3 weeks Post Surgery and elevated HR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooney

Hi everyone,

I had my mitral valve repaired on February 28th. Things seem to be going okay for the most part, I am in cardio rehab now three times per week and gradually getting my strength back.

I've got two areas of concern:

1) I keep getting these foggy or spacey feelings. Like I am in a mental fog. This may last for hours and usually starts mid morning through afternoon. I checked my BP during this time and it's around 105/75, which for me is a a bit low. I'm normally 125 or 130 over 80.

2) My heart rate. Prior to the surgery my normal resting HR would be 65-75. Now it is 85-100. It just does not seem to want to come back down. Even in the middle of the night or when I am on the couch completely relaxed, it's still 85+.

Could the high HR be what is making me feel dizzy and foggy at times? How long do elevated HR's last after surgery?

Thanks for all the help.

Richard

Hi, Richard, If you have not already done so, I think you should speak with your cardiologist in case the sensations you are experiencing are related to heart function. The elevated heart rate and blood pressure is pretty normal after surgery. Like many people, my surgeon & cardiologist had me take a Beta Blocker. For awhile, I took Metoprolol which did reduce my heart rate. After about six months, the drug began to slow my heart rate below what was comfortable and my doctors first reduced the dosage then agreed to let me stop using it at seven months. After that my heart rate returned to a normal rhythm. The dizzy/foggy sensation could be caused by the heart but it can also be a drug reaction so it is important to find out which and address the problem. Its even possible that both issues have the same source.

Larry

Richard - 3 weeks post-op is not a long time. I am not at all surprised that you still have periods of "foggy head." I, too, had that - to the extent that I had a hard time reading a book for about 4 or 5 weeks. I could read short emails, thus could keep up with the happenings at work from home, but I could not stay focused on a story line in a novel. After a while, it just cleared up. (I was able to get back to work part-time at 6 weeks, full-time at 8.)

I agree that it may be worth a discussion with your doc, but they may tell you to bear with it for a little longer to see if any of the surgical meds are still with you. It could also be from one of your current meds. Blood pressure meds or beta blockers sometimes do this, too.

Thanks guys. I did call my surgeon's office and they aren't too concerned. I am back at work half days now (just a desk job so nothing special there) and I'm able to get through client emails and phone calls without embarrassing myself, so hopefully the fogginess will get better in time.

Richard

I'm glad you contacted your surgeon and got peace of mind.

As for BP and HR, I went through the same thing. My pulse became higher and my BP became lower than they were before my surgery. My cardio and surgeon were ok with both. I was only warned to let them know if my pulse went over 100 for a continuous time! I was put on Toprol which was stopped after a few months, but I'm back on it and I do not mind taking it!

I think you are doing great! Hope you continue to fell better.

Hi everyone,

I had my mitral valve repaired on February 28th. Things seem to be going okay for the most part, I am in cardio rehab now three times per week and gradually getting my strength back.

I've got two areas of concern:

1) I keep getting these foggy or spacey feelings. Like I am in a mental fog. This may last for hours and usually starts mid morning through afternoon. I checked my BP during this time and it's around 105/75, which for me is a a bit low. I'm normally 125 or 130 over 80.

2) My heart rate. Prior to the surgery my normal resting HR would be 65-75. Now it is 85-100. It just does not seem to want to come back down. Even in the middle of the night or when I am on the couch completely relaxed, it's still 85+.

Could the high HR be what is making me feel dizzy and foggy at times? How long do elevated HR's last after surgery?

Thanks for all the help.

Richard

i Don't know about you but for me my heart rated where always this high and it was ok this is fine between 85 to 100 it's good actually

Just to update, the fogginess has subsided and I can think much clearer now. I'm still dealing with the high HR. In fact, it seems to have increased and is settling around 100-110 at rest.

I went to the ER after a bad evening when there was a lot of pounding and skipped beats. That resulted in them taking some blood, checking thyroid, doing an echo and a 24 hr holter. After all that the only change was going to Torpol XL 50mg once per day from Metoprolol 25mg 2x per day. Same dosage but slightly different drug.

I'm about halfway through my 36 sessions of cardiac rehab, I usually start around 110 BPM and go up to 130 or so BPM with exercise.

I guess since my cardiologist is not that concerned about the high HR I will just have to ride it out some more. I hope it comes down soon, I'd be delighted with anything in the double digits!

- Richard

Hi Richard, I had and aortic valve replaced on March 27th, and my heart rate was running around 100 then 1 week later it went up to 156!! that was scary. I went to the ER where the surgery was done. They gave me Cardizem thru and IV and it went down. A week later (last weekend) it happened again, high pulse. this time it was 162. The ER kept me and last Monday morning I ad an ablaision done, they found the spot in my heart that was sending the signal to trigger the high heart rate and they cauterized that spot. Now my heart rate is under 90 and my blood pressure is a text book 120/ 80. When I first got home I did feel a little foggy, now I'm better & I feel normal.

I'm still running 100 average at rest and then 125-130 with exercise at cardiac rehab. Feeling good otherwise. I have not had any crazy spikes in the HR. It's consistent, consistently high!

Would they do an ablation for a guy like me? I just worry that I am wearing out my newly repaired valve and my heart prematurely.

I'm still running 100 average at rest and then 125-130 with exercise at cardiac rehab. Feeling good otherwise. I have not had any crazy spikes in the HR. It's consistent, consistently high!

Would they do an ablation for a guy like me? I just worry that I am wearing out my newly repaired valve and my heart prematurely.

Hi!
Why are you thinking about an ablation? I am not a doctor, but it is my understanding that if you are in sinus rhythm, as i suppose you are, then ablation does not make sense. As far as i know, ablation is performed for other kind of complicate arrhytmias, like atrial fibrillation, and only after pharmacological treatments fail.

Give it time! Your RHR will decrease!

Hi, sorry you are having a bit of a speed bump in your road to recovery. I know this is simplistic but way back when I was a nurse the first question we would ask with s/s like yours would be; are you staying well hydrated?
Be well, Bonny

I wouldn't worry about 120-130 with exercise, since the body needs additional blood supply during times of heavier load. 120-130 is not "clinically high" enough to cause any concern. Many athletes routinely get their heart rates up to the 170's or higher during competition. Your cardio rehab team probably has whatever guidelines your doctor has set for managing your rate while in rehab class.

As to resting heart rate, I don't think 100 is uncommon this soon after surgery. I can't really be very specific since I cam home from valve replacement with a shiny new pacemaker which is set to a minimum of 60. Even now, 3 years later, I often see my heart rate is 100 or more when I'm just walking down the hall, and it rises from there when I climb stairs. As long as it feels OK, no worry.

Unless you are having other problems, I would bet that with time your resting heart rate will decrease to a "more normal" range.

Thanks guys, I was only asking about the ablation because of that one poster who mentioned it. I don't want it, no!

I'm just a worrier I guess. I'm two months post op now and the heart rate just has not done anything to come down. It seems to like it there and I am just wondering what to do next. My next cardiologist appt is mid May so I will see what he has to say.

The good news is I feel a LOT better, really good actually! Back to work almost full time and doing some more chores around the home, grass cutting, weed eating, and last weekend I set a new post in concrete for our mailbox.

I'm also a pilot, aviation is my passion, and when I go for my FAA medical in June/July I don't want to walk in there with a 100+ heart rate. Hence the worry.

Latest posts

Back