Yearly cardio visit, have afib now

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm back in sinus rhythm as of yesterday and also off of the cardizem since I gained 7.7 lbs in the two days I was on it. The Amiodarone is also on hold. I got a call a couple of hours ago from my cardiologist (rather unusual for a Saturday afternoon). He was reviewing some of my test results and wanted to tweak a couple things. I'm hopeful of stabilizing again. But as is apparent by this thread, it is a very common problem.

In the past I had declined going on Sotolol because of the required hospital admission. I will read up on Multag for future reference. I appreciate the feedback.

Halley, let me know how you do.

Thanks again, everyone.. I think I would rather get the shock than take the meds. Last night I was up with a pretty rapid HB, kind of annoying, but hopefully I'll know more after wearing the monitor this week!

Hi Halley!
I agree with you, I would rather have the shock because you really don't feel or remember a thing about it-They knock you out. And as much as I would want to avoid the rate drugs, I think they often put you on the Rx in order to maintain the benefits of the shock. So be prepared for both and try to find the least harmful Rx. If you do go on Amiodarone and I would even say the newer version of it; be sure that you have regular blood work to check your liver function and maybe some other stuff and also go see your ophthalmologist or Optometrist on a regular basis, becasue there are possible vision side effects.
Best of luck and Take care
John

I have to second what John says- I had a cardioversion that was a success,
and I was given meds for sedation prior to the 'shock' and don't remember a thing.
All I remember was waking up in Sinus Rhythm.

Bridgette, I hope you can get off the meds too. I know that has to be discouraging after you thought it was "fixed".

Thanks Betty. I am trying to decide what to do. I was thinking about that new drug Multaq but I don't think it's available in NZ yet.

I have been very lucky. My bouts of AF were very short. I do know how it feels, and am full of sympathy for those struggling with it. Sending sothing thoughts out to those troubled hearts. Brian

I have been very lucky. My bouts of AF were very short. I do know how it feels, and am full of sympathy for those struggling with it. Sending sothing thoughts out to those troubled hearts. Brian

Thanks Brian...and everyone else, I appreciate the support. Tomorrow I go in to get my monitor. Last week I was very preoccupied with other things and caught off-guard with the AF diagnosis. Since then I've had time to think about it and find that I'm mostly confused. I don't seem to have it all the time, do some of you have the abnormal rhythm all the time? If I just have it sometimes would it need to be medicated or fixed?

Halley, Just want to tell you that I'm sorry at this new development and hope that you and your Dr. find a way to resolve it soon.

Kim

Halley,I have been through the A Fib maze for years. I have done every drug and had several cardioversions in the process. My heart is just perfectly happy to be in controlled rate A Fib. Its very scary at first but the more you know about it the more you can deal,,especially if it becomes a problem. My surgeon was going to try and help last year but my poor heart is to damaged.
Yours is in better shape so you will have a good outcome.
Best wishes!

Latest posts

Back