6 week post-op surgical checkup

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Edmonton

Went for my due diligence checkup today, Dr. Says it all looks good. I have no problem with them being busy but they could have saved me my time and just talked to me on the phone!

Basically the responsibility was shifted to my GP and me, they have moved on to performing there medical magic on others more needy.

The surgeon and his right hand man saw me and basically said I did not look like a patient anymore, the surgeon disappeared and his side kick looked at my incision and took my blood pressure. It seemed like i had to stand in front of him to prevent him from leaving the room so I could ask more questions. Not even sure if it really matters, he said they should not need to see me any more and schedule any other concerns through my GP...I guess I'm free to carry on with my life:smile2:

Yeah, that's the way it is. It's kind of sad, but you will likely never see that surgeon again. They just move on to save another life. You'd think they would benefit from some long term feedback as to how you are doing, but that's what clinical trials are for. I developed a rather strong liking for my surgeon. He had a great personality and showed so much interest in me and my welfare. So, I'll just send him a Christmas card every year with a picture of me running a 10K and some words of thanks.

Yeah - I got the same impression from my surgeon -- even though I had some post-op complications. He told me at 30 days post-op that the surgical sites were doing fine, the heart was fine (TEE and echo done) and that I would now transition to the care of a cardio on his staff, then to my "local" cardio. It could get icky if there are any more post op speed bumps. It is also confusing in that since I have a pacemaker, I should also be seeing an electrophysiologist, I think. Guess I'll have to set that up myself. . .

So true. The last time I saw my surgeon was when I was about 6 weeks post-op (I remember driving myself). Haven't seen or heard from him since. Everything is now in my GP hands, although if I ever have to go to the ER I will contact my cardio (a lesson I learned the hard way).

So go and enjoy and carry on with life Jeff.

It always is a source of wonder the different level of care we get as my surgeon was a very hands on guy for months (April - October 2007) until he handed off to my cardiologist who saw me monthly until August 2008 and was in charge of the heart function clinic that I attended weekly. In August 2008 I was implanted with an ICD and cut back on the Heart function clinic to monthly but the implant clinic bi-weekly. All along I was seeing an endocrinologist (every 3 months) and a nephrologist monthly. I am just starting to see a Hematologist

All of these specialtists send detailed reports to my GP who "quarterbacks" and is in touch with all .....just last week after I saw him he called my cardiologist about cutting back on one of my meds .....my GP is a great guy with almost twenty years in an ER before going into a private practice and he personnally calls me in the evening if there is something he feels needs to be relayed to me he also gets reports from the dermatologist I saw after surgery and the podiatrist that I still go to even though the pressure wounds on my heels are cleared up as well as my optometrist who I see annually as being diabetic is also covered by Gov't

I suppose there are differences and reasons for them in the duration of F/U by the primary surgeon. If my surgeon saw every patient for 6 months or so, he wouldn't get much else done. So many people come to him from so far, he usually doesn't even do the 6 week F/U appointment. I was only 40 miles away, but I had to ask that he do this F/U visit. He was very nice about it, and spent time answering my questions and examining me carefully, but that apparently is unusual, even though he has a clinic day every week for F/U visits as well as new patient consults on another day. He spent almost 2 hours in my original consult visit, a meeting I will always remember fondly. A lot of things were a surprise to me at Stanford compared to my experience working in teaching hospitals 20 years earlier. The surgeons now completely rely on the nurses in the stepdown as well as the ICU to monitor your condition. I was expecting daily surgical rounds, but I rarely saw the surgical group. I saw them in the halls making rounds, but they usually skipped my room. I felt neglected, but the fact is I was doing so well there was no reason for them to see me very much. They focused on the sick ones. I really didn't figure this out until near the end of my stay. Somebody should have warned me. Medicine is streamlined and sometimes it can cause oversights but over all it probavbly improves care since the caregivers can focus where it is more needed. Thank God I have a wonderful, thorough GP and smart cardiologist.

It is wonderful to find a GP that one can work through health issues with. I spent many years without one then came across mine 15 years ago. We share so much with these professionals compared to any other profession, they lead very interesting lives.

Trust and faith plays a big part even today, with all the science and technology we are all still very human. We live in a mystical world filled with chance and choices.

We have but one cardiologist in central Alberta and I am not sure if he even knows that I exsist, should be interesting to
see how my GP handles this in the next few years. I may have a long distant cardiologist and make several more wasted trips to the big city, time will tell. Hopefully I stay healthy and there will be no need for help.

Wow, Jeff. I don't know how I would fare in an area with sparse medical coverage. I live in Chicago, with many doctors of every specialty and I still wonder if I live "close enough" to them.

It is kind of taking the car in for service as the person taking in the car (cardiologist) takes in the information and may make an educated guess as to the issue from the tools he has at his disposal....he the hands off to the mechanic (surgeon) who opens the hood and works on the engine while the first person (cardiologist) may be looking into a car that has another issue eg A FIB ..............

Okay, is this dumb, or what...I have surgery AVR in six days, and...what's the difference between the Cardiologist...and the surgeon? I thought (?) it was the same person?..

The Cardiologist, is the Doctor who takes care of people Heart issue, makes the diagnoses, does the yearly appts, prescribe the meds, orders yearly tests and some also do Caths (Interventional Cardiologist)

The surgeon does the actual operation and follows you post op until you are recoverred from surgery. (I explained it a little longer in another thread a short while ago)

Back