2 and a half months after surgery... palpitations are back

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chele

I havent been on for awhile .....
I got my mitral valve repaired 2 and a half months ago, and everything for the most part went smoothly. However last week started noticing palpitations once again. Is this something i should be concerned with?

BTW, I take 5mg lisonopril and 25 mgs Metropolol daily. (And drink caffeine free soda)

Thanks for any advice

Hi Chele, as always ask your doctor if you yourself are concerned. That being said, this is absolutely normal after heart surgery. I remember after my surgery i wanted so badly to never have those pesky palps again, but they came back. When my body started to fully recovery, they came fewer and farther between. I still have them from time to time, but barely notice them now.

Fairly common this soon after surgery. Anytime you are concerned, see your doctor, if for no other reason peace of mind. Stress and worry can trigger this in some as well ... peace out:cool2:

Yeah, definitely ask your doctor. You're probably about due for your 3 month post-op visit?

Knowing how hot it's been back east makes me wonder if your minerals could be out of balance, which your cardio may want to check, because this can lead to arrhythmias. Also, some medications, even heart R/x can also contribute to mineral imbalance.

Hoping you're fine; take care :)

A little over a year ago I had ny Mitral Valve repaired. I noticed I still shad Palps. I questioned my Cardio. He said I told you before surgery it was
doubtful the Palps would ever go away. I take 1 Toporol XL25 a day and if I have a lot of Palps I take another half a pill. My doctor says the
palps are nothingand not mto worry about them. I trust my Cardio but I still worry about the palps. I also had a PFO Fixed during surgery.
I was hoping it would help my migraines but it did not. I had so many Ocular Migraines for months after surgery. We took a big chance having
open heart surgery. We are fortunate to have this option. We are strong all of us. 30 40 years ago we would not have had this option. See your Doctor and discuss
the palps. That is very important

I havent been on for awhile .....
I got my mitral valve repaired 2 and a half months ago, and everything for the most part went smoothly. However last week started noticing palpitations once again. Is this something i should be concerned with?

BTW, I take 5mg lisonopril and 25 mgs Metropolol daily. (And drink caffeine free soda)

Thanks for any advice

I hope they are nothing and just due to a long tiring day, or some anxiety. How is your blood work?
If you have anemia due to surgery, anemia could trigger palpitations.

I am not a doctor, but I think it will be wise to keep a record of:

- When you feel them...during the day, when relaxing, sleeping, at wake up, running, etc.
- for how long do they stay and if they affect your functioning?
- what is your heart rate at the time of palpitations?
- do you have other symptoms suh as SOBs, vision changes, dizziness ...

I hope yours are just a matter of your heart readjusting after the surgery. But, if you feel light-headed or dizzy when you have them and your heart rate is over 100, it is wise to check with you doctor.

Keep us posted. :)

I am 15 wks post surgery and am having some pvc's--did before surgery. They seemed better after surgery but seem to be getting more frequent. But the most recent concern is--after my cardiac rehab yesterday, the RN? said I was having extended periods of QRS complex? She said she was going to send the info to my cardiologist. I'm not sure if I should be anxious about it or not. I did some on line research and still don't know. Has anyone else experienced this? I've also been having more frequent periods of really fast heartbeat.

Quote by mecretired:

I am 15 wks post surgery and am having some pvc's--did before surgery. They seemed better after surgery but seem to be getting more frequent. But the most recent concern is--after my cardiac rehab yesterday, the RN? said I was having extended periods of QRS complex? She said she was going to send the info to my cardiologist. I'm not sure if I should be anxious about it or not. I did some on line research and still don't know. Has anyone else experienced this? I've also been having more frequent periods of really fast heartbeat.

Unquote

I tried to look u QRS as it aroused my curiousity and I found from what I read that this could be due to "propafenone" toxicity!! "Propafenone toxicity can cause significant QRS widening and markedly abnormal ventricular activation pattern"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17725763

Are you takig any medications for arrythmia? here is the link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001020

I am baffled like you. I am sure someone knows more about it and will chime in later.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
I do not know anything about QRS. Sorry mecrdited !! Howevermy palps continued all day Monday i took my pulse and realized my heart was skipping a beat, Hubby urged me to call doc and i did so tuesday went in for ekg and the nurse definately saw some PVc's. But waiting for Dr to get back to me. Also had a Holter moniter so still waiting for the results.

I just know these things drive me nuts . I guess i assumed when the doc's said surgery would make me good as new i would not have these and even some day get off meds...

So it is all making me feel real bummed cause some of the time i feel worse than before.

Thanks for your help,

Micchele

Justin has a long QRS over 180, but all I know about it are for people that have right side problems, not left

Your heart is still healing at 2.5 months. It is going to take some more time for things to settle down, if they are going to. Most Dr's are not going to want to treat these, they are considered benign. Unfortunately, they can make you feel pretty crappy. I don't know if you are currently taking a beta blocker or some other cardiac drugs, but if you are, a slight increase might be all you need to knock them out. Also, I seemed to experience a huge increase in them at night, when it was time to go to sleep. I found that xanax would almost always quiet them and while I'm not suggesting you start gulping down the xanax (or any of the drugs in this class), it is helpful when you just need to get some sleep. I hope your Dr. gets back in touch with you for a solution. Until then, hang in there.

Kim

Pvc's are very frustrating.I have them but, not as bad as before surgery. I take a potassium and magnesium tab with my multiple vit. everyday and it helps.Also exercise almost always helps.I know
exercise is the last thing you want to do when your having them but, it generally helps.(treadmill) Also make sure you are hydrated as a Dr. has told me dehyration (or some degree of) can make them worse.And of course stress brings them on stronger.The exercise will reduce the stress.

Hi Michele,

If they are PVCs they are very common even if you have no heart problems at all. I've had them for years and they went away for a while and now about 4 weeks after surgery mine have become more frequent than before. They are not dangerous. Stress, fatigue, smoking, and caffiene make them worse. You may also want to get a CBC and make sure your minerals are good.

I have only had occasional palpitations since surgery, brought on by anxiety or exercise. Talk to your doctor / cardiologist but I would highly recommend taking at least 400mg of magnesium a day. As far as I know it has no interactions with other medications and the only negative side effect can be loose bowel movements, in which case you decrease the dose. It works really well for anxiety too and one of the signs of magnesium deficiency is chronic anxietyBenefits can include better stress management, lower levels of anxiety, better quality of sleep (big one), less palpitations, less muscle cramps and tight muscles and less migraines / headaches. It is a must for me.

Latest posts

Back