5 Years Ago Today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, Chris! I remember reading your updates in 2009. I had just been told I had to have surgery (but that turned out to be wrong). I'm glad to hear you're fully recovered now.

Today is my 5 month anniversary! Almost forgot. :)

Yay, Chris! Good to hear from you and even better to hear that you're doing well. I remember you from way back. You helped me over the initial panic of diagnosis and prognosis.

May you have so many more great years that you tire of counting them!

Good to hear from you, Chris! I sure remember the rough road you had after your 2009 surgery. Happy 5th to you and wishing you many more years of good health. :)
All the very best,

Congratulations, Chris! I remember reading all of your updates in 2009. I'm glad you're much better now, and hope you won't ever have to do it again!

Yesterday was my 5-month anniversary. Time flies!

Hi

congratulations on your recovery ... I note with interest your point:
mainframe;n849491 said:
-Had a bit of a tough time (including a chest infection that lasted 3 years) but I'm still here doing pretty well.

and wondered if you had a wound infection or a Pneumococcal infection. I ask because I'm still on antibiotics after my 2012 OHS operation (and some subsequent debridement operations) and still feel 'grumbly twinges' in the sternum (suggesting to me that the fight is not over yet for me).

Hope to back hear from you. PM seems not to be working so if you are inclined, just post here

Best Wishes

Thanks guys for the good vibes.

Pellicle, I was never sure of the cause of the infection. I do know immediately after my 2nd surgery, my chest was left open due to swelling for around 5 days. That plus this being my second OHS I believe increased my odds of infection.

My chest incision closed and healed normally. My symptoms throughout were an accumulation of fluid in the chest that would force it's way out by tunneling. I'd get a small pencil eraser sized hole around my incision that would weep fluid.

All 3 of the operations I had subsequently seemed to be centered around wire removal and tissue debridement. The first by a general surgeon removed 1 wire. The second by both a thoracic surgeon who removed all of my wires & plastic surgeon who closed with a muscle flag revision. According to the plastic surgeon who also did the follow up, the 1 or 2 wires they left in “couldn’t be” the problem. In each instance after the surgical would healed, I would notice first swelling, then the tunneling, then the leakage.

The third surgeon (a good heart surgeon Dr. Mark Hill) removed the last of the wires previously missed and an abscess of fluid that had be painful at times for most of those 3 years. I used a would vacuum for closure and followed up with intravenous vancomycin. This surgery was about a year and a half ago and I haven’t had a problem yet (knock on modular office furniture).

While inconvenient and not fun to have to wear a bandage/dressing for most of the 3 year period, I never felt bad or had to limit any activity. My biggest concern was the sternum bone, pacemaker or mechanical valve getting infected and requiring removal.

I hope it’s over. I hope you get yours under control.

Latest posts

Back