7-Week visit with cardio

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epstns

Premium User
Supporting Member
Well, today was the 7-week visit with my cardio at Northwestern. This was also the follow-up to my re-visit to the hospital after discharge from surgery, etc.

She said that I am finally progressing at the rate she expected originally. I am perhaps a couple of weeks behind where we hoped I would be, but I'm doing better every day.

Since my edema has not returned, we are going to suspend lasix treatment (and the related potassium supplements) and if all remains stable, no more lasix.

The cardio also said that from her quick check, it sounds like I am in normal sinus rhythm - so maybe the Afib was purely post-surgical and temporary. Hope so, because that would mean that eventually the amiodarone and the warfarin could go away, too.

Other than hoping to not remain pacer-dependent, my only other issues are the hoarseness (almost no voice, but no pain) which the cardio says may still be related to the intubation, so give it another couple of weeks before we consider going to an EENT, and insomnia. She said (and I know) sleep disruption is common after OHS, but she did write a prescription for Ambien if things get too bad. I wouldn't want to use that stuff consistently, but for a night or two if things are bad, it may be good to have on hand.

Now that my pacemaker has been in place for 6 weeks, I no longer have to be so overly concerned to keep my left elbow at or below shoulder level. For the first 6 weeks they tell you to restrice range of motion to minimize chances that the pacing wires will be pulled out of place. Of course, being highly pacer dependent, I wouldn't want that to happen.

All in all, a good check-up. I feel better by the day, and I can now say that I definitely feel better than I did just a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully I will remain on track and can be back to almost my usual self by the 3 month mark.

Glad to hear, Steve. Sounds like on balance a good appointment. I too have an Ambien prescription, as I haven't been able to get my mind to shut off at night like normal. I have been taking one most nights, although I think I may be getting to the point where I can eliminate it. I think I will try this weekend to go without it, as I don't need to be anywhere early Saturday or Sunday, so good days to sleep in if I don't fall asleep early.

After reading through all of your post-surgical bumps in the road, I am glad to hear you are on the road to recovery, Steve!

Well Steve, it seems like things are looking better. You may not need the AMI and Coumadin much longer....that alone would make my day!!! I am asking for a tissue valve to avoid the Coumadin and noise. Now all I need is a little a-fib and then Coumadin will become part of my life. BUT I am choosing to think positive. So far my arrthymias have been pvc, pac with a a little svt but no a-fib so far. ANyway, I think you are doing great considering all that you've been through. You should write a book!!! I would buy it!! Stay positive and keep up the great recovery....I look forward to reading more of it. God bless.

Jeri

Jason - One thing my cardio reminded me about was that for "minor" sleep disturbances they often advise patients to take over-the-counter Benadryl. It is normally used as an antihistimine, but they also use it as a mild sedative because it makes you drowsy. I tried one last night -- slept through the night!

Thanks, Steve. I had always stayed away from Benadryl as I thought it raised your blood pressure for some reason. However, if your cardio says it's okay, it must not or not enough where he would be concerned with it. Thanks for the tip!

It's good to see you're catching up with yours and your cardio's expectations, and feeling better.

A hint about Ambien--if you have the problem of waking up after a few hours of sleep, take half an Ambien. I learned it from a friend years ago.

It's good to see you're catching up with yours and your cardio's expectations, and feeling better.

A hint about Ambien--if you have the problem of waking up after a few hours of sleep, take half an Ambien. I learned it from a friend years ago.

How does that work? Seems backward; if you wake up after a few hours, only take half the medication? I will have to give it a try, though. Thanks for the hint!

Jason (apology to Steve), I guess it depends how long you want to sleep. I frequently wake up 1-3am, half an Ambien will keep me asleep til 5 or 6. I rarely get more than 6 hours sleep from a whole one, maybe because pets are demanding breakfast by 6.

You have had your share of "bumps". Sounds like that is all behind you now!

I sure hope they are all behind me now, but I won't hold my breath at least until I'm cleared for rehab. At that point, I will truly feel that I am past the "on-ramp" to recovery.

Steve everything sounds a lot better than it did a few weeks ago. Less speed bumps make for a faster recovery (little pun there). During my first surgery I had one single bout of A-Fib in the OR after they kick started my heart and I ended up on amiodarone during my hospital stay and for 4 weeks once I got home. I didn't have another bout after the one I had right after surgery so they took me off of it after the 4 weeks. Hopefully they will do that for you (as well as the Coumadin which they didn't put me on).

Sounds like things are smoothing out for you. I think you will enjoy rehab, I know I did after my first surgery. I still haven't gotten word from Medicaid if they will cover it for me this time and I'm sneaking up on 9 weeks.

I still have the 2 issues...pounding heart beat and highish blood pressure. They gave me the lowest dose of Ambien for the pounding heart and I have taken it most nights. Once I can get to sleep it doesn't bother me and all is good. As a matter of fact it is pounding right now...lol...and I was worried about the clicking of a mechanical valve. It couldn't be any worse than this pounding. The BP worries me because it is staying about 10-20 ticks above normal on both ends. I have a feeling I am going on another BP med instead or along with the Metoprolol.

bout 10-20 ticks higher than it was pre-surgery, but I attribute that to changing my BP med from Avalide (angiotensin receptor blocker) to Metoprolol (beta blocker). I'll have to mention this to one of my cardio's but so far they aren't concerned. Maybe because the readings are still on the high end of normal, and they may be waiting a few more weeks to see how things normalize before changing any meds. I'll bring it up and see what they say. I feel OK, and I'm not yet doing anything really strenuous (walking only - not running or lifting weights yet), to I'll just wait and watch.

Latest posts

Back