2 year Valve and Root / 3 year Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgurevitch

Hello VR Friends,

It has been quite a while since I have posted anything.

I just had my 2 year anniversary of my Aortic Valve and Root replacement (July 12, 2010) and my 3 year anniversary of my orignal Aortic Valve Replacement Surgery (July 8, 2009).

I am a 46 year old female living in Atlanta, GA.

My story (readers digest version) is that sometime during 2001 I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic (leaky) valve. At the time my cardiologist told me I would have to the valve replaced "at some point in the future". Long story short, on July 8, 2009 I underwent successful Aortic Valve Replacement surgery (Emory University Hospital in Atlanta GA - Dr. Edward Chen). At that time, the surgeon told us that in addition to the common bicuspid aortic valve defect, I also had a (very rare) defect in my aortic root which was not known before my surgery. At that time he was not prepared to replace the aortic root so he used a (pig) valve that was a pretty good (but not perfect) fit. He told us that we would have to "keep an eye on it" because they really did not know what would happen. About 6 months after my 1st surgery it became apparent that the new valve was still leaking and would need to be replaced, this time with a new (synthetic) root. So, exactly 1 year and 4 days after my 1st surgery, I went in for my 2nd surgery (same hospital, same surgeon).

I am happy to report that I feel great and am leading a normal, healthy life.

Liz Gurevitch

Which brand valve did you get that second time? And, by the way, CONGRATS Keep on ticking and enjoying your life.

Latest posts

Back