which valve???????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which valve???????

This valve choice topic is a very sensitive topic for people who are post-op and already have one or the other inside their chests.

Mechanical valvers AND tissue valvers want to come up with every reason to justify that what they have inside of them is the best thing.

I can tell you one thing - I was told by my surgeon that I had to have my valve replaced or I would die. Choices were never even offered or discussed and I had no clue there were even different types of valves.

14 years ago - I even attempted to find info online and there really wasn't any.

Thats exactly why I created this site while recovering.

Now here we are having the discussion and allowing our opinions to be considered by thousands.

As long as everyone keeps this topic civil and it will help those who search for answers in their greatest time of need.

This valve choice topic is a very sensitive topic for people who are post-op and already have one or the other inside their chests.

Mechanical valvers AND tissue valvers want to come up with every reason to justify that what they have inside of them is the best thing.

I can tell you one thing - I was told by my surgeon that I had to have my valve replaced or I would die. Choices were never even offered or discussed and I had no clue there were even different types of valves.

14 years ago - I even attempted to find info online and there really wasn't any.

Now here we are having the discussion and allowing our opinions to be considered by thousands.

As long as everyone keeps this topic civil and it will help those who search for answers in their greatest time of need.

Thank you Hank xxx

GREAT post Hank - MUCH thanks to you for starting this wonderful community!!!

That brings to my mind a really good question. What kind of choices and options have we had? My surgeon and cardio pretty much had their minds made up, though my surgeon did say that the ultimate decision was up to me. Luckily for me, I was quite happy with their recommendations. Some people seem to have their options completely open, while others have, although more limited, some choice in the matter. Does this vary by country, region, hospital, health insurance, etc?

It seems an important factor is the idea that a surgeon may have certain preferences, being familiar with a particular valve, for instance. I also like to think that my surgeon is very well trained and experienced (30+ years) and can make a good determination based on my history and what things look like inside me as to what valve to use. If he had felt that I should have had a tissue valve, he probably would have had very good reasons for it, probably enough to convince me that it was the right choice for me.

Do we know anyone who has had a mechanical valve that failed? I don't recall reading of any.
at h
As for tissue valve longevity, there really is no set number of years for people under 65. Ok, maybe 8-10 is an average, but what about those that have a valve fail after only 2 or 3 years? I know I've read of that here. I know there have been those whose first VR was great with no problems and the second surgery practically brought them to death's door.

I do recall a few members posting that their mechanical valve failed from perhaps pannus or stitching issues? I don't know the details, but one was Johnny who had to have a re-op 2 years later. Hopefully, RobThatsMe can chime in to the details of his situation, too.

Last edited:
Luana,
Virginian777 had a mechanical valve replaced with a tissue valve a year later. I don't know the exact reason, but think it was leakage?

Last edited:
i will be getting my OHS on November 25th, and going with mechanical valve: On-X. Nervous about blood thinners, but not scared. I will continue to rock climb, cycle, backpack, etc. I'm 30. This is an obvious choice for me.
my journey: http://robovalve.wordpress.com/

Heys! Hi Anthony! I have to undergo AVR surgery too in a couple of weeks! I have not yet my decision, but because I am 27 years old, I am between a mechanical valve and the Ross procedure. The first, as you may well know, last a lifetime but for the rest of your life you have to take anticoagulants. With the Ross procedure, you avoid anticoagulants, it is recommended for sporty people but you have to undergo surgery in a some 20 years or less. I feel very identified with you, since I am also a person who loves doing sports, specially tennis and basketball! Still, with basketball I would have to be aware of the fact that it is a contact sport, and that if I decide myself for the mechanical, then I would have to take care of that.

Best regards!

Erik

Hi, Reader and infrequent poster on this forum. I'm sixty years old and have been in the waiting room for fifteen years. I've read all the posts about valve choice and while helpful it's also a bit scary. Obviously there are opinions all over the place as well as some redundancy on making your own choice, myself I'm so terrified of the surgery I'd let them put a play dough valve in if it meant no more surgeries. I don't jog or ride a bike or workout, I work hard for my family and the most important thing for me is to stick around to see that they all get their lives on track before I can't help anymore. Taking warfarin or listening to my heart tick mean nothing to me, hearing that my granddaughter graduated from college or that one of my sons got a promotion is all that I care about. I guess what I'm saying is I just want to live a little longer so I can finish my work, the method doesn't really matter. Thank you all for letting me have my say, you all know how tough this can be and it has meant a lot to me reading this forum and knowing I'm not alone.

You have a lot going on the live for. Congrats and keep posting. For some, this decision on valve replacements, is very hard. There seems at time, not enough information on Coumadin(warfarin), valve replace choices. We have to keep everyone else in the know of all the breakthroughs and do all the handholding. You are doing quite well, Capt. Jim, keep up the good work. I lurk in every so often, will do more this winter. Hugs for you today. :)

Latest posts

Back