10 days post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat45750

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I think the mack truck parked on top of me. The a-fib is under control for now with coumadin and amiodren plus some other stuff. I have no energy. I am finally falling asleep for a few hours at a time and then move or eat - then back to the chair to rest. I am on tramodal for pain - more stiffness than real pain. I am sleeping in the recliner. The bed is just not comfortable.

I am lucky to have several good freinds. One stays with me at night, the others help with the dogs and get me out for a short walk into a resturant.

I can't believe how bad this surgery is compared to my hip resurfacing. I was able to pretty good periods of activity in between the naps. With this, I can hardly get out of the chair. I think thinks will get better.

I stayed in the hospital 8 days, was released Monday afternoon. Instead of staying in Cleveland they suggest we drive home. I am having my inr tested Friday. I have to go back to Cleveland for a Tuesday appointment.

I can't find one bad thing to say about the Cleveland Clinic. Loved the private room. The food - I really can't tell since I am tasting well. I ate a lot of fresh fruit in the hospital. That's the only thing that tasted good.

I don't have much staying power, so I will update again.

Pat

Hi Pat, the pain will get better I promise. Today I went 14 hours without any pain meds or pain. I'm 3 weeks and 2 days. Wasn't the surgery terrible? We went in prepared for the surgery itself but not the aftermath. Just stay strong, hopefully you don't get any other complications. I kind of wish I went into a-fib in Cleveland, it's really hard when you finally have a good day and then wham some stupid complication. But from where you are at now, and having a-fib under control things should only get better for you. This is where we have to be mentally strong no matter how weak our bodies are.

Pat, how good to see you back at home! The best is yet to come! So much of the discomfort you feel is from the way they position you on the OR table rather than the surgery itself. That is very special that you have a friend stay with your at night. One of these nights you'll want to try out the bed with lots of pillows so you can find a comfortable position. Did they give you a heart pillow to hug? I pray you'll have a smooth recovery.

Blessings, Barb

Pat, you are only 10 days out from a huge trama to your body. It is going to take much longer than 10 days to get more umph! Don't worry too much about eating, just eat enough to keep your strength up. Believe me, your appetite will catch back up with you before you know it. Hang in there, I promise, it does get better.

I had alot of trouble sleeping too. That compounds being tired and weak. You hit your speed bump (a-fib) and will now start feeling better alittle everyday.Sounds like you are right on track
to a good recovery.Yea it is a tough surgery and it will take some time to get over.The worst part is behind you.I noticed the most improvement at 3 days and then 2 weeks.You are closing
in on 2 weeks now.Hang in there!

I've had major surgery before, but nothing compares to, and nothing can prepare you for, how difficult this is. You just don't know it until you go through it. The worst part is over. Glad you have help at home, especially with the dogs and hope they're lovin' up their mama not that she's home.
Take care and take it easy!

Pat, I am post-op 2 weeks and 5 days and was in the hospital 12 days. The hospital stay was almost twice as long as I thought it was going to be. I still feel like I have been hit by a Mack truck and backed over a couple of times. But every day is a little bit better. Have to remember recovery is not a straight path - there will be ups and downs. I keep telling myself this. I also keep telling myself that I have been given the gift of my life by finding this and by having great surgeons that could correct my problem. It is a fluke that I even found out that I had heart problems. They found the large aneurysm on the heels of another routine procedure that had slight complications. (Only 2 months ago) From there I found I had a bicuspid valve and from there I found that my root needed to be replaced (Found out one month ago). After my surgery, they told me that valve was way worse than what they thought and that it was in severe failure. So I guess what I am saying is that we have to keep looking forward and counting our blessings that we have had the opportunity to have our problems corrected. Although it is extremely painful and difficult what we are going through right now, it is all necessary to get back to living a long, happy, and healthy life. I keep telling myself this over and over in an effort to keep moving forward (The beating of my valve is driving me slightly bananas). I am truly thankful that I have this site where we can share and encourage one another. I could not have done it without all of you.

Pat, so glad you are home. Sorry about the a-fib. It nailed me too after my surgery and a lot of times it just goes away on its own. Get plenty of rest and soon you will feel better... Daren

Pat, Laura, Cheri, Michelle............!!!

Pat, Laura, Cheri, Michelle............!!!

I tried to focus on the week after surgery and then the week after that one and then the next week. It's a slow process and sometimes very painful, but we get through it somehow. I know it's so difficult right now and you just feel sapped at times. Just remember to rest when you're tired..! That is so important to take small steps into big steps toward recovery.

I know how weak you feel right now. That was my biggest surprise post surgery, but like everything else - it does get better.

One day at a time sweet Jesus.....just sing it to yourself and know that all of us here are thinking about you, know how you feel and have been in your shoes. Big hugs to all you gals..!!:thumbup:

10 days post-op was rough; I was in the middle of the A-fib/A-flutter. It will get better. I was in a recliner for a couple of weeks and for awhile everything tasted pretty much like my hospital sheets smelled -- just ick :eek2: I thoughtOHS was a pretty rough ordeal too. BTW, did they give you a spirometer? If so, stick with those exercises until they tell you otherwise. Also, did they give you any stretching exercises? If so, do those as and when instructed. It will all get better, bit by bit. By three weeks, I was feeling pretty good and by 5 weeks I was feeling (no, not back to normal for months but) very well. Best wishes :)

Yep, sounds like you're right on schedule. Things should start getting better every day now pretty soon. Like some others, the taste thing hit me too (for me, it was the IV flushes that put a metalic taste in my mouth for a while). And, like others, by the time I was at 3 or 4 wks post op, I didn't really even need the pain meds much any more. But everyone's different. And I do remember still having some significant pain at 10 days from the way they had me on the table (neck/shoulder pain) plus of course my sternum was still pretty sore at that point (don't sneeze!). But it will start getting better real soon!

I am 14 days post op now. I finally lost the dizzyness when getting up this weekend. I still have absolutely no energy to hardly move out of my chair yet. I can feel things are getting better, but very very slowly. I upped my tradadol to 1 1/2 pills since my chest was so sore and hurting. They are trying to get my INR for coumadin up to 2-3 It is only at 1.47 They upped my dosage. So I guess I am on track. I still can't bevlieve how difiiclut this is with no energy. I have hardly been on my computer. Just sleeping in my recliner day and night. Waiting for some more energy.

Pat

Energy will come , but try and walk a little everyday . Sometimes the meds can make you loopy, try using tyenol for one of your dosages of pain meds and see if it gives you a little more pep . It takes time and everyone is different at 2 weeks I started doing washing dishes and supervising cabinet cleaning .
Take it one day at a time

I am 14 days post op now. I finally lost the dizzyness when getting up this weekend. I still have absolutely no energy to hardly move out of my chair yet. I can feel things are getting better, but very very slowly. I upped my tradadol to 1 1/2 pills since my chest was so sore and hurting. They are trying to get my INR for coumadin up to 2-3 It is only at 1.47 They upped my dosage. So I guess I am on track. I still can't bevlieve how difiiclut this is with no energy. I have hardly been on my computer. Just sleeping in my recliner day and night. Waiting for some more energy.

Pat

I know it is very heard to force yourself to do your walks, breathing ect when you don't have energy. Are you making yourself walk a couple times a day, even if you don't want to? (I applogize if there is a reason you can't that I don't remember) Justin always tells people it is hard work to recover, you have to make yourself walk and breath but for HIM, the more he does, (short at first a couple times a day) then he seems to get more energy.

I'm sure the increased tramadol, is making it tougher to have energy too since it can make you tired. IF your chest pain is worse now than it was, have you called the doctor? What kind of chest pain is it? Does your incision look good, or does it seem like it could be muscle pain? Do you do any stretches (Gentle stretches just to loosen things up) I know you live alone, but could you ask one of your friends to rub your neck and back and see if that helps with the pain. Another thing that helps Justin's sore muscles after his surgeries is a shower with warm water on his back (we got one of those hand held things with the different settings after his OHS when he was 10) BUt even just moving around and doing small things help loosen up tight muslces, IF it is muscle related pain.
BUT Pain this far out that is getting worse and needs more pain meds, also COULD be a sign there is a problem and you should really talk to your doctor, just to play it safe. Justin has had everything from pericardial effusions to massive infections in his chest post op, and IF there is a problem the sooner it gets diagnosed the better and it is easier to treat. Have you have a fever or have to noticed any weight gain of a couple pounds from one day to the next?
Are you on lovenox for your INR that is so low?
I hope you start feeling better soon.

Last edited:
Hey Pat! I'm right there with you at 12 days post surgery, but I feel better than i should. That said, the first go round I was in ICU 11 days, hospital additional 5 or 6, and took forever to recover. Every person, every surgery is different. I'm lucky this time, but your experience is perfectly normal.
Do try to walk, get a few gentle back rubs, and reduce one daytime med dose so you'll feel a little more alert, if you can tolerate some mild discomfort.

Hang in there!

At 10 days I was just getting out of the hospital! I barely remember the first few days at home - not much but eat, sleep, breathe. My neighbor started walking with me 5 days after I came home. The friends that stayed with me the first couple of days made me rest.

Now at 4 weeks and 2 days I can't believe the energy I have - so much more than before the surgery! My big problem is doing too much. I've learned that when my body says stop I must stop! I'm also very tentative with lifting anything - want to stay within the 10 pound range. Taking Tylenol on a regular basis, but forgot 2 days ago and was pretty sore still.

You will begin feeling better - just remember what your body went through in surgery and give it a break. Sleep when you need to and take the pain meds so you can walk around. Good luck with everything - you will start feeling better.

Hi All

Actually, every day except today I have walked thru the house to the car and my friend has taken me to lunch. Gets a little walking in and some fresh air. I am suppose to be in Cleveland Tues, but don't think I can make it. I will call the doctor tommorow. I also have walked into my Mom's assisted living facility about 3 times to visit her. I let the dogs out when no one is here. So I am moving, but not fast and not much. The pain is like a barrel in the front of my chest where the surgery was. So stiff and sore at times. No pain when I just sit, but moving is tough at night particulary. That's why I upsed the tradodol for now. Will try some tylonyl. They have me on oxycontin and percoset but it made me sick Ihardly took any pain meds in the hospital since I wasn't moving much. I dont think anyhting unusal is happening, but will talk to the doctors office tomorrow. I sleep all night but in 2 and 3 hours periods. So I think that's good. Still in my recliner with all this stiffness in my chest. Using my breathing device when I can remeber it. I still don't want to be alone at night yet. Hopeflyy, in a few days.

Pat, do they have you doing spirometer exercises? And have they mentioned the possibility of you doing a cardiac rehab class? I was also given a few stretching exercises from my surgeon's office for some of the tightness where my chest was healing. Is that the kind of stiffness you are referring to, surface issues? Hoping you'll be feeling better soon :)

Latest posts

Back