6 days

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Well guys I have been trying to catch up on posts to see how everyone is doing. I am doing ok,(just ok) I sure seem to have this annoying pain that I am going to discuss with my doc tomorrow. It is just above my hip on my back. If I lie down long enough it radiates to the front.It just jolts me every once in awhile. I am not sure what it is.. but it is what is causing me the most pain and beginning to stress me out. I didn't get any pain meds from the hospital so I am currently trying to manage it with x-strength tylenol. Anyone experience this? I would be feeling pretty damn fine if I didn't have this. :mad:

Urinary tract infection? Just a guess sounds like the area you get pains. Sorry your having pains. Otherwise are you coming along ? I'm going to guess your home and theres no place like it .

Good luck at the Doctor & Feel better

Penny,

So sorry your back pain is persisting, hopefully it will be diagnosed and resolved soon.

Had back pain for a few days, I assumed from lying prone for 48 hours, but nothing to speak of once released from hospital.

Too bad you are not closer as I have a full complement of unused not needed oxycodone and other pain meds that i was released from hospital with.

Get well

Gil

Well, Penny, I don't know, but I had terrible back pain and it did radiate around to the front also at times. Don't remember any "jolting" though. I had pain in my back, sometimes my low back, middle back and upper back and neck!!! I can't believe you came home with no pain meds!! I tried to get off of my pain meds about a week after surgery, but I realized that was not the smart thing for me to do! You can't heal when you're in pain! So anyway, After 2 weeks post op, I quit taking all pain meds. Then several nights ago, I decided to take only 1 pain pill at night when I go to bed, because I got kind of tired of waking up in the mornings being so sore! It's helped me sleep a little better too! Anyway girlie, I hope you can get it all figured out tomorrow! Soooo glad to hear you're doing well, otherwise. It will get a little better every week. I've been walking more in my neighborhood, probably a mile to a mile and a half now. Feels great!! Hope you're able to get your walking in too! Well, let us know what happens tomorrow!

Penny,
So sorry that you are experiencing this back pain. That is not fun at all!!! I can only say what my experience was. I had a whiplash injury a number of years ago (in the thoracic spine area) that seemed to rear its ugly head right after my surgery. I swear, it was like I was reliving the whiplash injury all over again. I was given some strong antinflammatories which seemed to do the trick. It took a good week or so for it to subside to the point that I could move. However....I was dealing with this while in the hospital and not at home.
I really hope it gets better and will look forward to an update as to what the doc. has to say.

Hi Penny, so glad you are doing ok. I agree with everyone else...YOU SHOULD HAVE PAIN MEDS. I still take one vicodin before bed and it really helps me(I am almost 4 weeks post op). My surgeons office and my cardiologist both said it was fine and in fact, impressed, that I had eliminated them during the daytime hours about a week ago. I tried to be strong my first week because the pain meds made me feel a little wooshy and went on Tylenol and it did not help me at all...and when I was readmitted to the hospital for 2 days that week....they explained to me that you can not recover and do all the things you need to do if you are in alot of pain. I hope each day gets better...Looking forward to another update soon.

Well peeps got my answer...
The pain is caused by my lung. Doc says the lower part of my lung is collapsing. I have been slapped on the hand for not breathing deep enough & given a huge wake up call from the big guy upstairs.
So breathing I am although it is painful and I have
some wild painkillers to manage the pain. Turns out I am not being a wuss after all :)

Well peeps got my answer...
The pain is caused by my lung. Doc says the lower part of my lung is collapsing. I have been slapped on the hand for not breathing deep enough & given a huge wake up call from the big guy upstairs.
So breathing I am although it is painful and I have
some wild painkillers to manage the pain. Turns out I am not being a wuss after all :)

No, you're not a wuss at all! I'm quite surprised you were not sent home with an Rx for pain pills. I have an idea of the pain you're going through. Lung collapse is not an uncommon thing to happen after OHS. Take it easy. Hope you're better soon. Gentle hugs!

Penny,
I'm sorry to hear about that! Take those deeeeeeeeep breaths, woman!!! Hope things fall into place real soon for you! Thanks for letting us know the outcome! Rest up!!

They sent me home with a spirometer to use for breathing exercises. I think most people got one.
Did they not send one home with you? If they didn't do that and they didn't give you pain meds then someone mucked up your discharge pretty badly!

Do the durned deep breathing exercises.

They sent me home with a spirometer to use for breathing exercises. I think most people got one.
Did they not send one home with you? If they didn't do that and they didn't give you pain meds then someone mucked up your discharge pretty badly!

Do the durned deep breathing exercises.

I was thinking the same thing.

Penny ~ I did the same as you - only Tylenol. Now that I'm older and wiser....:wink2:....I'd get the prescription pain meds. Just take it slowly, breathe deeply and try to walk a little and you will build up your stamina in time.

thanks everyone, the pain is managable now.. just some jolts once in awhile. I don't like being drugged up the time but I guess I just need to deal with being in lala land 24/7
I find I have to keep reminding myself that I just had surgery 8 days now. I think my expectations are just a wee little bit out of wack!! ;)

Hi Penny,
Yes, it was just 8 days ago, wasn't it? You've come a long way, and still have a bit to go, so do take it easy, don't push yourself too much, and sit back and sip some Kool-Aid.

Big hug, :angel:

Latest posts

Back