What do you do when you can't do anything?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan B

I have a dilated aortic root, although it now qualifies as an aneurysm since it is well over 1.5 times the size of a normal aortic root (latest measurement was 5.4cm). I also have a dilated ascending aorta (5.1cm). My cardio and surgeon have me on no work, no lifting, and activity restrictions (am allowed to take short walks or short periods on stationary bike). I am waiting for some type of financial aid before I can have surgery or until my condition becomes an emergent situation.

My question is what do you do to fill the time to keep from going nuts. I play (way too much) online poker for play chips, watch movies, and do a lot of web surfing (YouTube videos kill a lot of time :D). But I am getting bored with these things. Any suggestions on something new to do? They can be serious or humorous I just need some ideas or a good laugh. :)

Bryan

--------------------

Aortic root measured 5.4cm at top end of root on 11/9/10
Ascending aorta measured 5.1cm on 11/9/10
Surgical Consult 11/19/10: he said I need surgery ASAP
CT scan and consult with surgeon specializing in aortic disease on 12/23/10
Still waiting on a decision from SS disability so I can get financial help
Newest symptom periodic chest pain

--------------------

About nine years ago, weeks after my surgery, an aunt and uncle stopped by to see how I was doing. They also brought us some nuts. Believe it or not, I enjoyed spending several hours cracking the nuts, etc -- and then, of course, afterwards eating whatever was made with them. So, a half-humorous suggestion to avoid going nuts is to go nuts.

Get a sony e-reader or nook, and download new e-books from your library. Maybe a friend has one you can borrow?

Bryan, I like the suggestion of learning to play an instrument. I might also suggest that you start a project for which you already have a great deal of background information; write your autobiography. The biggest mistake many beginning authors make is to write about subjects they know little about but for an autobiography you already know the basics. Also, if you do a simple web search for "How to write an autobiography", you will find many places that give good ideas about how to start organizing material and how to set up a structure for the finished product. This could be a great gift for your family. If you like them, you can tell them why and what led you to liking them. If, on the other hand, you don't like them, you can tell them so in detail and at great length. In an autobiography you could also tell the story of your family, rather like a James Michener novel from near the beginning...."The savanah stretched green to the horizon as our first ancestors set foot beyond the African soil of their birth in the year 60,000 BP .....". With an autobiography you have the scope to be funny, to weep, and to put your life in the context of its time and place. Its a thought.

Larry

Hi Brian,
Maybe go visit a nursing home and spend some time with someone that is feeling bored too.

Best,
John

Hey Bryan, you've gotten some good ideas here already. Does photography interest you?
I like to play cribbage and scrabble. Doing anagrams and crosswords feeds the brain a bit.
Some on-line volunteering with a dog rescue keeps me feeling helpful to critters in need.
And playing FarmTown on Facebook fills up my "down" time with silly fun.
:) Hope you get repaired soon.

Thanks for all of the ideas guys and keep them coming.

Cracking nuts is in interesting idea but maybe too strenuous. :D I have always wanted to learn how to crack and eat sunflower seeds using my mouth only. I tried it when I quit smoking but I was never very good at it.

Drinking till you drop has crossed my mind. :D

I like the idea of learning to play an instrument but I don't have any money to buy one.

I already have a title for my autobiography: "It could only happen to me" and tell all of the stories about things that have happened to me that defy logic. :D

I can't volunteer because that would fall into the same category as working but I had thought of that at one point...my cardio nixed the idea.

Visiting a nursing home reminded me of something I used to do semi-regularly and maybe I need to start doing it again. I used to go to the local SPCA with a big bag of dog food and a big box of Milk Bones. I would go to each cage and give the dogs a Milk Bone and give the friendly dogs some petting and loving. I think that would be good for my heart both physically and mentally.

Swim!

I'm a long time triathlete, like since way before it was vogue. Scuba is also a passion. [My Mom retired as a life guard]. THE WATER IS THERAPY!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with the regulars is very mentally stimulating and good fun. Get into a deep water class where all the participants wear a floatation belt. You are suspend in the 3rd dimension and free from gravity---ahhhhhh so beautiful! You follow along but work the intensity at your own personal level and requirement. As for me, deep water ain't my cup of tea cause I am a swimmer. I spent 10's of years working on body position and technique. Now while waiting for a valve job and ascending aorta root transplant I have not been forced to give up the water. It just takes a little longer to stroke 1500 meters.

You can isolate body sections with pull boys and kick boards. Their are tons of ways to work and enjoy the water. The guards can guide you and WILL help you. If you cannot put your face in the water without experiencing a panic attack, DON'T. It's not necessary. If you don't swim the hardest thing is getting out the door.

If you are packing a few extra Lbs know this---no one gives a **** what you look like in your suit at the pool!! Pool people range from pencil neck to clinically obese and they all wear bathing suits. I swim with some chubby folks and they can lay a liken on the the lean and mean. But this is not about competition, it's about your sanity and peace of mind.

The pool is NOT all about competition and training. Many a hard core event swimmer burns out cause they did not learn or appreciate the zen form being one with the water. [It F'n pisses me off when I swim next to a thrasher]. Learn to work with those beautiful molecules of H2O and you will never look back.

These facilities also have saunas and hot tubs. You will feel brand new and have have a wonderful day after hanging at the aquatic park. Their are senior groups. These folks are very tight and regularly enjoy a social.

Sooooo get your ass out the door and go swimming.

Just so you know, I almost drowned twice in my life. You will will never be in the elements or position I was in when I went through the experience's. Yet I STILL SWIM, like 5 days a week!

Enjoy

Do a Model.

The ship The Blue Nose is a good build.
I started one a year before surgery. It could have been my carelessness, but I cut myself many times and did not finish it after surgery - being on warfarin scared me to continue so I gave it to my neighbor.

If the Blue Nose is too big, try doing a model car.

Last but not least, there is always a good old fashion Jig-Saw puzzles, but think BIG get one that is 1000 pieces or more.

Good Luck

Bruce thanks for the ideas. Again money is a major obstacle for me right now. But I do understand and appreciate the zen from being one with the water. I surfed for several years and there was nothing more special than going out at sunrise and experiencing both the power and the beauty of the ocean...very therapeutic and great exercise. I was in the best shape of my left during the years I surfed regularly. Once I get my surgery behind me I think getting back in the pool is a great idea. I think I might be past my prime for serious surfing but one day I might get an 8-10' board and do some leisure surfing (I used to surf on a 6'1" board).

That is a good idea Freddie. I used to build model airplanes when I was a kid and it was a blast.

The problem is not only what my doctors won't let me do, but as my symptoms increase and my energy decreases it is also what I don't feel up to doing. That's why I'm looking for something different to do that takes little physical effort and keeps my mind off of my current circumstances. Great ideas everyone, thanks.

OK Bryan

Lets get pro active and start showing up on door steps pleading your case. I live waaaay up in Canada. If you are having financial difficulties you can apply and WILL get free admittance into the city fitness/aquatic facilities. Hmmmmmm, have you looked into this Charlie Brown?

Dude like you surf, their are no more appreciative water men then surfers. Afraid of putting your face in the water, I think not, who else does tumble turns off the ocean floor. Besides swimming is cheaper then models and nuts! Show up to the pool and plead your case!

You live in NC, wow! I have been Windsurfing for 25 years adjacent to the rocky mountains. My dream was always to sail Hatteras! I'm a slalom sailor, and this is a great flat water/bump and jump location. Oh Yea my Fave condition are those which favor a a 6.0 sail and 100 lt board. Tooo sweet.

Hey Man, tell me about the sternal wire removal thing. I do a hell of a lot of water skiing and periodically take a rib shot. I do not want to hear the "twang" of the wires snapping. "Twang" is reserved for country music.

Be cool

Bryan,

You have received some AWESOME ideas ... may have to "steal" some of them myself.

However ... you have forgotten one ... ROAD TRIP!!!!!!! lol

:)

Seriously ... thoughts/prayers coming your way.....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* 06/2011.RT=us66+NW USA*
** RadioShow.CDshowcase.HOLIDAY | Friday | 12.24.2010 | noon-4p.CENTRAL = www.WRMN1410.com **
"Yuletide carols being sung by a choir" ... Nat King Cole ... 'The Christmas Song'

I spent alot of time on the x-box 360.You can buy a refurbished one for 1/2 price at gamestop along with used games that are very well priced.That will burn alot of idle hours and best of all you can get so emersed in the game you will not be thinking about anything else.

Bryan,

I sure like ALL OF THE ABOVE! These suggestions should really keep you busy! Good luck

I find putting puzzles together can be rather entertaining if you have a table top or somewhere you could start the puzzle on and able to leave it there during the time you are putting it together. There are some really beautiful ones out there and they are not all that expensive. I'd start with a 500 piece puzzle and then go on to something bigger.

Take care Bryan.....keeping you in my prayers.

Thank you N Jean. You are in my prayers as well. I didn't respond to your post because I have a hard time knowing what to say to someone who is facing adversity. I know what to say to myself but I can't say those words on the forum :D.

Bina for some reason I missed your post. I like the idea of photography but my old camera is acting up. But it is close to Christmas so maybe I could ask for some cash to follow through with some of these ideas.

Bruce I have to admit that I haven't done anything besides some body surfing since my surgery and that was after I had my sternal wires removed. Mine was a weird case because the surgeon never was able to find anything wrong with the wires but as soon as he removed them the pain disappeared.

Puzzles are a good inexpensive idea. I know my Mom used to like doing puzzles so maybe we could do one together.

buncle I like the idea of the x-box. I am getting kind of burned out on the play chip online poker.

knightfan from the king of road trips that is an interesting idea if I can afford the gas. My parents have a beach house at Emerald Isle, NC and have though about heading down there for a few days just for a change of scenery. It's kind of cold there and this time of year there is not much to do (no internet connection there) but I always feel more at peace when I am at the coast.

Thanks again for all of the ideas. I have another surgical consult Wednesday with a surgeon that specializes in aortic disease. I will be having a CT scan at 8AM and then I see him at 10AM. I am sure he will say what all of my cardios and surgeons have been saying...you need surgery but you need financial assistance first. At least this surgeon will probably be able to give me a better idea how advanced my aortic root has gotten and how long before it becomes an emergency situation.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone,

Bryan

Back