2nd avr surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd AVR from Mechanical valve to Bovine

Although it has surely be done before, i do no recollect reading on this forum an instance of replacing a faulty mechanical valve with a bio valve?

Questions i have:

From the post it would seem that the doctor is recommending the Bovine, unusual or so it seems, but at an age of mid 50's, it seems a good choice to me?
With the Bovine valve, will you be able to eliminate warfarin 3 months post surgery?

Interesting and different

Gil
Wonder if your doctor

I have a bovine valve and never took warfarin/coumadin. I guess some surgeons recommend it for 3 months after surgery, some don't.

2nd AVR from Mechanical valve to Bovine

Although it has surely be done before, i do no recollect reading on this forum an instance of replacing a faulty mechanical valve with a bio valve?

Questions i have:

From the post it would seem that the doctor is recommending the Bovine, unusual or so it seems, but at an age of mid 50's, it seems a good choice to me?
With the Bovine valve, will you be able to eliminate warfarin 3 months post surgery?

Interesting and different

Gil
Wonder if your doctor

I have bovine valve and my surgeon ordered three months of warfarin post op. They worry about a clot early after surgery until our own tissue smooths out the seat of the vavle. As it turned out, I required a very large dose of warfarin and despite that high dose, I never fully reached the range he wanted. I am a very compliant patient and had a knowledgable, sensible coumadin manager. My surgeon told me to stop at 2 1/2 months. He didn't like me taking such a big dose.

It is very lucky for me I chose tissue valve and do not need permanent ACT. It could have been a problem for me had I chosen mechanical but that was not knowable in advance.

Back