11 days post-op!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel

Here I sis, 11 days post-op!! Now if I could just get rid of those stupid "blues" that come around some of us!!!!! ugh! Mine started yesterday and seeped over into today as well! I went ahead and took 2 lorazapams to hopefully nip that! I feel so depressed and cry at nothing. I'm sure so many of you here can relate to that! It's so crazy hot here, I can't get outside like I would LOVE to do and walk, sit in the yard, enjoy the squirrels and birds, etc. But, anyway, that's ok, the rest of this day is going to be a better day!! I seem to be doing well. I have my follow-up with my surgeon tomorrow late afternoon. I have the oh soooo tired and worn out feeling a lot, but I just rest, rest, rest. I'm trying my best to walk early mornings and late evening when it's cooler. I missed my early morning today, slept right through it! lol. Gonna be stumbling through the house a bit today I guess! I've really lowered my loratab! I'm only taking 1 pill now instead of 2 and the hours are spread out anywhere from 5-7 hours, which is a great improvement for me. Well have a great day everyone, I pray you're all doing just GREAT!!!

Angel im sorry you have the blues. Some people do feel down after this surgery, but as Andy said, things will get better each day as you feel better and stronger. I know what you mean about the heat. Its 90 degrees here at the moment, and that's why i do my walk at about 7am when its still relatively cooler. I hope you have AC so you can rest your body in the coolness and not be so aggravated by the heat. I know its draining. I also have myasthenia gravis and the heat and really wreak havoc on me. But keep that chin up and keep smiling like Andy in all his pics. You can tell by looking at him that he loves life so here's wishing his attitude is contagious. Keep us posted and write us here if you ever need some cheering up....Warm Heart Hugs and love ...Michael

Angel, with the heat possibly inhibiting your walking, is there a chance you could take cardio rehab classes? I didn't take them but have read many positive things about them, here on the site. The exercise should improve your outlook.

BTW, I have empathy for your feelings and remember having a couple of post-op blue days also. In fact, there were some brief days that I just felt disappointed with myself because of the necessity of the surgery but I turned that around by considering that there are many more common surgeries that many people need to live, including C-sections and appendectomies. I don't know if that is helpful, but that logic worked for me.

Besides the possible med issue, might you also be a bit bored? My surgeon told me I couldn't drive for eight weeks. So, the first day I was out and about running errands, driving again, was a pleasant taste of freedom again. Meanwhile, maybe you need something fun and creative to do?

Anyway, hang in there; it should pass soon. Take care :)

Hang in the blues will get better. I had them from day 1 and getting better . I don't cry over commercials anymore lol, but still cry over corny shows like Little House on the Praire.
It's been hot here too and miss my walks , just rattle around the house with the ac on. Time will go quick and everyday you'll feel a little better . Hard to believe it's 8 weeks for me on this side and if you told me at 11 days I would be feeling good I would have cried "no I won't" :frown2:.
If you can try to keep busy , my daughter and I cleaned out all the kitchen cabinets and some dresser drawers. I supervised and she tossed . Take one day at a time.

Heal well.

Mike puppy pictures are always nice :thumbup:

Before my AVR, my family Doctor recommended that I start taking an anti-depressant. Her concern was that for some people (especially, those with a history of depression) heart surgery is likely to trigger depression during recovery. There is a lot of debate about why this should be and I don't think anyone has really figured it out. Needless-to-say, this doesn't help when one is trying to recover and get back to a regular schedule. The blues happen to us all but if the feeling persists, talk to your Doctor about it.

Larry

Depression is very common after heart surgery. I hadn't seen my therapist for a couple years and went back to her before surgery, to ward off any nonsense. Lorazepam is an anti-anxiety med, not an antidepressant, and depression can be a side effect of lorazepam, so don't count on it to help with the blues.

You may also have the kind of emotional weepies that I had when I got home. They weren't sad, but were power-packed with feeling, mostly of being grateful, but, it is a bit odd to be crying and telling your best friend you're not sad, that you're just so <sniffle> grateful to be home <sniffle> and alive <pass the Kleenex, please!>.

Angel, you're still a baby chick on the healing timetable. You've still fresh and a little wobbly from pecking your way out of the egg, so take it easy.

As the others have said some degree of emotion or depression is common.I was never a very emotional before sugery but, I had some moments after and thought "what was that all about?"
Your thinking I just survived this big ordeal so why would I feel like this? Makes no rational sense.Must be the bodies reaction and release from the trama.It will get better soon.Your doing
great.Dont sweat it.

Blues?

Blues?

Watch the "Blues" thing! I had a serious bout with post-traumatic stress disorder about a month or so post-op. This happened despite having a pretty easy ride through recovery and rehab. According to my cardiologist, depression stuff is common for OHS patients after they come through surgery.

It can really get bad. I realized I had a major problem one night when I found myself seriously wanting to kill myself. I didn't even know why I wanted to do that. My wife talked me through it and I got on meds the next day... even with the meds, it was still hard.

-Philip

Latest posts

Back