Where's all the newbies?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneGM

:confused:

We've had lots of surgeries but it's been quite a while since anyone has been inducted into the Order of the Tawdry Shirt (TOOTS).

For those not aware, there's a tradition joining this Order, comprised of those noble adventurers who have journeyed over the mountain, by posting a post-op picture of your badge of honour (i.e. scar) in a Tawdry Shirt.

There are some official tawdry shirts circulating (post to ask for one so it can be forwarded to you), or you can post a pic in your own tawdry shirt (I did).

Let's not let this noble tradition fade away. Whose next to join up? ;)

Has anyone else noticed that some of the newbies don't come back to report that they're over the mountain? I really wish they'd come back to let us know they're ok.

Has anyone else noticed that some of the newbies don't come back to report that they're over the mountain? I really wish they'd come back to let us know they're ok.

That's one thing that's troubled me for a long time. They come for information and understanding, have surgery, then split. More of them need to come back and help out other new people who come in just as petrified as they once were.

Gee, I never posted my "skin", but I did post my black eye.....does that count? Perhapes not.......but like it or not I'm still here (smile)

Yeah, well, some of us lurk for a long time after surgery, and don't post until our heads are screwed back on properly! Of course, mine's never been screwed on properly....:p
And I've never posted a tawdry shirt pic, either. I wanted to put a temporary tatoo of a zipper over the zipper and get a pic just for yucks. :D

Well maybe we scared them off! ;) Alot of people just get the information then when everything turns out ok they head for the hills. Not realizing you still need each other and you still go through things that you need information for.
Hey I dont have a T shirt!!!

Geez....now I'm mad at myself. I was in such a state the month between learning I needed a second OHSand having it done, I forgot about theTawdry and never requested one be sent. I would have had a yuk getting a photo. Now that I think of it......two OHS and we never took a single photo. Somehow I didn't really want to remember it all that well! :rolleyes:

I’m sure there are multiple reasons some peeps never return, why some never leave and why some take a little while to report back…..the reasons are as numerous as there are users…….I had a PM pop up one day…..had never heard of this person….she had some information for me on a question I had posted……She said she did not post publicly any more and asked me not to mention her PM….I have heard from her one other time again with answers to a questions…..I never asked her why she did not post….she asked me to respect her privacy and I did…..I know one member that is super shy……..whatever the reasons….it’s okay by me.

Well, I think this shirt is more camp than tawdry, and my 70's dance move looks like I'm hailing a taxi, but here goes....

Yes, there are shirts out there! And those who have them have agreed to forward them to those who follow!

The original shirt was to reassure the owner's mother three days after his heart surgery. Showing the stapled wound was to prove authenticity. The shirt was worn because it was silk, and didn't irritate the healing area. The design on the shirt was gratuitous. The pose was to show that he really was feeling all right.

The Order was started because the picture was posted to give others a positive example of how surgery can turn out. Another member (StrechL) asked if he would forward the "good luck shirt" to be worn by him after surgery as well. A certificate was made, signed photos of the shirt-wearers were added, and the shirt began to be forwarded around. Then there was need for another, and the old box in the attic was raided again for another billious silk shirt that was worn during recovery, and a second and third shirt began the rounds.

The notion is that you take a picture in the shirt shortly after your surgery, post it here, and include a signed, dated copy of it with the shirt. The obligation (the only obligation) is that when the next person is ready to use a Tawdry shirt, you wash it and mail it (with the certificate and photos) to that person. Sort of a fashion-faux-pas chain letter, with mild gore.

It's just a novel way to share the experience with each other, and to make the comradeship felt through the website more real through the medium of the cloth, however silly.

And they don't need to be just on new newbies. You still qualify as long as you've had any type of valve surgery (that, of course, includes repairs). It's just a little more effective when the awful reality of the sight-searing shirt is balanced by the muted gruesomeness of a freshly stapled, not-yet-healed, chest scar.

But no, the base membership qualification can never be taken away.

JC, you get in for earnestness and a really nice scar set display, but that shirt is not nearly wretched and jarring enough to the sensibilities...

Best wishes,

Wayne and/or Ross,

I certainly would like to get in on this tradition. How do I get a shirt forwarded to me for my pics and then how do I find out who to pass it on to? I'm due for surgery sometime within the next 4 weeks - hope to get my actual date either tomorrow or Tuesday. Let me know, will ya?

Randy

I'm not sure where the original tawdry shirts are. They were supposed to get passed along but they must have stalled somewhere. If anyone's got one, please post and let us know.

Personally, I didn't use one of the original tawdry shirts....I had my own tawdry attire. :D

I am not sure that anyone took any pictures of my scar......:( Guess I should have thought about that. But then, I really hadn't gone through the entire forum when I had my surgery.....And I didn't get staples, they used glue so by the time I came home, unless you knew I just had OHS, you really couldn't see much. My surgeon put the incision right in my cleavage (and Ross, before you get carried away, not much cleavage there! LOL :D ) and most people can't even see it!

My daughter took a picture of my scar in hospital with my iPhone. Is a hospital gown a tawdry enough shirt? Or should I photoshop a really bad Hawaiian shirt over it? My face doesn't show, but I'm really proud of the scar because my surgeon (who usually leaves tracks half as long) had to deal with the old one and so tried to make my decolletage somewhat less grossifying. I'm going to take another picture a couple of months down the road for comparison, but this one is pretty spectacular.

Latest posts

Back