What type valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozycat

Live in Mojave, Ca., "first private spaceport in t
Hello all you helpful persons. I'm new to this site but thought it the place to come since I will need a new aortic valve very soon. Had a cardiac cath yesterday, 1/9, and what a trip..laying there watching the chambers of your own heart beat. All went well and at least there is no more that needs to be done than replace the aortic valve...which is enough but could have been worse.

I'm a 67 yr old female, I have COPD (too many years of smoking) but the symptoms are not severe now so if I have a valve to be replaced probably better now than when the COPD gets worse.

I was diagnosed with a heart murmur in Dec. of 07 but not bad enough to do anything about then. Saw my cardiologist in Dec. of 08 and he said it was time for a cath and then a replacement. The cath confirmed his findings so will probably be sceduled in the next month or so.

I'm 5'8" tall but of a slight build...his original thinking was a mechanical valve but at my last visit he was saying maybe a tissue valve because it would allow more room for blood flow. I'm sure this will be a point of discussion when I see the surgeon so wanted some input from some of you who have been thru this.

Also, for those of you who have had this valve replaced, does it help with being so tired? I have been an active person all my life and find it hard to adjust to how tired I get now with little exersion. I don't do alot of exercise or running stuff but do like to walk and have 8 big dogs and 8 cats that need care.

Thanks for your welcomed help and advice.
Cozycat

Ross for some reason I can't read most of this post, it is being cut off, do I have to change something in my settings?

Ross for some reason I can't read most of this post, it is being cut off, do I have to change something in my settings?

It is because Cozycat wrote too much in the space where you say where you live. I have noticed that when people do that, the whole section where the post is becomes horizontally longer.

So, Cozycat, try to shorten your location (even though it is interesting where you live)!!!

It is because Cozycat wrote too much in the space where you say where you live. I have noticed that when people do that, the whole section where the post is becomes horizontally longer.

So, Cozycat, try to shorten your location (even though it is interesting where you live)!!!

Thanks, (I was going to leave this as thanks, but it was too short :) )

Thanks, (I was going to leave this as thanks, but it was too short :) )

Lyn, If you go down to the bottom of the page and use valve replacement style it will all show up- I just tried it and it worked.

Welcome, I'm glad you found us before surgery. A tissue valve is a good choice at your age. Most tissue valves are now lasting 20 years. Check out the valve selection thread and you will find a lot of good information to digest before you meet with the surgeon. Best wishes to you and be sure to let us know when you have a date.

Welcome to our World Cozycat !

You may want to check out the "stickys" at the top of the list of Threads in the Valve Selection Forum.

For the latest and greatest in Mechanical Valves,
see www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com

For the Mechanical Valve with the longest record for durability look into the St. Jude Master's Series on www.sjm.com

The Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve holds the record for durability in Tissue Valves (because it's been around the longest), with most patients over age 65 at time of implantation getting 20 years service.

There are some 'new and improved' Porcine Tissue Valves from a few different suppliers with 'hoped for' increased longevity. Hopefully someone more familiar with these options will chime in.

'AL Capshaw'

Thank you, (Hopefully I didn't seem too whiney) Personally if I were 67 and getting a valve I would probably get a tissue valve.

As for which valve to use, I am not sure what to advise you as I know a couple of people of 65 who got a mechanical valve and many others over 60 get a tissue valve.

As for how you may feel after the surgery, I can imagine in my own opinion that if your fatigue now is due to your heart condition, you may regain your energy after the surgery.
:)
Good luck with your choice.

Hi and Welcome. Happy you found us but sorry for the reason.

I'm younger than you and opted for tissue valve last February. There is no wrong choice. Whichever you choose, don't look back or second guess yourself.

Mechanical, as I am sure you know, requires lifelong anti-coagulation. Many (most) here who are on coumadin/warfarin handle it well and their lives are full.

Tissue valves sometimes require a brief (2-3 months) usage of the drug but unless you have a-fib, you probably would be coumadin free after that brief time.

My surgeon felt it probably in someone 60 or over, a bovine valve is probably good for something in the range of 18-20+ years. He felt very strongly by that time, If I should need another, they won't be doing the replacements with such traumatic surgery. There have already been some percutaneous replacements....same method as you just had for your cath.

Good luck in making your choice. When you meet with your surgeon, you'll discuss your choices.

Welcome! I was going to write "yes, you'll definitely feel less tired", but Eva's more cautious reply was better. :)

A recent member, Alerion, generated a lot of discussion on valve selection, so if you search for his posts, you'll get a distillation of what a lot of us would reply. Some people choose a valve or procedure and look for a surgeon to support it. Some people just to want to be sure they have covered all the angles even if they are inclined to follow the surgeon's advice. It really helps to read here and be aware of the issues beforehand. A basic question for the surgeon is "why is the best valve for ME?". Also be sure that your surgeon and surgery center have LOTS of experience in your kind of surgery. My surgeon said all he'd done for 28 years was cut and sew, what has really improved is the aftercare.

Best wishes,
Debby

Welcome!

You and your surgeon need to determine which valve is best for you. There are significant differences between lifestyle and longevity with tissue vs. mechanical. Please spend some time here reading the lively discussions about valve choice. Then, armed with more knowledge and experience than your surgeon will be ready for :p have a good long talk with him!

Best wishes.

Marguerite

My surgeon left the choice entirely up to me. (Of course I'm sure he would have nixed it if he thought I'd gone wrong.) I was 63 then and after much agonizing, I choose a tissue -- the Medtronics Freestyle seemed promising for the combined aortic root/valve replacement I needed.

Because the tissue valves tend to last longer in us senior/golden years folks than in the younger people, they are a popular choice in our cohort. However, I am not saying you shouldn't go mechanical -- check out all the pros/cons with your surgeon and if you do searches here, you will find tons of info.

Best wishes....

I was 30 years younger when I got mine and have a mechanical. I think that was a good choice at the time because of my age. However, if I ever need a replacement, I will hopefully be a more seasoned adult and will definitely lean toward tissue. I haven't had any problems with Warfarin, but I hear it can cause more issues as you age.

Valve type

Valve type

Hi
I am 62 and got an aortic valve replacement with a tissue valve from a cow 2 years ago and am doing wonderfully. I'm not as tired, my hair and nails are stronger and growing healthier, I have color in my cheeks and lips and feel wonderful.
Wishing you the best!
Viki

Back