100% home testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went in today for my 18th Echo since AVR. Doctor came right in after his wife completed the Echo. Gave me the great news that the old valve is still performing perfect.

I had been getting my INR tested at his office once a month. He gave his OK to full home testing. So I don't go back to his office until next January. :D

That is really good news - Ross is right...celebration time!!

Congrats. I wish I could test at home but cannot afford the co-payments. I am at 4.4 today after me telling them two weeks ago to cut 2.5 mg from my weekly dosage. Of course they know all.

Good luck to you & don't forget the online coumadine dosing calculator Ross put on the Anti-coagulation forum.

Dayton, I send you my congratulations, plus a pat on the back.
Count your blessings that your Doc is still talking to you in regards of a monitor. Haven't heard from mine for about a month now, INR has been on a roller coaster ride and haven't heard a peep from her (she's against home monitoring). The real kicker is that what my doctor doesn't know, is that I haven't filled the prescription yet and I'm getting the cold shoulder :(
In any case, congrats and have fun with your new toy:)

Thanks all!
I'm 18 years late but wouldn't be home testing today had it not been for Ross.

Freddie, sorry about he way your doctor feels. Maybe she will come around soon.
Mine didn't have a problem with home testing when I first started back in February. But I was thinking he would still want one test a month at his lab. As he left the room, he said, "well, you know the control, if you need me you know where I am." He still thinks it's unnecessary to do weekly testing.

Olefin you don't have to do weekly testing. If your more comfortable with 2 weeks or even one month, that would be fine. Medicare simply states that they will not pay for more then once per week. They never mandated that it had to be done once a week.

For me, I cannot go a whole month. 2 weeks tops. Usually by then, I'm going out of range one way or the other.

Thanks all!
I'm 18 years late but wouldn't be home testing today had it not been for Ross.

Freddie, sorry about he way your doctor feels. Maybe she will come around soon.
Mine didn't have a problem with home testing when I first started back in February. But I was thinking he would still want one test a month at his lab. As he left the room, he said, "well, you know the control, if you need me you know where I am." He still thinks it's unnecessary to do weekly testing.

Congratulations,easier days are here for you
BTW i'm 16 years late so join the club either way;)

zipper2(DEB)

Ross, I don't always test weekly but it's sure great to be able to when I need it. I've always though a month was too long for me for my INR has always jumped around. Sometimes I'd request my Cardiologist do an extra test... so good I don't have to do that any more.

Deb, we were up in your area last September. Flew to Calgary to take in the Canadian Rockies. Loved those Rockies!! This fall we will board a cruise ship at Quebec City for cruising Canada's coast, Newfoundland and our east coast. Looking forward to seeing Newfoundland again for I was station there two years in the 50's.

Great, another Doctor has seen the light. It's such a comfort to be able to test every 2 weeks without leaving home.

And a cruise from Quebec up the St. Lawrence.....bring binoculars to spot whales.
Got a pocket sized English/French dictionary?

Congrats, Dayton--much better late than never!

I feel really lucky to be surrounded by doctors and a clinic that encourage home testing. My surgeon brought it up in my post-op consult. The tech at my clinic told me yesterday that I'd be able to apply in two months, because I've been therapeutic for at least a month already. I don't mind going in, but once I start teaching again, my schedule is going to make it harder to make the 30 mile round-trip drive (through major highway construction)--so I'm going to be one happy camper when I get my magic little machine. And I won't have to wait 18 years for it!

Good on ya.

Latest posts

Back