Yearly cardio visit, have afib now

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halleyg

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I had my yearly visit with my cardio today; had my echo last week. Turns out I have afib, which surprised me, but also made me glad I am already on warfarin. When he told me the symptoms I realized I'd been having some of them for months! I have had so many weird things happen for so long and it turns out to be nothing that I just didn't realize it. Anyhow, since I'm already on the warfarin he didn't seem worried or anything, next week I am going back in to get a heart monitor to wear for 24 hrs.

This also got me thinking how scary that these things just pop up and I'm so grateful like I mentioned to have already been on warfarin.

Sorry to hear that Halley. At least you seem prepared for it... what symptoms?

My symptoms were palpitations, but I've had those before so didn't think anything of it, some SOB which I thought were my allergies, and I have noticed my HR being erratic on the treadmill when I run, sometimes really high but then other days seeming too low. I did have one incident in Aug. after which I called the cardio office; I had been running and as soon as I stopped I felt like I was going to pass out for a few seconds... nurse said if it happened again to call back but it didn't.

I forgot to mention that he said I didn't need meds but that sometimes they actually shock people's heart back to normal rhythm, which I hadn't heard of. I thought he was kidding at first but he explained how it was done. Pretty interesting.

Why don't they give you meds for irregular heartbeat? Instead of the shock, can they give you a conversion? (meds through an IV that may put you back into rythym) I do not take any anti-couglant (sp) so I am not sure if they can do it or not. I have been shocked twice. I do not remember either time. (amnesia meds) Sorry to hear you are going through this. Best of luck to you.

Haley, I can literally sympathize with you. I had my yearly check-up on Monday and no real surprises. Today, just two days later, I woke up at 4 AM and I was in rapid atrial fib with a rate of about 150. I had an appointment with my GI doctor who happens to be in the same building as my cardio so I mentioned nothing to the GI doc but stopped at my cardio afterwards to ask how he wanted me to handle it. I'm still in atrial fib but the rate is now about 110-120. I'm also back on Amiodarone, Cardizem, and Magnesium. A few years ago we were discussing on the board the importance of Magnesium and somewhere along the line I just stopped taking any except what was in my multi-vitamin. Diuretics can deplete your Magnesium just like many deplete your Potassium. I go back on Friday for more labs and possible cardioversion. I'm on warfarin too so at least that is in our favor. Had you been in atrial fib before?

Halley, you are right that it is scary these things "just pop up" -- and it's not even Halloween yet! :eek::p

I don't have any experience woith this particular problem (yet) but just wanted to send my best wishes that it all clears up soon.

Thanks for the support... wow, Betty, that really did just come out of nowhere. I have heard that before about magnesium and have thought of taking it but just never asked about it further and never did get any... apparently I was in afib during my echo but not today. Guess that's why he wants me to wear the monitor. I am getting ready to leave for a few days so have been so busy, I need to look into it further b/c I was wondering about the meds, needing them or not... but hearing from you guys is always helpful! :)

Why don't they give you meds for irregular heartbeat? Instead of the shock, can they give you a conversion? (meds through an IV that may put you back into rythym) I do not take any anti-couglant (sp) so I am not sure if they can do it or not. I have been shocked twice. I do not remember either time. (amnesia meds) Sorry to hear you are going through this. Best of luck to you.

Thanks, Deb, I asked him about meds and he said I didn't need them. But then later today I was wondering why, guess at the time I was so surprised and initially happy not to have to take another med, but now I am wondering, I'll ask about that next week. I don't know that he wants to shock me, I had just asked him what is done to treat it, I think he wants to see what happens with the heart monitor first.

I would much rather be shocked than taking those awful meds. Actually, when I had A-Fib before having my surgery, they did the cardioversion (the shock) for which I was given something to sedate/anesthesize me. It worked, but since they wanted to make sure I didn't go back into A-Fib before I was able to have the surgery, they put me on Amiodarone and Cardizem. It was the meds I hated. The cardioversion was nothing since I was out.

I forgot to mention that he said I didn't need meds but that sometimes they actually shock people's heart back to normal rhythm, which I hadn't heard of. I thought he was kidding at first but he explained how it was done. Pretty interesting.

I would much rather be shocked than taking those awful meds.

Halley,
Sorry to hear about the A-fib. I had arrhythmia several times after surgery and I can tell you that being electrically cardioverted (shocked) back to a sinus rhythm was a wonderful experience, because I never felt or remembered anything about it except that when I woke up each time my heart was in a normal rhythm and that always felt great. I agree with Adrienne, after being on some of the arrhythmic drugs, I would much prefer to be shocked back but sometimes you might need the drugs to help maintain the sinus rhythm. Best of luck and good wishes for you.

Oh, what did the Cardio say about this (A-fib) relative to your running?
Take care,
John

So sorry to hear that Halley. I am a bit surprised too, that the symptoms were not more pronounced than palpitations and could be easily ignored. From what my cardio had described, there is no mistaking Afib symptomsm the heart rate fluctuates wildly. In any case, glad it got detected. I hope it gets resolved with either cardiodiversion or meds, whichever you choose. Best wishes,
Nupur

Haley, I can literally sympathize with you. I had my yearly check-up on Monday and no real surprises. Today, just two days later, I woke up at 4 AM and I was in rapid atrial fib with a rate of about 150. I had an appointment with my GI doctor who happens to be in the same building as my cardio so I mentioned nothing to the GI doc but stopped at my cardio afterwards to ask how he wanted me to handle it. I'm still in atrial fib but the rate is now about 110-120. I'm also back on Amiodarone, Cardizem, and Magnesium. A few years ago we were discussing on the board the importance of Magnesium and somewhere along the line I just stopped taking any except what was in my multi-vitamin. Diuretics can deplete your Magnesium just like many deplete your Potassium. I go back on Friday for more labs and possible cardioversion. I'm on warfarin too so at least that is in our favor. Had you been in atrial fib before?

There is no need to take amiodarone anymore, as the new drug Multaq is now avaliable in the USA. It's also known as dronedarone. It is like amiodarone without the iodine, and without the nasty side affects. I have been on it for about 30 days now, and it stopped the A-fib in just 2 days, without any side affects. It is expensive, but worth the price for the peace of mind on very little if any side affects. Mine is a $30 co-pay, but it varies from different insurance coverage. I hope all you amiodarone users can get your cardio to put you on this med, as I think it is very effective, with minimum to no side affects! :)

My Cardio recommends SOTALOL (generic form of BetaPace) for A-Fib.

For many it works well, even in small doses, has few if any side-effects once the body adjusts to it (may take a few weeks with some mild dizzyness) and, it is CHEAP ($4 / 30 pills at many Drug Stores).

It is recommended that patients be admitted to a hospital to be monitored for the first few days 'just to be sure' that dangerous arrhythmias are not triggered as the body adjusts to the medication.

'AL Capshaw'

My symptoms were palpitations, but I've had those before so didn't think anything of it, some SOB which I thought were my allergies, and I have noticed my HR being erratic on the treadmill when I run, sometimes really high but then other days seeming too low. I did have one incident in Aug. after which I called the cardio office; I had been running and as soon as I stopped I felt like I was going to pass out for a few seconds... nurse said if it happened again to call back but it didn't.

Hi Halley
after my AVR I had a erratic heart rate. They tried meds. for a few weeks with no result, so I went to the hospital for a reboot They put you under, then stop your heart and shock it and HEY PRESTO perfect. I was in and out of Hospital in 3 hours. Dont worry its easier than going to the dentist

Thanks again, everyone.. I think I would rather get the shock than take the meds. Last night I was up with a pretty rapid HB, kind of annoying, but hopefully I'll know more after wearing the monitor this week!

Halley, I can totally sympathise!
I have just got out of hospital yesterday after being in for AF and having electrical cardioversion (shock) back to sinus rhythm. This is the second time in 2 months that I have had this. It's very depressing because after my surgery and Maze procedure three years ago I was fine, until 2 months ago when this started up again. I thought my years of intermittent AF were all behind me:(
After the first cardioversion 2 months ago I went down to see my cardiologist and he put me on Betaloc (metoprolol). Now, since yesterday's cardioversion the doctors at the local hospital have me on Amiodarone again:(
I don't know what to do, what to take? I am only going to take the Amiodarone for a month then I'm going to go back and talk to my cardio and see what other options there are.
My blood pressure is already low, and a lot of the drugs they use to control AF knock it even lower, making it hard to function.

Anyway, sorry for the long moan and for hijacking your thread. It seems like there are quite a few of us in this predicament.
And I agree with what some of the others have said - the shock is quick and painless (as you are out to it), and usually gives instant results.
I hope it works for you and you don't have to go on any meds.
Good luck.
Bridgette

Latest posts

Back