6 Week report

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Moroz

Greetings,

So today is 6 weeks since my surgeries. Yes, I did say surgeries (a 7 hour one and a 5 hour one on the same day). I just wanted to say how great I am feeling. Physio seems quite impressed with my progress as well as everyone else. I still have some issues though and hopefully these are common.

After the surgeries I had some numbness in both of my hands. I could still feel things but it was like the point when your fingers are starting to fall asleep and you get that pins and needles feeling. Thankfully that cleared up in my right hand quickly and my left hand is slowly getting better. I think the main reason for my left hand still being numb is due to the IV line being in my left arm. I would tend to not use the arm as much when I was in the hospital so things have to slowly work themselves back to normal.

The top inch of my incision and my drain holes are still "open". They are not bleeding but they are a bit weepy. I was surprised they didn't stitch or steri-strip the drain holes but it seems like some places just leave them open.

****post edit****
I forgot to mention that I am having some wonky heart rhythms as well. Occasionally my heart will seem to double beat or it will seem to skip a beat. From what I have been told by a doctor that this is normal and should settle down as the heart heals. I hope it does as it makes sleeping annoying when you start thinking of it.

I was hoping that the restrictions (< 5lbs, no driving, no work) would be lifted soon but it looks like those can only be lifted by my cardiologist. He, unfortunately, is away on vacation until May. I guess this gives me some time to learn a new programming language.

Either way, things are great. Can't wait to see what the next six weeks brings. Hopefully it is driving.

Last edited:
I was hoping that the restrictions (< 5lbs, no driving, no work) would be lifted soon but it looks like those can only be lifted by my cardiologist. He, unfortunately, is away on vacation until May. I guess this gives me some time to learn a new programming language.

Either way, things are great. Can't wait to see what the next six weeks brings. Hopefully it is driving.
Glad to hear you are feeling great and the numbness is fading. BUT that's lousy that no one else in your cardiologist's office can clear you to resume driving and other activities while he is on vacation. I agree with finding a silver lining to that, but I'd rather be driving and doing more. Enjoy the time off. :)

I hope that my surgeon decides to make the decision and lift the restrictions. I am supposed to head off to the airport in a month for a vacation. Not being able to drive or lift your luggage is a bit of a problem when you live alone. :)

I know that they say to watch what you lift (5-10lb range) for the first 6-8 weeks, the last thing you want to do is have your sternum heal funny and create issues for the rest of your life, I can understand the anxiety of getting back to normal things, but 2 surgeries in one day is quite the load and I know I'd find myself being extra careful. I hope things get back to normal, I just really hope you don't push too hard to fast. Other than that it's great to hear things are well, and I hope they continue.

Cheers!

Did your cardiologist leave you the name of some sort of backup while he is on vacation? I would think that would be standard procedure for someone in such a critical role. If so, I would think that they would be able to give you your release from the restrictions.

Great to hear that your recovery is going fairly smoothly. I hope that you get those restrictions lifted when your doc returns. Good luck!

Tom

My "wonky heart rhythms" lasted a long time after my AVR -- over 6 months, IIRC. A tiny touch of AF, but long bouts of ectopic beats, skipped, doubles, unusually slow resting, etc., etc. Now (over 15 months post) I'm going full-tilt at crazy competitive sports and not thinking about it. The added awareness of heart rhythms and what they feel like probably never goes away, so sometimes when I'm lying in bed I wonder if that pulsing I feel in my ___ (fill in the blank: neck, stomach, chest, wherever) is normal or "wonky". But at this point, I think it's just the leftovers of a long and natural obsession.

Hi, Brent, it is good to hear you are exercising and feeling better. I think there is no way that a cardiologist just goes off on and leaves patients in limbo. Ask his office who is caring for his patients. If they say no one, then you need a different cardiologist. My own surgeon gave me some time frames with respect to lifting and driving. The "5 lbs" was for the first three to four weeks after which I was told I could gradually increase the weight. His instructions were to listen to my body and avoid anything that caused discomfort. With respect to driving, my surgeon recommended no driving until I stopped taking any narcotics. Since I stopped taking those in the hospital, he suggested driving short distance after five weeks but always with the caveat that I do so prudently.

Perhaps others could comment about this, Brent, but I don't think most surgeons micro-manage their patient's activities after surgery. After two visits with my surgeon (one & three weeks following my release from the hospital) my care was turned back to my family doctor and cardiologist both of whom I have long relationships with.

Larry

I contacted the cardiologist's office again. The secretary for my cardiologist is going to try to get me in as soon as she can when he returns. There is a week in April that he is back but is currently fully booked. In the mean time, another cardiologist in the office has given the okay for me to lift more than 5 lbs again and to start driving. In both cases they recommended not going right up to the 50lb limit quickly or to drive for hours at a time until I feel comfortable. Gotta listen to my body. I won't get the okay to go back to work until after my full checkup though in May (thank goodness I have a lot of sick/medical leave).

Of course things might change when I meet with the surgeon in a week or 2.

Brent

Latest posts

Back