What to expect...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyinva

Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a while but I've been reading and following the group. In a few weeks I will be 18 months post op and other than some irregular heart beats I'm doing very well. Every once in a while I see posts from members that have tissue valves that they are failing or that it's time for them to be replaced. I know I will be having annual echo's and CT's but I was just wondering what symptoms (if any) those of you that have had to replace your tissue valves are experiencing? Not that I'm looking forward to another surgery, but was just curious what to expect.

Thanks again to this group for all the great advise I have received over the past couple years. You guys are the best!

I have exactly the same replacement device as you -- the Medtronic Freestyle -- and I don't know the answer to your question because I am 7 years-plus in with the Freestyle and experiencing no problems. I suppose you would start experiencing some shortness of breath, and you would call that to your doctor's attention right away. However, I hope you can relax and enjoy many more years with this device without worry. Coincidentally, I was just reading info earlier today on encouraging studies showing good durability of The Freestyle.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Listen to your body and your valve. I would think that the symptoms to watch for are the same ones that we watched for prior to surgery -- shortness of breath, syncope, chest pain are the "cardinal" symptoms. More subtle versions of any of them are probably worth a call to your cardio, too.

My plan is to just live my life. I know what to watch for, but I don't expect any symptoms to show up for years yet. If they do, I'll be on the phone as soon as I notice them so my cardio can check it out.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Listen to your body and your valve. I would think that the symptoms to watch for are the same ones that we watched for prior to surgery -- shortness of breath, syncope, chest pain are the "cardinal" symptoms. More subtle versions of any of them are probably worth a call to your cardio, too.

My plan is to just live my life. I know what to watch for, but I don't expect any symptoms to show up for years yet. If they do, I'll be on the phone as soon as I notice them so my cardio can check it out.

Steve is right, usually when a tissue valve starts to get stenosised , the symptoms pretty much would be the same as when your native valve was failing and needed replaced. It usually is a gradual thing that they would watch with the yearly testing

Kip,
Like Lyn said the symptoms, if there are any, will be similar to the symptoms for a failing native valve. You may have some of the symptoms mentioned or you may be asymptomatic and the degradation will be measured from changing numbers in your echocardiogram as determined by your cardiologist .
JOhn

Thanks everyone for your replies. The reason I asked the question was, I really didn't experience very many symptoms prior to my surgery. For me it was only about three months from diagnosis to surgery. Because I had an aortic aneurysm that needed immediate repair along with the valve that needed replacing, I didn't have to wait as long as most of you did so I really didn't have the shortness of breath, etc. that others seemed to have experienced. I'm hoping that this valve lasts forever and I don't have to worry about it!

Kip,
Just continue living your life the most healthy and fruitful way you can. Keep your cardiologist appointments when required. The doctor will likely know if things are not going right. And I hope your valve does last forever!! ;)

Latest posts

Back