Young(er) newbie going in for surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff,
I love hearIng that you are doing so well after less than 2 weeks! I want to be just like you :)
Lisa

You probably will be like Jeff, because you are going to be considered as a youth in the cardiac unit. I was 51 when I went in, and the nurses called me a spring chicken. They said the recovery was much easier if you didn't have any other underlying medical problems, which seems to be the case for a lot of the valve repair/replacements. I guess that's because of how well the doctors monitor you, and they make sure you get your surgery before things get really bad. You'll be surprised at how some of the things you attributed to just getting older will disappear after you recover from your surgery.

You probably will be like Jeff, because you are going to be considered as a youth in the cardiac unit. I was 51 when I went in, and the nurses called me a spring chicken. They said the recovery was much easier if you didn't have any other underlying medical problems, which seems to be the case for a lot of the valve repair/replacements. I guess that's because of how well the doctors monitor you, and they make sure you get your surgery before things get really bad. You'll be surprised at how some of the things you attributed to just getting older will disappear after you recover from your surgery.

Thanks! These posts are so encouraging...especially from someone who had the EXACT surgery I m scheduled for. The only "medical"condition I have that has me concerned is a sensitivity to many medications. My biggest concern is that the medication they give me post-op will make me sick, and that can't possibly be any good for a healing incision.

Thanks! These posts are so encouraging...especially from someone who had the EXACT surgery I m scheduled for. The only "medical"condition I have that has me concerned is a sensitivity to many medications. My biggest concern is that the medication they give me post-op will make me sick, and that can't possibly be any good for a healing incision.

Discuss your concerns about your sensitivity to medications with the surgeon/hospital team before hand. They have had a lot of practice with dealing with all the issues surrounding recovery. If they are aware of your concerns, they can address them. And I'm convinced that having a good attitude heading in to the procedure is going to help your recovery immensely. A focus on getting better so you can see your Izzy grow up (similar to my focus on my daughter in my avatar) will remind you that any bumps in your recovery will be worth it.

Lily. What's this about the teeth ?? Huh ??
Nancy jane and SB42 -- It's a note from the dentist saying your teeth are healthy and all in good and tight. Loose, chipped, or unhealthy teeth or ditto-with-caps can be a real problem with the vent tube.

Last edited:
Thanks, Lily..

So, I recently read a post of someone (sorry I forget who since I can't find the post) who watched an AVR surgery a few weeks/months after his post-op. This intriqued me, so I actually found a great video of a 3rd generation tissue valve replacement surgery on line performed by Dr. Ott while Dr. Cooley (both from Texas Heart Institute) added questions and commentary during the procedure. For me, this was very helpful to truly understand what I will be facing January 18, 2012. As graph ic as it was, I am very much at ease (more so then before) to see how easy skilled surgeons can make, in my mind, a very difficult surgery look. I am NOT recommending that everyone go out and watch a video of the procedure that you are about to have / or have had, but for me, because I am intriqued by what surgeons can do (my father-in-law and good friend are both orthopedic surgeons), it has relaxed many of my anxieties (like seeing the heart actually stopped and then started again)...My intention is not to offend anyone, but I thought it was pretty cool to see...

Thanks lily for the teeth info. I'm gearing up for my 30 day count down. Ave feb 9 Just went Dds a week or so ago. So that's one thing to check off the list

I am curious every one - exactly what pre op can I expect?? - My last echo was September - they don't need another one do they ? Surgeon is doing cath day before - so its easier on all - & if I do need by pass ( hope not ) I won't have a lot of time. To worry about it.

So. What other stuff gets done pre op. ?? ( and sorry of this is in wrong thread ). Happy new year all !

Nancy.

Thanks, Lily..

So, I recently read a post of someone (sorry I forget who since I can't find the post) who watched an AVR surgery a few weeks/months after his post-op. This intriqued me, so I actually found a great video of a 3rd generation tissue valve replacement surgery on line performed by Dr. Ott while Dr. Cooley (both from Texas Heart Institute) added questions and commentary during the procedure. For me, this was very helpful to truly understand what I will be facing January 18, 2012. As graph ic as it was, I am very much at ease (more so then before) to see how easy skilled surgeons can make, in my mind, a very difficult surgery look. I am NOT recommending that everyone go out and watch a video of the procedure that you are about to have / or have had, but for me, because I am intriqued by what surgeons can do (my father-in-law and good friend are both orthopedic surgeons), it has relaxed many of my anxieties (like seeing the heart actually stopped and then started again)...My intention is not to offend anyone, but I thought it was pretty cool to see...

Its amazing how talented these surgeons are, and I can understand why they have so many years of training. And yes some people find the videos give them more confidence they will do well when they see how relatively calm and routine the whole thing is, while others probably would do much better not watching them until after their surgery ..if ever.. Luckily most people know which catagory they would probably fall into so wont watch them ifthey think it will give them even more things to worry about :)

Funny you replied to Lily about that video, i'm pretty sure Cooley did her first surgery when she was a teen

Thanks lily for the teeth info. I'm gearing up for my 30 day count down. Ave feb 9 Just went Dds a week or so ago. So that's one thing to check off the list

I am curious every one - exactly what pre op can I expect?? - My last echo was September - they don't need another one do they ? Surgeon is doing cath day before - so its easier on all - & if I do need by pass ( hope not ) I won't have a lot of time. To worry about it.

So. What other stuff gets done pre op. ?? ( and sorry of this is in wrong thread ). Happy new year all !

Nancy.

you might want to start your own thread asking this if this doesnt help, but here is one with what you are looking for http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?35330-Preop-information&highlight=xray

Bingo lyn. As usual. Thx so much. I see what s pretty common - am wondering when they
call to schedule it all. I guess I'll be my old proactive self and call them next week to hear / see what's what. Happy new year. ! Nancy

This site has been a true blessing! What a small world...JeffF, who previously replied, and I literally live within a couple of miles of one another...We are close in age, younger than the average, in having the AVR procedure and both have young families...Jeff has been gracious enough to meet with me prior to my procedure....I am looking forward to it, knowing that there are others out there that have been through this....Thank you, valvereplacement.org! Jeff, I will catch up with you tomorrow or on Monday...can't wait to swap stories, once I have one to swap - LOL

SB42, welcome, I too am new and am awaiting an AVR.

I wanted to comment on what you said right above this.

I too watched a video, actually every video I could/can find of my procedure and it too eased my nerve. Though still nervous it was incredible to see how it was done, how precise they were and knew exactly what they were looking for, and doing like there was nothing to it.

I personally chose to watch it before my surgery because I felt like I deserved to know what was being done to me other than told in words.

Thought I was a fool, and yes it's not for the faint of *HEART* :) its not as terrible looking as it sounds.

I'm still very nervous though, cool to see you in good spirit.

Best of luck!

Welcome Scott, It's good to have that positive attitude going into this . When ya think at where the medical field is at today they really do have the heart down . It has become such a common operation these days , simply amazing what can be done to keep us all around longer.
I tried to watch the operation, before and after my own procedure....nada for me.

Brad

Hi Lyn,

The Dr. Cooley that I was referring to is a "he." Sorry for any confusion...If you are someone that is interested in a video of valve replacement surgery, here is the link to the video that I watched - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6218906821548692571# - please watch at your own discrestion.

Keep the faith,

SB42

I know Cooley is a man, however Lily who had HER sugery as a teen is a female

Latest posts

Back