Yes, I'm still around

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Stephens

I'm long-overdue for checkin here. Life has kept me busy for the last couple of years; lost my job and finally got rehired. Not something I want to repeat!

Healthwise, the 2 mechanicals are still clicking along, and pacemaker is pacing away. Looks like I'll need another one in about 3 years when the battery goes into the "red zone." My biggest issue right now is an unexplained bout of anemia - so serious that I had to have a transfusion during the summer. They saw evidence of some ulcer activity on one of many scopings, probings, scans, barium swallows, tilt table tests, blah blah blah.

Overall, feeling pretty good, and glad that the heart status is stable for the moment.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Heeeeeeere's JOHNNY! Been awhile, Johnny. So good to see you and learn that you are doing well. Tks for checking in as we all 'need to know' that our buddies are ok. Blessins..........

Johnny - Great to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your experiences in the working (or not) world. Unfortunately so many are going through rough times. . . but I'm glad you've come out in one piece.

Glad to hear that you are still 'ticking' Johnny !

Did you have a blood test to check for Hemolysis (damage to red blood cells)?

I'd be interested to know if that could be a factor in your anemia.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Johnny ... good to see you ... sorry about the job, been through that ... I had anemia problems 6 years before my AVR, they never were really sure what caused it but it never reoccurred ... don't be a stranger!

Glad to hear that you are still 'ticking' Johnny !

Did you have a blood test to check for Hemolysis (damage to red blood cells)?

I'd be interested to know if that could be a factor in your anemia.

'AL Capshaw'

I was wonderring if you know what kind of Anemia you have..there are a few kinds that they can tell and get an idea of what the problem is just by the size and shape color of the red cells in the complete Blood count /blood smear (look at cells on a slide) which could give an idea of the cause,are you not making enough red cells, or is something detroying them - low iron or certain vitamins usually is larger usually has larger red cells (macrocytic,) ect

I'm glad to hear from you and beside the anemia things are going well.

Hi Johnny,

WOW..... welcome back... So Glad you checked in. Time does have a way of getting us out into the world again, and unfortunately, not as much time is left for posting on the site.

I just went through a re-op myself... ughhhhh! So lots of time to post now. :)

Hope your worries are few, and that your medical issues get fixed.

Rob

Johnny,
I'm so glad to see our most lovely, talented member check in! I'm glad you weathered the job turmoil but sorry that you're having trouble with the anemia. You look great and the picture of health.:smile2:

Hi Johnny,

Good to hear from you again. Glad your doing well. My next door neighbor was laid off from MS and then rehired as a contractor. Sounds like a trend. Bummer about the anemia, hope it gets better. I hope you stick around and continue posting

Funny story. Some friends kids have younger daughters who are have equestrian riding for the last number of years. We've gone to see them ride a couple of times and the last time 2 weeks ago they mentioned there was some "heart doctor" who just started riding at the adult beginiing level. Named "Ed with a french sounding last name". It would have been fun to see him ride around the rink, but I don't think they even jump as a beginner. Figure I'll play golf or fish when I get close to retiring (not that's there anything wrong with equestrian.) I wanted to say hi but might have been a little uncomfortable telling the valve he put in failed completely and decided to go elsewhere for the re-op.

Thanks for the nice words, everyone!

Al: I have been tested and retested for the anemia and it always comes back the same: Iron Deficiency Anemia. I make plenty of red blood cells, but they're low in hemoglobin. One doc even showed a picture of my cells and how "pale" they were. I did ask about hemolytic anemia, but was told that it's usually more common with a fine jet-type leak around the valve ring, and the blood cells show no sign of damage.

Chris: How amazing to hear from you after all this time! When I think back through the fog of versed, I pretty clearly remember you and your wife coming to visit me the night before my surgery. I'm glad to see you posting! It would indeed be great to see Dr. Ed on a horse, haha. I did some volunteer work at UWMC last summer while laid off and several times saw him in the hallways. I didn't realize you'd had to be re-operated - you'll have to tell me about that sometime. When MS laid me off, there was no option to convert to contractor. I went that way anyway and found a gig for 14 months in their Health Solutions Group. They must have liked me, because they dug up a budget and hired be back on to staff. Kind of cliche', but it was a good outcome and I'm doing work I'm much happier to do.

It's great to reconnect with everyone again. I'll try to be around more.

Thanks for the nice words, everyone!

Al: I have been tested and retested for the anemia and it always comes back the same: Iron Deficiency Anemia. I make plenty of red blood cells, but they're low in hemoglobin. One doc even showed a picture of my cells and how "pale" they were. I did ask about hemolytic anemia, but was told that it's usually more common with a fine jet-type leak around the valve ring, and the blood cells show no sign of damage.
QUOTE]

Iron deficient could be from acouple things, Do they think you aren't taking enough Iron in, or do they think your ulcer is bleeding? or something may be wrong with your GI tract and it isn't absorbing enough. It must be frustrating not knowing whats causing it, so they could help you.

"The lovely and talented..."

Glad to see you around. That is an interesting issue with the anemia. I think I agree with your doc, though, that it's not valve-related if there aren't a lot of damaged cells around.

Need to look for an unrealted cause.

Best wishes,

JOHNNY!

It's good to see you post! Glad you are well overall.

I'll be in your area during my 2011 road trip ... in either early June or late June/early July.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* 06/2011.RT=us66+NW USA*
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Get to what's real" ... Van Halen ... 'Jump'

Latest posts

Back