2nd avr surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginian777

dr called today wants to do surgery valentines day to replace mechanical valve thats leaking with bovine wish me luck.

Sorry you have to do that again. Having my FIRST and hope ONLY valve replacement Feb 12 (mechanical) so we can recover together!

Well, hope all goes well with the replacement. The mooo club is not so bad. Just stay away from newly mowed fields or ya and hamberger joints. Be thinking and praying for you come the 14th.

edwards life science irvine,ca the valve wasn,t the problem it was the stiches cut loose,i really hate the warfarin going every month and spending 2 hrs to get blood work having to watch what i eat and drink.it just seems to me everything pre surgery i was told to eat to be healthy you are told not to with warfarin. at least that my view so people get along fine if i could self monitor it would have been a whole lot less streeful.but i go to the veterans medical center here in virginia and they don't offer it.

i am four weeks post op, I got a cow valve and am doing well. Good Luck you!

well not that I am wishing to sway you from your choice, but 99% of the stuff given as advice by medical professionals about dietary changes on warfarin is overblown in my experience. My Warfarin dose remains constant at 7.2mg a day and I eat and drink what I want. I drink between 1 glass (most nights) and half a bottle of red wine (not that often) and have not had any issues with my INR varying.

Personally I find the biggest problem being the labs trying to micro manage it. My INR roves between 2.4 and 2.6 which is perfectly fine if you ask me (or my surgeon). As Ski Girl has said, it will be interesting to see how you feel about the changes. I'm not 'in love' with my clunker but ... well its what I have.

I hope sincerely for a better outcome for your next surgery.

Best Wishes

itwell i don't drink i take 5.0 m-w-f and 2.5 rest of the days it's the going to the va once a month that really gets on my nerves and yes a lot of people i have talk to don't mind but i'm ocd so i really weid out about inr and oops did i just eat something with k in it.i feel like i'm tied to it ,can't ever stop thinking about my heart cause there is always those reminders warfarin, blood test ,inr, enought to make me crazy.

Virginian,

All the best with a 2nd surgery, too bad the 1st did not fully resolve, darn.

FYI, Bovine aortic valve was my 1st choice pre-surgery, but I ended up with Porcine valve on surgeon's judgment call, no gripes cause my porcine is working just fine 34 months later and drug free other than a daily 80 mg aspirin, am very fortunate.

hoping for you that all goes well, with quick rehab to normal liefestyle.

be good

Gil

Latest posts

Back