When the push comes to shove...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanche

Happy to be here
Supporting Member
Update on my cancer surgery is a bit iffey.

I am scheduled for surgery at the Mayo Clinic on May 20, 2010. Between now and then, I have to undergo a whole bunch of tests. The first tests begin this week on April 21. Then, later on, there are procedures to prepare for the surgery...lumpectomy followed, in three weeks, by radiation treatment of 15 or 30 days.

I wish I knew what specific tests they are doing this week. The paperwork does not indicate what tests are being done. I have tried to find out what is to be done, but am having a devil of a time getting anyone to be specific. As many of you know, I am an information junkie and I need details.

I am most concerned about my A-Fib. The doctor said she would not be able to operate until my a-fib was "taken care of." Since the Mayo is handling all of my medical neeeds, I must believe that this will be attended to at the time of the testing in a few days.

I do need more info on a-fib before I can feel comfortable with this. I visit with my internist (PCP) tomorrow...so he might be able to help with this. So far this is the most worrysome part of this "adventure." I keep telling myself that this type of concern happens all the time at the Mayo (in all 3 locations) so they must have procedures for it.

I have not found the "silver lining" in all of this yet, but I did re-connect with a magnificant Professor that I knew "in my old life." She gave me the best advice to date when she said, " Stop all the worrying and be positive, positive, positive." She also said, "You are the star of the show, darlin. They can't start without you!!!" I have taken her advice. When I really get down, I think, "Imagine the joy of dancing with an angel...imagine."

I have taken upon myself to look into doing the radiation therapy at a center close to my home. Mayo is 25-30 miles each way. Albert had his radiation (15 days) at Mayo last October and it became a bit of a drag after a while, and that was in the cooler months. Traveling that distance in the June/July Arizona heat is not something I relish.

Appreciate your listening to my thoughts and wonderings and the like.

And for dear Fred....I'll try to be more prompt in my postings.

Kind regards to all,

Blanche

Imagine the joy.....written by Nelson Haggerson

Blanche-

I had a Muga scan, I think that was for the chemo though, so you might not have that one, but with aFib, you might have other heart related tests.

I also had a CAT scan with contrast and a lot of detailed bloodwork, then there are the pre-admission tests. Right before surgery started, they placed a guide wire into the center of the tumor to make sure it was located correctly for the surgeon. They leave that sticking out until you are wheeled into the operating room. That was done in a procedure room with ultra-sound, I think. They numb you first for that.

Have they mentioned anything about sentinel node? If your oncologist is going in that direction, you may have a sentinel node biopsy. That biopsy is to test the first lymph node in the line from the tumor to see if there are any cancer cells in it. If not, they may not have to do a more extensive lumph node dissection.

I didn't have that one, my oncologist wanted the full underarm lymph dissection rather than the sentinel node procedure.

Here is a WebMD link to that procedure.

http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/sentinel-lymph-node-biopsy

Blanche, Thanks for the update. I'll keep on praying as you go thru the busy weeks ahead. You know sometimes no matter HOW hard you look, there just are NO silver linings when sucky things happen, but I do believe of the power in being positive and believe all the prayers surrounding you really do help. Justin has made it threw some really tough things medically with all kinds of major complications and I believe beside the prayers from all over the world his attitude and determination made a difference.

FWIW I think it is a good idea to look for a place for Radiation closer to home. It just sounds much more pleasent for you and Al not to spend so much extra time traveling over and hour each day on top of the radiation. You both could use that time in much more enjoyable way. When I thought of you being the star of the show, why was my first thought Auntie Mame? :)

Blanche,

You remain n my thoughts and prayers and I hope you get through this as easily as possible. It stinks but you are up to the battle and will do great.
I love what your professor friend said to you. What an inspiring person! Your strength and determination will see you through. Big cyber hugs......

And for dear Fred....I'll try to be more prompt in my postings.

Kind regards to all,

Blanche

Imagine the joy.....written by Nelson Haggerson

Dear Blanche, you post when you can - no need to be prompt. I, along with others care and you know we worry when we don't hear from members.
((((hugs))))

I'm glad that you are checking in here Blanche. My knowledge of cancers is limited, but I do know that there are also
great forums for that on the internet. Recently I found a forum for my friend who was having a tumour removed from her face.
We are here for you anytime that you need to talk or just hang out. Very best wishes.

Blanche, you have my best wishes for this journey that has been imposed upon you. However, you have a commendable attitude and the spunk needed to overcome every obstacle in your path!

Hey Blanche, thanks for the update and wanted to let you know you are still in my thoughts and prayers.

Just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the update.

I'm rooting for you, Blanche...

Just be sure that the local place has the same level equipment as Mayo, and comparable technicians. A small convenience now of less travel should not lead to a treatment disappointment later.

Very best wishes,

Back