2 days post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can leave tomorrow as long as I have a bm. I have tried everything short of a supposatory. So everyone cross you fingers. I really want to get out of here and have a full nights sleep.

Take the suppository...... it's worth it. That's what I had to do in order to leave.

Happy you are doing so well they are ready to let you leave.
Considering all you suffered pre surgery, you're doing great.

Reading all your posts I see you have been through a lot leading up to this Michelle. I'm sending you my thoughts and prayers for speedy recovery. Just think you've got that nice new electric recliner at home waiting on you. I'll bet you get some good use of that. I know how hard the smoking is too. Hope now that you've got a start on getting off you can keep it up. I still chew nicotine gum to this day and have for years -embarrassed to admit that. My cardio is just fine with that though and so I'm not going to worry about it too much until he does.

All the best to you!

The BM was my problem for leaving but they finally realized I hadn't eaten enough solid food to have one...after the suppository! I thought I was going to be there forever waiting.

OMG! You're going HOME already????? WOW!
Take the durned suppository. If that were all it took to get me home the first time, I'd have taken one gladly....come to think of it, with all the morphine and two surgeries, I'd have taken one in any event, had it been offered.

I was discharged today but I guess I'm still on the hospital sleeping schedule. I can stay asleep for more than two hours. So I'm up in the middle of the night in a hotel room trying to stay relaxed. I've been on edge since out of surgery about each blood draw, tubes being removed, wires being removed etc. I think I went into it too calm and cool, trying to be tough, that I never grasped how traumatic this is physically or emotionally. I am glad it is behind me and considering they went through my sternum I'm on a path of speedy recovery. Now I need to scroll through the forums for the weird unexpected stuff that I can't get clear answers on.

Michelle it think it took 3 weeks post op before I had a decent night's rest. Just could not sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a stretch. Hang in there it gets better all the time. I can relate to the anxiety, are you all alone in the hotel room or is there somebody to look after you? Johan

Michelle, I too had issues sleeping many nights of sleeping upright leaning up against a pillow because I couldn't get comfortable. But no worries sleep is much better now and you too will eventually find a decent sleeping pattern.. hang in there. Hugs

Michelle:

This is familiar. My operation went very well, but I was unusually apprehensive about every little thing afterwards and did not sleep more than a few hours total in the first week. I needed an antianxiety med for the first time in my life, but it worked. After going home, I needed it a few more times before I could go to sleep without it, but by the end of the 2nd week post-op, I was much better and sleeping fairly normally. Since then, I still pay a lot more attention to normal aches and pains than I did before, as if they might mean something more serious, but they haven't and I am basically very well, as you will be. Try to relax, ask for something to help calm your nerves if you need it.

Bill

My husband and I are staying in a hotel near by the Cleveland clinic just to make sure I don't have problems before I fly back home. I guess I really never sleep well anywhere besides home. I'm kind of obsessed with not getting an infection in my femural artery incesion, they ended up not using it but with the inside out stitching and where it's at worries me. I also just noticed today that my throat is pretty sore. I'm pretty sure it was from the breathing tubes. Little things worry me. But the good news is I feel a million times better than yesterday. I feel about 95% of my pre-surgery self. I think by the time I get home Tuesday I'll feel just pretty good, maybe just scabby and without the use of my arms for lifting but as I lay here now I'm not sore other than my throat and my head seems to have cleared up considerably.

If you're at 95% of pre-op status already, you are going to be amazed at how good you feel in another couple of months.

Michelle

Glad to hear things are feeling better. I hope you continue to feel better each day. I never slept more than a couple hours at a time when I had my hip replacmenet. I assume it will be the same with my AVR. Think that is pretty usual. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be following your path a week from Monday. Good Luck. Pat

Latest posts

Back