4 weeks ago today :)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna

Had aortic valve replaced with mechanical valve on 1st of June .All is well.I was in hospital for 12 days as they were not happy with my warfarin levels.I did not experience any pain .The hospital care was wonderful.I have been sleeping full nights in my own bed.I wake up between 6 am and 7 am most mornings so at the moment i get up and go and make my breakfast and eat it outside listening to the birds :) fresh air is such a tonic.My appetite is just ok and foods that I normaly love,i have gone off.I still have a nap every afternoon.I have been to the cinema twice ( "greenberg" (didnt enjoy it)and an Irish film "His and Hers",loved it ),walks and have eaten out quite a bit. I havnt really organised an exercise program ?? but have been walking around a fair bit and feeling stronger all the time. I can hear the mechanical valve sometimes but it does not bother me at all.I find car journeys a bit stressful.I am not driving yet of course.How did anyone find driving post op?Over all every thing has been much better than i expected.it is wonderful to have it all over but I am still glad that i have 5 months before the op to get my head around it all . donna

That sounds wonderful. I will be six weeks post-op thursday. I am glad that you have been able to get up and out so much.

Debbie

You sound wonderful! It's nice to hear you are doing so well. For now, walking is the best thing. You can think about more exercise in a couple-three more months.
Driving, I think the minimum is 4 weeks, but 6 might be better. There's a lot of strain on the muscles and sternum, plus all the car vibration.

I remember riding in a car was uncomfortable for at least a month. I didn't have the strength to drive for at least 5 or 6 weeks, and not for long distances (the 24 miles to work) until after 8 to 10 weeks. But everyone heals at a different rate, and part of it depends on the condition you were in prior to surgery.

Great your coming along and feeling better. I'm driving and found the hard part is turning the wheel for parking and getting out of a parking spot. Started driving about 6 weeks post op and glad to be back behind the wheel.
Give the food some time if you don't like your old favorites think of the fun you'll have finding new favorites . Took me at least 2 -3 weeks to get my taste back.
Heal Well

Glad you're doing so well Donna! Regarding driving, I agree with Gil. Take it slow. I started driving at 4 weeks, but it still hurt a little at that point to turn the steering wheel, esp. at low speeds (like trying to turn into a driveway). I'd suggest waiting a couple more weeks if you can. And when you do drive, since you have a mechanical one like me, here's a little tip... When you think you've left your blinker on - not to worry, it's probably just your valve ticking, lol. I seriously thought I'd left the blinker on a couple times when I first started driving. The ticking noise doesn't really bother me either.

Donna
I am 13 weeks post op from an aortic valve replacement (bovine) and a double bypass and in hospital for 5 days. I find my appetite has increased since the surgery but I am now eating healthy foods and cutting down on salt intake. I started driving at 11 weeks and like you I now take a nap almost every day. Just started rehab and cycle 7-10 kms per day for about an hour. Chest pain has almost gone. I don't have a mechanical valve but when I first get up in the morning I feel and hear the valve pumping....Gord

Donna, I've tried several types and find that a small cylinder shaped pillow works well to keep the shoulder strap away from the chest. I'm now at 9 months since my AVR but for longer drives, I still find the shoulder strap irritating. My friend, Susan, has made me a couple of pillows but the best one is about 10" long and 5" wide and is filled with very fluffy stuff. I like this pillow because I can easily move it around although I usually keep it to the side of my chest not in the center. My Surgeon let me start driving after the first month home so that would have been in week 5 after surgery. My only problem has been with the pressure of the shoulder strap.

Larry

Donna, I've tried several types and find that a small cylinder shaped pillow works well to keep the shoulder strap away from the chest. I'm now at 9 months since my AVR but for longer drives, I still find the shoulder strap irritating. My friend, Susan, has made me a couple of pillows but the best one is about 10" long and 5" wide and is filled with very fluffy stuff. I like this pillow because I can easily move it around although I usually keep it to the side of my chest not in the center. My Surgeon let me start driving after the first month home so that would have been in week 5 after surgery. My only problem has been with the pressure of the shoulder strap.

Larry

Everyone is different, but Justin has had a couple surgeries that he drove after and a few that he was a passenger but still had the annoying seatbelt problem. The first few weeks after surgery, he puts a pillow between the shoulder harness and his incision. but then we got the sheepskin "sleeves" that go around the shoulder harness part of the seatbelt and he thought they worked really well for him. There was enough padding that cushoined his incision, but wasn't as awkward (for him) as the pillow.
something like this
http://sheepskinshoes.com/ecom/ProductDetail.php?id=11578

Latest posts

Back