3 Months Post Surgery Feeling Winded

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian9258

I am writing for my brother who is waiting to have an echocardiogram. He had a pig valve replacement (open heart surgery) on 10-28-09 and was feeling pretty good, but about a week ago he started to go downhill. Every tiny effort leaves him winded and tired. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this while we wait for the test and results to come back? He was so optimistic and was doing so well, but now he is exhausted and can't even send an email.

If he can't even send an e-mail, he needs to be evaluated by a knowledgable Doctor ASAP. I'm thinking either his Cardio or Surgeon or, since this is a weekend, he may want to think about going to the ER.

There are many possible causes that need to be checked and/or eliminated. One possibility is fluid collecting around his heart (or in his lungs). Does he have any swelling?

'AL Capshaw'

Do you mean the echocardiogram is to be immediate, not in a day or so?
I had pericardial effusion 3 months after aortic valve replacement. It is treatable, but can become serious quickly. I am not a medical expert, but this is worth a trip to the emergency room rather than waiting. I didn't have typical symptoms, and it was not recognized until nearly an emergency.

I don't want to scare you and your brother unnecessarily, but my experience makes me uneasy for you.

Being so exhausted and sick that he can't send an email certainly sounds like an emergency situation....I hope your brother is in hospital getting the attention he needs.

Jerry went through that and it turned out to be pericardial effusion, a collection of fluid and blood around the heart. He had to be hospitalized for 13 days if I remember correctly for a procedure called "pericardial window," and the wait for the draining to stop. Get him to ER ASAP.

Appreciate the Input.

Appreciate the Input.

Thanks everyone for your concern. It is really a godsend to have so many people who have gone through the same thing or experienced a similar situation. I just talked to my sister in law and she confirmed that he was doing okay and has just gone to the cardiologist. He is very depressed as he was doing fine until about two weeks ago. (He is only 51). He just doesn't have the strength he had had in the past few months after surgery. At times, he feels that he is not getting enough oxygen but the cardiologist confirmed that he is. I love this site, I appreciate people's heartfelt stories and situations.

Thanks everyone for your concern. It is really a godsend to have so many people who have gone through the same thing or experienced a similar situation. I just talked to my sister in law and she confirmed that he was doing okay and has just gone to the cardiologist. He is very depressed as he was doing fine until about two weeks ago. (He is only 51). He just doesn't have the strength he had had in the past few months after surgery. At times, he feels that he is not getting enough oxygen but the cardiologist confirmed that he is. I love this site, I appreciate people's heartfelt stories and situations.

He might need to see his family physician. It could be something non-cardiac-related. Could be anemic, a viral ailment. I'd get a CBC done, blood cultures, etc., a general workup.

You mentioned he's very depressed... be sure to tell your GP that, too. From what I've read, and from Mom's experience, depression isn't uncommon, but highly treatable.

Many of us have experienced some periods of fatigue after surgery but it could indicate something else if it persists and needs to be discussed with one's Doctor. Likewise, as Shari has just said, depression is a common response to heart surgery, especially, several months afterward. This is a medical condition that can seriously interfere with recovery but it can be treated effectively.

Larry

Latest posts

Back