36 hours post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasBAV

Hey, I made it. AVR with bovine tissue valve at Cleveland Clinic on 11/27. First day post op was rough, as I was nauseous and then felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest for about six hours. But I think I ( hopefully) turned the corner tonight and now feel quite good, just some soreness in incision area. Looking forward to eating breakfast tomorrow and going for a walk in the halls! Will post more details later. Thanks to everyone for all the great info on this site, it has been invaluable.

Good news!

I felt like crap the first day/night after surgery as the anesthetic did a number on me but once the nausea was controlled I felt good the next day with little/no pain issues other than when getting up & lying down. Coughing was another story as well. The third day I was really drained and didn't feel like doing much other than sitting in bed or the chair. By the fourth day I was fully functional, all things considered, and ready to get out of there but had to wait 2 more days while they figured out the right meds for my AFIB. The real clue that things are progressing is when they start removing meds instead of hanging new ones and put on portable monitoring instead of lugging around the rolling stand. :)

Well, for what it's worth, mid-day yesterday I was cursing my decision to have e surgery (I've been symptomatic) and the decision to get a tissue valve ( requiring future surgeries), particularly during the "elephant sitting on my chest" phase of the day. And I'm still not keepi solid food down, but that's probably my own fault for trying to eat too much at breakfast today. Heart rate is still a bit elevated too. But it's amazing what a difference a day can make.

That's exactly the way i felt. I couldn't have felt more ill and deeply regretted the valve choice Third day I felt much better and got 7-8 hours sleep that night. It wasn't very long after and I felt I could easily do 3 or 4 more replacements. Yeah those first 30-40 hours for me were definitely something I don't miss. It was hard to feel happy to be alive, when I wasn't happy being alive. When the nausea disappears happiness does happen.

Its great your feeling better, enjoy the rest of the experience.

Glad to hear that you are doing fairly well. Just take it slow. I have a truly complication free recovery, except I tried to do to much while still in CCU and my nurse came in and gave me and the physical therapist a piece of her mind. She told me I wasn't 10 feet tall and bullet proof and the therapist got scolded cause she should have know better. Ah well, once I was set free after 4 days in the hospital I cooled my jets a little and took everything a little slower. Just do the same thing. Your body will definately tell you when you have overstepped your limits. Get better soon:)

Well, for what it's worth, mid-day yesterday I was cursing my decision to have e surgery (I've been symptomatic) and the decision to get a tissue valve ( requiring future surgeries), particularly during the "elephant sitting on my chest" phase of the day. And I'm still not keepi solid food down, but that's probably my own fault for trying to eat too much at breakfast today. Heart rate is still a bit elevated too. But it's amazing what a difference a day can make.

You will probably continue to have days that are real good and some that are bad. It will get better as time passes, and one day you will look back and barely remember the surgical experience. I'm seven years out, and that's how it's been for me. I predict that your first day home will be a challenge, and if you get a coughing or sneezing streak started, you'll really be unhappy. :eek2:However, if you've ever had any surgery, few are walks in the park, and how many people would happily go through another? It's all a matter of perspective. By the way, it's good to read that you're feeling good this soon post-op.:smile2:

Best wishes for an uneventful, speedy recovery! I'm four months post op and I think I have gotten past the worst of it. Today, I worked out at the gym and then raked leaves for a couple of hours. I feel great! I have no regrets for the bovine tissue valve. In looking back, those days in the hospital are already a blur for me. I hope it will be the same for you.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery! I was nauseous and couldnt eat for my first 5 days, was horrible. It gets a lot better when you go home. Take it easy, respect the recovery process, and you will be great!

Update: 11 days post op. Walked 2 miles yesterday, 2 miles this morning, 3 miles this afternoon. Hope to go back to work (desk job) at least part time by middle of next week.

That is impressive doing so much walking.
I was walking fair distances rather quickly but you are way ahead.
Be careful you are not over doing it. Give your body time to heal.
Happy to hear you are doing so well.

VegasBAV that's amazing. 11 days post op I was still walking around the house only. Don't mean to sound like your mom but slow and steady wins the race.

VegasBAV, so you are home? Was that trip difficult? Who did your surgery? Congratulations on the great walk!

Latest posts

Back