Young(er) newbie going in for surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SB42

Hi,

I am new to this site, but have done my homework in advance. Guess what? I am going in for my aortic valve surgery during the middle of Jan '12. Being told most likely bicuspid because of my age...guess it is not showing up on echo...hard part for me is that this shouldn't happen to "me", an active adult that has played every sport growing up and maintained a relative healthy lifestyle - but I got over that quickly. Murmur to symptoms put me in front of the cardiologist that gave me the news that scared the heck out of me - open heart surgery. After discussing with my surgeon, I have opted for the tissue valve (Bovine from St. Jude) as I can't image being on blood thinners the rest of my life with three young children (6, 3, 1) and an active lifestyle even though I do understand the potential risks with re-op. I have put it in God's hands working through my surgeon to help me through. Funny, it's a catch 22 for me...having kids terrifies me to think of the procedure that I am about to have (thinking graphically), but I am ultimately having the surgery for my children so I can regain my health and continue to be there for them. There's a lot to do - blood work for cath; cath; echo for surgery; bloodwork for surgery; ultrasound for surgery; pre-op and finally the operation - that will certainly make the time fly by but remind me of my anxieties. I am thankful that I put my pride aside and was proactive with my doctors. I am looking forward to a seamless (not literally - LOL) procedure and a speedy recovery. I WILL either enter a Triathlon or bike 100 miles or run a 1/2 to full marathon next year with a reminder (i.e. scar) to how lucky and fortunate I really am. At the same time, I look forward to being a future resource to this site once I have had my surgery through recovery. I know some say misery loves company, but I firmly believe that a positive attidude is contagious! Happy New Year!!

Very respectfully,

SB42

Welcome SB42. The majority of folks on here would agree with you....it shouldn't have happened to us. Stick around, there is a lot help and support amoung our members for anybody new....and scared. My kids were 8 and 6 when I had surgery and it was fun watching them grow to middle aged men with kids.....and grandkids of their own.

welcome sb42 agree with dick, we where all scared when told the news, but the waiting is the worst bit , you sound like a very fit chap so dont worry you soon be chasing the nurses round the ward,

Helloo SB42,
Agree with Neil, waiting is the worst (i no how you feel as im waiting to go in for heart op number 6 any time now) and have been given poor odds, so feeling scared too,
Hope everything goes well for you, will keep you in my thoughts :)
Sarah xxxxxx

Welcome to the site :)

Nice positive post and best wishes :)

Oh, editing to add something that sent me scrambling at nearly the eleventh hour when I'd thought my ducks were all in a row -- so you will be forewarned if you didn't come across this in your research yet -- You will also need to have your teeth cleared for the surgery by your dentist.

Last edited:
U r right on the attitude. My dad used to tell me " agreat attitude is a disease - lets start an epidemic "
As I. Being told & now also believe - we will be fine ! !

Hi SB42 and Welcome. Happy you found us but sorry for the reason.
You have a great attitude and it is important. Most of us agree that waiting is the worst part.

Re: the question about teeth...... Most surgeons require clearance from patient's dentist there is no infection in the mouth before they will operate. They also require NO dental work be done for six months post op as it is a great source of infection to the healing heart. You should see your dentist for a cleaning pre-op and for him to check you don't need any work done. You should check with your cardio and/or surgeon whether to pre-medicate prior to your dental appointment. Many of us take antibiotics before our appointments to protect us from infection from dental bacteria traveling to the heart.

Great attitude!! Looking forward to me is where it is and was when I was in the same boat. I knew I would be alright and would heal well. I pushed a hard as my body, Dr's, and wife would let me. Best wishes your way.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I appreciate the heads up on the teeth, Lily. Neil, I don't think my wife will like the idea of me chasing the nurses, but I will see what I can do - LOL...

For Sarah_Louise: Dear Almighty Lord, please have mercy on Sarah_Louise and give her the comfort and confidence knowing that YOU will be at her side during her 6th heart op. In your name we pray, Amen.

Happy New Year,

SB42

WELCOME to our OHS family..............you are now on the family calander so you will be in our thoughts and prayers that day

Hi,

I am new to this site, but have done my homework in advance. Guess what? I am going in for my aortic valve surgery during the middle of Jan '12. Being told most likely bicuspid because of my age...guess it is not showing up on echo...hard part for me is that this shouldn't happen to "me", an active adult that has played every sport growing up and maintained a relative healthy lifestyle - but I got over that quickly. Murmur to symptoms put me in front of the cardiologist that gave me the news that scared the heck out of me - open heart surgery. After discussing with my surgeon, I have opted for the tissue valve (Bovine from St. Jude) as I can't image being on blood thinners the rest of my life with three young children (6, 3, 1) and an active lifestyle even though I do understand the potential risks with re-op. I have put it in God's hands working through my surgeon to help me through. Funny, it's a catch 22 for me...having kids terrifies me to think of the procedure that I am about to have (thinking graphically), but I am ultimately having the surgery for my children so I can regain my health and continue to be there for them. There's a lot to do - blood work for cath; cath; echo for surgery; bloodwork for surgery; ultrasound for surgery; pre-op and finally the operation - that will certainly make the time fly by but remind me of my anxieties. I am thankful that I put my pride aside and was proactive with my doctors. I am looking forward to a seamless (not literally - LOL) procedure and a speedy recovery. I WILL either enter a Triathlon or bike 100 miles or run a 1/2 to full marathon next year with a reminder (i.e. scar) to how lucky and fortunate I really am. At the same time, I look forward to being a future resource to this site once I have had my surgery through recovery. I know some say misery loves company, but I firmly believe that a positive attidude is contagious! Happy New Year!!

Very respectfully,

SB42

Thanks for thinking of me, Greg. My official surgery date is Jan. 18, 2012!

Best,

SB42

If you are young and fit, you should do great, especially since you have the right attitude. One thing I would suggest is that you get some practice of getting in and out of things like your bed, chairs or your family's car without using your arms, since you'll be limited from doing that in the early part of your recovery. It's much better to try that out before rather than after surgery!

Hi SB42,

Welcome to this site where plenty of support and reasssurance is at hand. I'm 42 years old and I've had 2 rounds of open heart surgery to sort my aortic valve out within the space of 5 years. I now have an On-X valve which should last me for the rest of my life all things being equal. I'm a healthy sportive person like you doing plenty of running and I have a black belt in karate and play field hockey. My bicuspid valve condition was picked up out of the blue during a routine private health check, and yes it is scary. I felt sick with anxiety over this. Please remember though that you have lots of things in your favour: (i) Good physical fitness that makes a huge difference to recovery; (ii) the fact that although this type of surgery is major, it is routine and the risk of any complications is very low, especially for a healthy person like you; (iii) your positive fighting attitude which makes a huge difference too - a lot of this is mind over matter. On my 3rd day after my first operation the nurses were telling me off because I was going up and down the flights of stairs in the hospital to get my cardiovascular fitness going!! Now after my second operation just over a year ago I'm charging up and down the hockey pitch! Absolutely you will do the marathon, I can sense your determination, good for you. Just get in there and now and get it sorted.

Finally, just a bit of food for thought for you: The On-X valve is one of the latest designs of mechanical valves that tolerates a low level of anticoagulation (INR of around 2.0 is OK), and tests are being conducted at present to see if INR levels can be maintained at even lower levels around 1.5 - see the On-X PROACT survey. The valves are also designed to last 100 - 200 years so there would be no re-op for you here. You might want to run this past your cardiologist/surgeon if you haven't already.

Take care

Sensei

Hi,

Very respectfully,

SB42

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I appreciate the heads up on the teeth, Lily. Neil, I don't think my wife will like the idea of me chasing the nurses, but I will see what I can do - LOL...

For Sarah_Louise: Dear Almighty Lord, please have mercy on Sarah_Louise and give her the comfort and confidence knowing that YOU will be at her side during her 6th heart op. In your name we pray, Amen.

Happy New Year,

SB42

Thank you SB42 :)
All the best to you and yours, hope 2012 is a good year for you!
Love Sarah xxxxxxxx

Hello SB42, welcome to the board, you will find this place filled with so many great people and resources. I am 32 years old and I just had my aortic valve and root placed on Dec. 16th. I am feeling surprisingly great! Please feel free to send me a message if there are any questions you have. Where are you getting it done?

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for reaching out...I am in Northern VA...we are apparently close. I am having my procedure performed by Dr. John Garrett at the Virginia Hospital Center (Arlington, VA). Please feel free to send me your contact info (email; etc.) and let's connect. Take care of your young ones!

Happy New Year,

Scott

Hi Scott,
I completely get where your coming from regarding the kids. You did a great job putting into words exactly what I have been feeling...doing it for the kids but more afraid because of the kids. I am the mother of a 3 year old daughter and am scheduled for Mitral Valve Repair on Feb 28. I have had a leaky valve since I was about 7, so I've known in the back of my head that this day would come, but I've been asymptomatic and there have been no changes for so long that I guess I sort of thought I still had lots of time. I am not very active (maybe a symptom??...but I just blamed it on getting older and having a toddler), but I'm hoping I will be after the surgery! not promising a marathon, but maybe I'll try to run the 5K instead of walking it next year. I have immense confidence in my surgeon and, like you, the best incentive ever to get well quickly. Forget about chasing the nurses...chasing those little ones should jump start the rehab process nicely.
-Lisa

Hello SB42, welcome to the board, you will find this place filled with so many great people and resources. I am 32 years old and I just had my aortic valve and root placed on Dec. 16th. I am feeling surprisingly great! Please feel free to send me a message if there are any questions you have. Where are you getting it done?

Jeff

Jeff,
I love hearIng that you are doing so well after less than 2 weeks! I want to be just like you :)
Lisa

Back