Worried about my Dad

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just talked to my mom. My dad needs a total shoulder joint replacement surgery, UGH. I want to cry. I feel so bad. My parents have a lot to talk about. He will be having another MRI on the shoulder as the first one was MORE on his back. The shoulder is bone to bone they said. So this means he will be going on Lovenox again and then getting his INR regulated all over again, its not even ONE YEAR since his OHS. I am so bummed and totally sad right now. I am supposed to be grocery shopping but I cant even do that. I am depressed, so is my dad and my mom too. We are emotional cripples right now. All that lifting all these years. What is surgery like after OHS? UGH!!!!!!!!!!

JoJo,
I sent you a PM on this subject. Hope it helps.

JoJo,

I had knee surgery after my OHS. Wasn't a total replacement but wasn't a walk in the tulips either. The knee doc had me get an echo and cardio checkup beforehand and all was fine.

I understand why you are bummed out but your dad should do well. Since he's having debilitating shoulder pain, this should benefit him. He needs you to be calm for him. And I am with Ross, get those groceries, and include some good comfort foods. Wishing your dad and whole family all the best....

Sorry to hear about your Dad's shoulder problem JoJo.

The GOOD NEWS is that these things are FIXABLE.

Just be sure to have his Cardiologist communicate with the Orthopedic Surgeon about how to manage his Coumadin / Lovenox and to balance the Bleeding / Stroke Risk. Ross can tell you that it is often wise to DELAY the return to Lovenox following Surgery because of potential bleeding issues. It is *usually* OK to resume Coumadin the night after surgery because that takes several days to 'come up to speed'.

None of this is FUN, but it IS Survivable and hopefully he will retain most of his shoulder function.

Best Wishes to you and your family,

'AL Capshaw'

ugh Ross WHY??? WHY WHY WHY? I am so sad...things were good...I mean they are still ok, its not emergency or anything but still. So, you had your hip replaced after OHS? Are there many people on here that have surgeries after OHS?

OHS in 95 and left total hip replacement 99, then another OHS in 02.

I'd venture to say that many of us have had additional surgeries done over the years.

JoJo:

I haven't had any additional surgeries or anything since OHS, but have a friend who had really bad hip joints and lived with the pain, bad pain, for years because he didn't want surgery. Well, he had hip surgery about 2 months ago and had tremendous pain relief immediately. (I believe his wife told me he had hip replacement surgery). Anyway, about two days after surgery he was kicking himself for having waited so long and spent all those years suffering. Believe he is close to 80. You just need to hear some good stories about people who have had joint surgery....it's so much different than it was just a few years ago, or so it seems from stories I have heard.

Take heart and relax a bit. Believe it or not, we can handle what is given us.

Prayers for your family.....and I hope you are still not smoking.

Midge

thanks everyone, Midge, no I am not smoking although I really want onebut fighting the urges. Al Capshaw, yup, bridging and the Coumdin thing all over again! AT least we know what to expect with that. My dad said he is not even worried about the surgery, its more the money/work situations.

I love this site...:eek:

JoJo:

I haven't had any additional surgeries or anything since OHS, but have a friend who had really bad hip joints and lived with the pain, bad pain, for years because he didn't want surgery. Well, he had hip surgery about 2 months ago and had tremendous pain relief immediately. (I believe his wife told me he had hip replacement surgery). Anyway, about two days after surgery he was kicking himself for having waited so long and spent all those years suffering. Believe he is close to 80. You just need to hear some good stories about people who have had joint surgery....it's so much different than it was just a few years ago, or so it seems from stories I have heard.

Take heart and relax a bit. Believe it or not, we can handle what is given us.

Prayers for your family.....and I hope you are still not smoking.

Midge
Midge I was the same way. I wouldn't get mine fixed until the day I couldn't put weight on it at all. Once that occured, it was a no brainer to get it done and I too, regret not having done it much sooner. I lived in major pain for nearly 3 years.

Latest posts

Back