10 days post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear you're having a lot of pain and I wish you had better relief for it as it will help healing. I doubt that Tylenol will do anything for it. I don't know why they call that smaller sternotomy minimally invasive, since all it is smaller and not less painful.

I would call doctor first thing in the morning and see about getting some better meds to control pain. It will make your recovery easier to be in less pain.

Take care!

Hi Pat, I just wanted to tell you that the tramadol made me very very fatigued. I switched to vicodin the day I left the hospital and it helped immensely. I'm at four weeks and I still get pains but not the achy ones like you are describing, most are due to my effusions. But I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder. I think at the 4 week mark you'll feel much better. Use your spirometer a lot if you aren't moving much so you don't get fluid on your lungs, it can happen weeks after surgery. Good luck, I hope you start feeling better.

Hi All

Actually, every day except today I have walked thru the house to the car and my friend has taken me to lunch. Gets a little walking in and some fresh air. I am suppose to be in Cleveland Tues, but don't think I can make it. I will call the doctor tommorow. I also have walked into my Mom's assisted living facility about 3 times to visit her. I let the dogs out when no one is here. So I am moving, but not fast and not much. The pain is like a barrel in the front of my chest where the surgery was. So stiff and sore at times. No pain when I just sit, but moving is tough at night particulary. That's why I upsed the tradodol for now. Will try some tylonyl. They have me on oxycontin and percoset but it made me sick Ihardly took any pain meds in the hospital since I wasn't moving much. I dont think anyhting unusal is happening, but will talk to the doctors office tomorrow. I sleep all night but in 2 and 3 hours periods. So I think that's good. Still in my recliner with all this stiffness in my chest. Using my breathing device when I can remeber it. I still don't want to be alone at night yet. Hopeflyy, in a few days.

I know it hurts to move, especially in the beginning, but some of the stiffness could be from not moving much and spending most of the time sitting in your recliner during the day, it's kind of a catch 22. Also as other have mentioned, you should really be using your spirometer every couple hours, especially if you aren't getting much walking /moving in. Just doing the deep breathing should help with your chest and sternal muscles getting a little more loose and not as stiff.
I don't know what your weather is like, but if you can't get a couple short walks outside each day, just a lap around the outside of your house at first if that is all you can do, Maybe you should try walking around inside the house every few hours. Kind of like they probably had you walking laps around the floor when you were in patient. I know you have hip and maybe other issue that make walking harder, but usually if they didn't think you were ok to walk and get the exercise you need to do to recover, they usually make some kinds of arrangements, like inpatient Rehab or set up PT at home (my Mom had both after her 2 surgeries)
I'm glad you are calling, hopefully if there is a problem that is making your pain worse, they can catch it early and help you feel better. That would be a shame if you couldn't make it to your follow up appt tomorrow, I know you live alone , is it because you might not have a ride?

I had my check up here in Marietta. I just could not do the 3 hour drive to Cleveland, stay over and come back the next day. Everything looks good - incision and one drain hole. They okd me taking extra tramoldol if I need it. Night before and most of yesterday, I did not take any. They had me lay flat on a table for ekg and exam and that did me in today. So sore. I am using my spiro breather thing. They want me to continue with that. No stretches yet. Will do rehab in a few weeks. Dropped my Metropolo since my standing blood pressure was very low. That's why I felt so dizzy. I am also only on amidoneron once a day. Will get a 24 hour heart monitor to wear later in week so they can see what is going on if I should be getting in a fib. Doesn't feel like it. I am moving around, but not a lot. Getting a walk or two in when I can. I know things will get better. Just time and patience. Pat

Pat I am at 6 weeks tomorrow and its amazing once you hit 3 weeks on how fast things start to move for you. Its night and day than the first 3 weeks. At 3 weeks our A/C went out so that forced me OUT of the recliner and into the bed since we had a room ac to put in our bedroom window. Just hang in there, youll notice a difference in about two weeks for certain. I am still taking pain meds but only one right before bed becaue my neck and back still hurt the most. The front only hurts on coughing but not as bad. It still does feel like there is hand underneath my chest though with the way the muscles and bones and such are healing. Hang in there .. It really does get better..

Latest posts

Back