph was very patient with this, and would clean his coat.
I learned Pio had cancer three days before having to leave 130 miles to the hospital...a vet had said put him down now, but he didn't know he was sick so I brought him home and gave him .3mmfish oil, vit E, and vit C which somehow stopped all his swelling and he was like normal. When I was gone my friends took over the job, and why I don't know, but he was hungry, playful and fine and I got to see him like this and take care of him for all of May. But smells make me want to vomit, ane he started going downhill to fast for me to think of anything else. His last 2nights, if I could have dripped him(4 hands needed, only had two) could have seen his daddy again-2of my cats are at cat condos at the vet because just could not keep up with the smell of the kitty litter messes yet. So his last two nights he was hurting, and I would have vomited if I'd cuddled him. My friends took him in yesterday to be put down. Now he's gone and I have a hole in my heart big time because he was my best, my most intuitive, and I let him down so bad because I don't feel well myself. And we are to avoid depression, but I never let one of my cats down like this and it just seem someone turned the lights off. Sorry to go on, but this cat knew when I was sick and would come stand over me, just barely touching, rocking back and forth-it was uncanny. My best friend! I gotta move on, I know it, but I'm just stuck. Sorry if I bummed anyone out. I'm just so sad, never mind the Wretched Failure.
Thanks for letting me ...say something not alot of fun. Michellemar

Michellemar,

I'm so sorry to hear about you cat. I've been through the same experience...more than once and I know it breaks your heart. Give yourself time to grieve and remember that Pio had a long wonderful life because of you.

Carol

Hi, MIchelle- me again.
YOu poor sweetie. It's okay. I had a similar situation with my Maggie (14 year old irish setter) and keeping her on before and after my surgery. I decided to wait on putting her down, and she was around for my recovery, but I just had to put her down 2 weeks ago. It is sooooo hard, and I know how you feel. Just remember Pio proably wasn't going to get better based on what you describe, so it really was the kindest thing to do though so difficult. Sometimes we have to put them down because it is what is best for the family's health as in your case. Pio had a lovely life with you and stayed as long as he could to make sure you are okay. It hurts very much, but you will feel better about it soon and know that it was really the best for Pio and for you. I know you are worried about the effect of your greiving on your recovery, but worrying about him (is he eating, is he in pain, etc.) and trying to save him would have given you equal if not more stress. Hugs, sweetie. YOu were a good mama and did the right thing.

Last edited:
Back