22 for me

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
It's been 22 years, today, for my St. Jude.

Although I may have been offered a choice of mechanical valve (I'm not sure that I was - and back then, there was really no way to learn the differences), the decision was probably made by the doctor, based on his knowledge of the options and the available valves.

I wasn't intimidated by the anticoagulant management - I probably didn't really know enough to care about it, and it was too soon for all the anti-coumadin folklore to make me want to avoid it.

For me, it's weekly self-testing and careful management.

I'm just glad that I had it done when I did....

Way to go Protimenow. Ignorance can be bliss.....and, like you, I'm glad that my docs made the BIG decisions regarding this surgery. I hope you stay around this forum for a long time.

Live long and prosper

I wonder if we should start a crocodile club (thinking of peter pan and the ticking crocodile)

:)

Thanks to all.

It's rather interesting that Pellicle said 'Live Long and Prosper.' Leonard Nimoy got that hand gesture at a Yom Kippur service, many years ago. Last night, they were teaching some people how to do it...

Yes, Dick, I guess that it WAS easier back then. My choices were tissue or mechanical. At my age, mechanical was the only choice. Beyond that, I left it up to my surgeon to decide. (And there weren't a lot of surgeons doing AVRs back then, so my choices were even more limited).

I think that this valve probably has a lifetime guarantee -- I won't be around to ask for my money back....

Protime,

Congratulations! And thanks for all your testing and research into INR testing. You have had, what I consider to be a, positive influence on me and many others in the forum.

Thanks, everyone.

One of my ultimate goals is to see the day when everyone who is taking warfarin can be regularly tested, regardless of income, so that their INRs can ALWAYS be in range. Personally, I spent the first 17 years post-op with inadequate, and sometimes, complete lack of testing. Some of this was because my doctors just didn't care about monitoring my INR, and some was because I 'thought' that I could 'feel' when my INR was out of range,' and some was because I simply had no insurance, no doctor, and no practical way to test. Plus, I was ignorant about how important frequent testing was. I was lucky. Aside from a 'wart' on my face that just happened to disappear once I started testing and my warfarin dose was increased (this 'wart' was probably a clot ON MY FACE that dissolved when my anticoagulation was in range), I was very, very, very lucky not to have a stroke or major hemorrhagic issue. My goal is to see that regular testing (now that it's relatively inexpensive and meters are available) is available to all.

I'm happy to share my personal experiences. I hope that they can help others navigate through the anticoagulation experience. I hope that my search for the most accurate test method (testing meters against each other and against the labs) can also be helpful.

Again - thanks for the kind words.

Congrats on 22 years. Since I am just 3 months post op, I have read all you have posted about inr testing etc. and appreciate all of your knowledge and experience. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back